Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

You should try sporting clays

No seriously, completely different tempo.  Very little downtime while shooting, even in seriously large matches.

Maybe that's more your speed?

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#22 Beef

Beef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

This is all good stuff for USPSA. I guess it's harder for me in Steel Challenge. There isn't a lot of "work" to do. Just lots of time. Turning the match focus on and off is an area I want to improve.

Everybody loves video of themselves, offer to be a camera man. Commence shit talking and finger puppets while recording. You'll be in demand in short order.
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

#23 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

I liked SlivGods line about wasting my energy on something I have zero control over. Honestly never thought of it like that.

*Mic drop*

SlivGod out.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#24 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

Waiting blows but don’t waste the time. Help your performance and help the sport.

Things you can do:

Coaching. Assist the upcoming shooters both with stage plans and shooting tips based on how they’ve shot earlier stages. Be sure to taper off when the make ready command is given so the shooter has time to digest your advice.

Visualization. Visualize yourself visualizing the stage during a walk thru so when you finally do a walk thru you will be more efficient at visualizing.

Practice. Air gun the stage directly behind it. Squad mates will get out of your way so you can replicate the entire stage. Start when the beep goes off and see if you finish before the unload command is given.

Commerce. Discuss with squad mates anything you have for sale. Even if they can’t close the deal they will enjoy discussing shooting equipment with you.

Reflect. Pick a squad mate and tell him in detail your last match experience and what kept you from moving up three places. Roughly five minutes per stage you shot keeps the story moving.

Video. Stand directly behind a shooter you don’t know and film them, following them as they shoot the stage. This will help them focus and offer you a free walk thru because safety rules don’t apply to people videoing!

Life-planning. Consider that what you are doing right now is the thing you chose of your own free will above all other options you had. Consider how fucking sad that is. Consider how it doesn’t matter because this literally actually was the best option of your metaphorically dumpster fire existence and that you have actually cared about the cost of a bullet down to the thousandth of a penny.
  • slemmo, peterthefish, Buck Turgidson and 4 others like this

On injured reserve.

#25 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

Or sell your 1050 and buy a lee loader (the one that looks like a bastardized pair of pliers).

Then take only enough ammo for stage 1.

Spend the downtime Handloading rounds for subsequent stages.

Focussing your conscious mind on a repetitive task frees your subconscious to think up inventive stage plans.
  • ralloway likes this

#26 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

More live fire practice. Fewer matches.
  • SlivGod and peterthefish like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#27 IceHole

IceHole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

More live fire practice. Fewer matches.

Blasphemy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users