Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

I wish I could, if I could see them.

For all the hate on CO it'll be the division I shoot when my eyes go to shit.

• racetaco and Damcowboy like this

#22 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

The Bianchi Cup has been won using a 20 min dot in a Tasco 40mm beer can so a large dot can be accurate enough for USPSA distances. Interesting that 50 yds is even considered, how often will you even have a 25 yd target at a USPSA match? Lets consider the actual difference between a 2 minute minute and a 8 minute dot at 25 yds the longest shot you'll probably have at a USPSA match,  the 2 will cover .250 inch and the 8 will take up a full inch. No way is that going to make a difference in accuracy but the small dot will be harder to see all other things being equal. A normal front sight is close to 8 moa.

• Damcowboy likes this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#23 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

The Bianchi Cup has been won using a 20 min dot in a Tasco 40mm beer can so a large dot can be accurate enough for USPSA distances. Interesting that 50 yds is even considered, how often will you even have a 25 yd target at a USPSA match? Lets consider the actual difference between a 2 minute minute and a 8 minute dot at 25 yds the longest shot you'll probably have at a USPSA match,  the 2 will cover .250 inch and the 8 will take up a full inch. No way is that going to make a difference in accuracy but the small dot will be harder to see all other things being equal. A normal front sight is close to 8 moa.

Stop talking sense, only the unavailable 8 MOA red triangle with a 0.25 MOA green tip, bright enough to be seen in the noon day sun in July in Arizona is acceptable.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#24 BHill

BHill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationSouth East Texas

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

For all the hate on CO it'll be the division I shoot when my eyes go to shit.

You can still hate on it until then.

• Peally likes this

#25 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Lets consider the actual difference between a 2 minute minute and a 8 minute dot at 25 yds the longest shot you'll probably have at a USPSA match, the 2 will cover .250 inch and the 8 will take up a full inch. No way is that going to make a difference in accuracy but the small dot will be harder to see all other things being equal. A normal front sight is close to 8 moa.

Isn't the 2 MOA dot equal to 0.5" @ 25 yds and the 8 MOA equal to dot 2" @ 25 yds?

That'd make the 8 MOA dot equal to the height of the upper A zone.

Not necessarily good or bad, just pointing this out.

We regularly see at least 1 stage per month with 30+ yd targets in the WPA Section.

I use a 2.5 MOA dot after trying a 5 MOA dot due to the "aim small, miss small" principal; If my dot/sight is covering the aiming point, I find it harder to put the hole where I want it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• GuruOfGuns and GooldMember like this

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

#26 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

I am totally pissed at my 2.5 DPP. With all this fine trigonometry and minute of angulation science presented here it should cover just over half inch at 25 yards and hence be just a tad too small. I shot it today and the fucker covers most of a 3x5 card.  Yo, Moto, can I say this is just a bad math?

Bonafide asshole

#27 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Reduce brightness to almost invisible to get advertised size. I'm pretty sure i can get my dot onto a patch at 25 if i turn it down a lot.

#28 NickBlasta

NickBlasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

I am totally pissed at my 2.5 DPP. With all this fine trigonometry and minute of angulation science presented here it should cover just over half inch at 25 yards and hence be just a tad too small. I shot it today and the fucker covers most of a 3x5 card. Yo, Moto, can I say this is just a bad math?

They measure it at an appropriate brightness setting for the level of ambient light. If it’s not very bright outside and you turn it on max power it will be larger.

#29 ngodwetrust21

ngodwetrust21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

2.5 to 3 is the correct answer.
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

#30 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

Yes. 2.5 moa deltapooint pro is the verifiable shit for CO.

Three guys locally have ditched RTS2s and triangle deltapoints for the 2.5 model after trying mine.

Insanely precise when turned down two notches. Too bright to get washed out on a bright day and easier to track than the dimmer 8 MOA railway C-MORE on really bright days.

It really does rock.
  • NickBlasta likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#31 Bikerburgess

Bikerburgess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

I always love the discussions about how X dot covers X amount of target so smaller is better ect. 

everyone seems to discount the ability we have to know where the center of a circle is.  as long as you still have a reference point visible for where you want to hit, you would be amazed at how accurate you can be with a large dot. 

If you want to see how well your brain can tell center draw a large circle then put a dot in the middle that is not quite perfectly centered, it will stand out like a sore thumb. 

I'm not saying some people will have a visual preference for how they like a dot to appear, but saying a large dot is inaccurate because it covers the upper A at x distance so how could you hit it is misleading.

• Yard Sale likes this

#32 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

At least one top-5 Open shooter ran a 12 minute dot for years. He'd use the top edge of the dot for precision shots further out. Bonus is less dot offset that way too.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#33 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

Isn't the 2 MOA dot equal to 0.5" @ 25 yds and the 8 MOA equal to dot 2" @ 25 yds?

That'd make the 8 MOA dot equal to the height of the upper A zone.

Not necessarily good or bad, just pointing this out.

We regularly see at least 1 stage per month with 30+ yd targets in the WPA Section.

I use a 2.5 MOA dot after trying a 5 MOA dot due to the "aim small, miss small" principal; If my dot/sight is covering the aiming point, I find it harder to put the hole where I want it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes I failed at precisely getting my point across, most of the matches I go to 25 yds is a long shot with most of the targets at 10-15. A couple of other points, if small dots make you more precise they will be slower...it takes longer to more precise no matter how you do it..a big rough sight picture will be faster. How close the dot is to your face makes a pretty big difference in how much target area it covers, easy to prove just check it. Also if a small dot is not in the window it will take longer to see it, I don't see how a smaller dot is easier to track, can somebody explain that?

I guess I need to look at a 2.5 Delta Pro, I can see it working if it's bright enough, when you adjust most dots to maximum they flare so much the dot is a third larger. I'm pretty happy with the Venom 6 min on my X5 (gasp) right now.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#34 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

On max my 2.5 dpp dot doesnt flare outdoors. I run it 1 step down in most conditions.

#35 benchmstr

benchmstr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

Looking at 2 choices, 4 moa or 8 moa. I've never used a red dot before, but would have picked a 6 moa if it was an option. What are y'all using, and is there really any practical difference between the 2 options?

Really depends on who makes it..a lot of dot makers are full of shit when it comes to dot size...I use a rmr06 on a glock 17 at work..it claims a 3.25moa dot..

That fucking dot is the same size as my deltapoint pro at 7.5 moa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users