Photo

I've shot 32 matches and I still don't know.......

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

A.   Is it frowned upon to go up to the safe table with loaded magazines IN you're belt? I never really asked. I just suspect its no big deal.

B.  If you get to a match and somehow notice there is an empty magazine inserted in your gun at the safe table before un-bagging it what are you supposed to do? Wheres the proper place to remove an empty magazine before holstering your gun?

just a couple of things I ponder......and don't really know the answer to.

#2 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

Safe table with loaded mags in your belt is cool. If your bagged gun has a mag in it. Tell an RO or MD it’s no biggie

#3 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Some *ranges* have a no mags at the safe area rule, but USPSA is no handling mags at a safe area.

Range rules trump USPSA rules, but this can get sticky and is best worked out beforehand.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#4 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

USPSA says no handling of ammo or loaded mags or even dummy rounds within boundary of safe area.

Range rules can get pretty wild

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#5 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Some *ranges* have a no mags at the safe area rule, but USPSA is no handling mags at a safe area.

Range rules trump USPSA rules, but this can get sticky and is best worked out beforehand.

I’m surprised, Guano. You got this one wrong. Handling empty mags is OK.

2.4.1.3 Practice the insertion and removal of empty magazines and/or to cycle the action of a firearm.
  • Part Of Me likes this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#6 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:42 PM

If there's an empty mag in your gun when you unbag it, you're fine. Just make sure it's not your dryfire mag with dummies in it, that's bad. 

#7 AlphaCharis

AlphaCharis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

If a range/club wants to shoot USPSA they, for the most part, need to be willing to adhere to the ruleset.

3.3  Applicability of rules

USPSA matches are governed by the rules applicable to the discipline. Host organizations may not enforce local rules except to comply with legislation or legal precedent in the applicable jurisdiction.  Any voluntarily adopted rules that are not in compliance with these rules must not be applied to USPSA matches without the express written consent of the President of USPSA. All local rules allowed under these provisions will be documented at USPSA HQ.

A.   Is it frowned upon to go up to the safe table with loaded magazines IN you're belt? I never really asked. I just suspect its no big deal.

Some prefer to go to the safe table without mags in their belt to avoid inadvertent handling.  Like maybe thinking they had emptied their mag to dryfire, and then realizing they hadn't - or something like that.  

#8 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

To avoid a boatload of derp and range lawyer stupidity I just leave all magazines in my bag away from the table. I don't store guns with mags in them so that one also has a pretty easy solution: don't freaking do that and it's not a problem.

• ralloway, racetaco and Beef like this

#9 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

To avoid a boatload of derp and range lawyer stupidity I just leave all magazines in my bag away from the table. I don't store guns with mags in them so that one also has a pretty easy solution: don't freaking do that and it's not a problem.

Every now and again I'll wake up before  a match and do a bit of dry fire and a few mag changes before I leave the house. It has happened that I have left an empty mag in my gun in the rush to leave for the match. 

#10 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

Be a little late and unload it bro.

#11 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

I’m surprised, Guano. You got this one wrong. Handling empty mags is OK.

2.4.1.3 Practice the insertion and removal of empty magazines and/or to cycle the action of a firearm.

My RO Cert expired, I haven’t read the rule book in a while, and I clearly can’t be trusted.

A bud is trying to get me to sign up for a CRO class. The USPSA web site unfairly profiled me as a slacker and won’t let me sign up tho.

I like the idea of being fully up on the rules, but truthfuly my new job/life doesn’t leave me the time to be doing RO/CRO duty at majors. I’m happy to shoot, stage design (weeknights), RO/scorekeep local matches and occasionally get out to shoot a major at this point.

In Doodie, Veritas.

#12 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

If a range/club wants to shoot USPSA they, for the most part, need to be willing to adhere to the ruleset.

3.3 Applicability of rules
USPSA matches are governed by the rules applicable to the discipline. Host organizations may not enforce local rules except to comply with legislation or legal precedent in the applicable jurisdiction. Any voluntarily adopted rules that are not in compliance with these rules must not be applied to USPSA matches without the express written consent of the President of USPSA. All local rules allowed under these provisions will be documented at USPSA HQ.

Some prefer to go to the safe table without mags in their belt to avoid inadvertent handling. Like maybe thinking they had emptied their mag to dryfire, and then realizing they hadn't - or something like that.

Something to resolve at an upcoming board meeting, hardly the first time there has been an inadvertent conflict between range and xyz sport rules (this range probably hosts 20 different types of matches). I haven’t seen any attempt to enforce the range rule at a USPSA match to date, mostly because the local shooters just follow the range rules and don’t worry about it and the people who know the difference haven’t been motvated enough to address it. I need to get motivated to go deal with the 12 grumpy old guys on the board (of which I am one).

In Doodie, Veritas.

#13 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

RO when you're old and retired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users