Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

97 eh? Fake news

Yeah in divisions where hairy-assed real men shoot Major. I guess you can get away with 95% or so shooting L-10 Minor.

• GooldMember likes this

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#22 Dennis Solarsky

Dennis Solarsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

At your level. Pick up the time through movement, not in your trigger finger. Production is all about good hits. Definetly want to learn to "shoot faster" but that comes with alot of practice. You can make b class pretty easy by just working on efficient movement and you will see seconds dropping off your time in no time

#23 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

I can't shoot the hairy assed divisons, the itching is too distracting.

#24 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Maybe it's not the hair that's causing the itching.

• Perfecto and ToddKS like this

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#25 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

I'd be a hell of a lot better if I could do everything fast, and then turn it down a notch when actually seeing my sights and then shooting. Its an all or none type of thing I'm having trouble with.

A few dozen replies into the topic, and we finally have a description of the problem. It’s also the one I’m having good luck fighting my way through.

This will sound crazy, but give yourself an array then some movement then another array.

First, work on drawing warpspeed, then consciously shooting the targets way too slow. I mean like all bullets in the same hole kind of slow.

Then downshift and floor it. Pound out a GM-speed reload and the movement and presentation at P2. Then slow back down and bullseye your array.

Now repeat and do the dryfire shooting at B class pace.

And again at “Hang them all on brown” warp drive.

Teach yourself to delibrately vary the speed of the shooting but never accept anything less than 100% speed on dead time. The draw, reload, transitions, movement are always done at redline pace.
  • ralloway and flyingpig like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#26 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

Thats whats everyone's been saying.

#27 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

A few dozen replies into the topic, and we finally have a description of the problem. It’s also the one I’m having good luck fighting my way through.

This will sound crazy, but give yourself an array then some movement then another array.

First, work on drawing warpspeed, then consciously shooting the targets way too slow. I mean like all bullets in the same hole kind of slow.

Then downshift and floor it. Pound out a GM-speed reload and the movement and presentation at P2. Then slow back down and bullseye your array.

Now repeat and do the dryfire shooting at B class pace.

And again at “Hang them all on brown” warp drive.

Teach yourself to delibrately vary the speed of the shooting but never accept anything less than 100% speed on dead time. The draw, reload, transitions, movement are always done at redline pace.

EXACTLY!!  Ha.  I feel like the little kid with his first AMX racetrack on Christmas morning. I can go slow and keep the toy car on the track, but when I go fast the car spins out in the turns and goes bouncing across the living room floor.  hahaha

#28 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

The most recent Rob Leatham interview on the Seeklander podcast contains relevant topics for this discussion.

• flyingpig likes this

#29 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

The most recent Rob Leatham interview on the Seeklander podcast contains relevant topics for this discussion.

Great listen. I also fear deteriorating skills as Rob does. I started uspsa pretty late in life 52. I only hope I have time to get to the top before its too late. I think I have a few good years to get there. we'll see.

#30 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Great listen. I also fear deteriorating skills as Rob does. I started uspsa pretty late in life 52. I only hope I have time to get to the top before its too late. I think I have a few good years to get there. we'll see.

Nope. You’re screwed. I’m 38 and still not a GM.

It could have something to do with my lack of consistent practice, but blaming age is easier.
  • racetaco and flyingpig like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#31 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

Nope. You’re screwed. I’m 38 and still not a GM.

It could have something to do with my lack of consistent practice, but blaming age is easier.

I would be happy with M at my age. On a positive note I just scored my first "A" classifier and it wasn't from just blazing away. It was well within my skill level.....................................I think.  haha

#32 Damcowboy

Damcowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I am a firm believer in Steve Anderson’s philosohy of you can only practice one thing at a time, speed or accuracy, not both. In practice go fast, then go faster. Dont give a shit about A’s (speed mode). If you feel accuracy is an issue shoot groups. Dont go for A’s while trying to speed up, its a fools errand.

Dont use matches as a training aid, they are not. Matches should be shot at as fast as you can call your shots as A’s or close C’s (match mode). This will seem really slow but its how to get the highest hit factor you deserve based on your training you have done. If you dont train you will suck, full stop, and you dont deserve any thing else.

I wouldnt ever allow yourself the thought to go slower, NO, Never. Rather think you will shoot as soon as you can to get A’s or close C’s. If you dont like the result all that means is you have to train harder. You’ll get the result you deserve.
  • ralloway likes this

#33 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

When I say "speed" I guess I mean I've been working on things like starting transitions faster after the last shot of an array, trying to move faster between targets, trying to have my gun up as I come into visible targets, etc etc etc. I think my problem is that when I start pushing those things faster I am having a hard time slowing back down to see my sights. I seem to go ALL fast or ALL slow. I'd be a hell of a lot better if I could do everything fast, and then turn it down a notch when actually seeing my sights and then shooting. Its an all or none type of thing I'm having trouble with.

One of the issues here is developing visual patience. You can work this in both dry and live fire by setting up tight partials and coming in hard on them but not dropping the hammer (or striker if you're moist) until the sights are bang on with the aiming area. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself about sight picture and trigger control in both dry and live fire. Coming in hard here can mean snapping to the target in a transition or running into a shooting position and getting the gun up for the first shot. A partial target that consists of hardcover everywhere but the A-zone might be just the ticket.

Also learn how good a sight picture you need to shoot Alphas at various distances.

On steel, wait until you see white paint on all three sides of your front sight before pulling the trigger.

#34 NoFNWayJose

NoFNWayJose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

The way you talk about stage hit factors leads me to believe you don't yet have a clear understanding of the scoring system.

There are no valid conclusions to be drawn from comparing stage hit factors from match to match, because every stage is different.

The statistics that you need to track over time are percentage of points shot and relative results over time against some other, better, and consistent competitor who shoots the same matches as you.

I disagree, while certain stage types (field courses or stand and deliver) can have vastly different high hit factors for the overall winner, increases your high factors is definitely a marked improvement over time. Going from 3.5 to 5.5 for a field course is a significant improvement.

You would have to classify the stage types a bit for accurate data, and just going from a 6.5 to a 8.5 one time doesn't indicate an improvement, but an upward trend over time would certainly show improvement. Since it is points per second, the stage differences normalize. Bigger stages with more points take longer to shoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users