#21 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

What are your scores looking like for El Pres? That's the only drill I have a decent idea in my head as far as my own performance.

Video contains more info, but generally speaking:

Good runs were in the 5.5 range with mostly alphas, rest being close Cs.

bad runs were 6.0 to 6.5 range, with hits varying. There were a number of fucked reloads

• Peally likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#22 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:02 PM

What are your average draw times and head box splits on distance changeup?

#23 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:23 AM

What are your average draw times and head box splits on distance changeup?

Draw: 1.05 - 1.10. Let's say 1.10. 

Head split: .6 average 

#24 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:00 AM

Is your draw slow due to getting it out of the holster (let's call it hand speed) or are you having to fuss or fix your sights once extended to the target (index)?

#25 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

My analysis is that it's a combination of time from clearing the holster out to target + not "rounding the edges" (Ben terminology) on when I break the shot. 

Differing opinions are welcome.

Reviewing the video today, it appears I was also slow as hell transitioning from the head to the close target. I'm not sure why that is; it has typically been a strength of mine. 

#26 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

Looks like you're dropping into slow motion after you grab the gun and doing a Timmy-style press out. I was expecting a 360° scan at the end of the drill. What's up with that?

#27 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

Looks like you're dropping into slow motion after you grab the gun and doing a Timmy-style press out. I was expecting a 360° scan at the end of the drill. What's up with that?

I suspect it's an irritating byproduct of changing both my draw and grip. Maybe I should throw in the towel and add the scan too.

ETA: Considering that issue did not exist the last time I shot DC, which was before my changes, I'm pretty confident in that. Draw times on that day were averaging .9. 

• Stubb likes this

#28 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

This is what I noticed immediately.

There is a hitch, or pause, after clearing the holster.  

I wondered to myself if you were not entirely comfortable with your grip or something and thus artificially slowing down to confirm or shift...

I would sort that draw out first.  Get comfortable and regain your index.  We're probably looking for something like .85-.90 repeatably at five yards.

• TCB likes this

#29 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

This is what I noticed immediately.

There is a hitch, or pause, after clearing the holster.  

I wondered to myself if you were not entirely comfortable with your grip or something and thus artificially slowing down to confirm or shift...

I would sort that draw out first.  Get comfortable and regain your index.  We're probably looking for something like .85-.90 repeatably at five yards.

Agreed entirely. Unfortunately, the new draw is a small step backwards. But, as said before, I think it's for a long term benefit.  .85-.90 is highly realistic, so my brain says Yes, but my ego says Faster! 

#30 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

That hitching press-out is more apparent on the El Prez runs.

It's almost as if your hands/wrists are connected to your torso by a length of rope; when you punch out, it is sort of like you pull the rope tight and there is a little bounce or wobble as you reach maximum extension.

I have a sneaking suspicion you are carrying a lot of tension in your arms/wrists/elbows with this new foreign technique.  It's causing you to be a little mechanical and robotic in movement as opposed to the effortless smoothness that produces the precise and quick transitions.

Try reducing the muscle you're putting into the process.

• SlivGod likes this

#31 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:52 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion you are carrying a lot of tension in your arms/wrists/elbows with this new foreign technique.  It's causing you to be a little mechanical and robotic in movement as opposed to the effortless smoothness that produces the precise and quick transitions.

Try reducing the muscle you're putting into the process.

I think that's a fair analysis, and definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on. I've become far more aware of muscle tension during draws and reloads during dryfire. But, I paid zero attention to it at the range. 

#32 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Two random tidbits from this weekend: 

1.  My friend/training partner/protege-of-sorts came back from A6 and asked for analysis of his match + guidance on his training going forward. Just like law school, I found it incredibly useful, for myself, to try to explain things to others in a reasonable way and also offer reasonable answers to their inquiries. 

2.  I've started a rehab/prehab regime. Thanks to BEnos, I found this guide: https://www.absolute...ooters-elbow/. I also found a simple stretching routine. Both of these will be daily (and the stretching actually  hourly) for the foreseeable future. Following the guides, that will probably reduce to 3 times per week once I'm back to full health. 

• ralloway likes this

#33 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Working a set of expand-your-hand bands was probably the most helpful thing when I had a bout of pain in my right elbow some time ago. Another thing that helped clear it up was realizing that I shouldn't be gripping so hard with my right (dominant) hand.

I highly recommend something like 5-minute flow in the morning if you're past 35 or so. I also do some quick stretching throughout the day.

• SlivGod likes this

#34 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

I'm a big fan of the bands. But I realized I can, and should be, doing more, especially with my current state of inury. 

I'm much younger than that. But thanks to the likes of Joe Rogan, I recognize the value of establishing good stretching routines early on and maintaining them. I'm glad to see more people embracing healthier options. 

#35 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

After getting our asses kicked by winter storms (Mid-April whiteouts are normal, right?), it looks like the weather is finally breaking today. I'm going to get in a quick, last-minute range session. I just plan to shoots some Dots to enforce fundamentals, and may do some simple movement stuff, like "9 Lives," if time allows. 

Then I'll be getting in the car well before the sun is up to head to Lexington. See some of you at Bluegrass. Say Hi if you want. Or don't. I don't give a shit.

• ralloway, Beef and Stranger Danger like this

#36 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

Holy shit did I shoot awful at BITB. Scores are already in, and they certainly reflect my lack of preparation. 

Turner shot a god damn amazing match. He deserved that W.

• ralloway likes this

#37 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:10 AM

Try the Eamann Tech 11lb main. Sets off S&B’s 100% when combined with an ext FP & their light FP spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

Now that I've had a full day to lick my wounds and reflect on BITB, I've compiled some thoughts. The two fundamental issues seem to be: 1) A severe lack of confidence, and 2) Pitiful shot calling. 

1. Lack of confidence

-  This manifested in being SLOWWWWW. Averaged out, I was about a second off pace, per stage, for the entire match. My buddy even commented mid-match that I looked unsure in my movements.

-  I'd really like to blame the shitty winter and the time-suck of school, but I won't. I firmly believe there's always a way. Here, the primary issue is not only that this was my first match of the year (and the first in almost 6 months) or that I have only live-fired a couple of times since last season. The real issue is that I haven't translated my speed and aggression in dryfire to live fire. It can be done; I just haven't.

-  I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is some lingering fear, or self doubt, holding me back. I don't know what it is; I can't articulate it; and I haven't faced it yet. That will take more introspection. 

-  A contributing factor was simply poor and irregular diet. I am normally religious about what, how much, and how frequently I eat and drink at a match. That process went out the window here. I lost focus and energy as the day wore on. 

-  Lastly, I did not come in with a match plan. Without going full nerd on what that means to me and my performance, I will just say that it definitely contributed to my hesitation and lack of focus. 

2. Shot calling sucked

-  I dropped a lot of points.  Like, a lot, a lot.  On top of shooting too many Cs, I shot 13 Deltas across 10 stages. THIRTEEN.  Granted, this stemmed from poor trigger control (mainly), plus some instances of sweeping transitions (One of my 2 Mikes was on the easiest fucking target of the match, the ~3 yard target on Stage 6 where you finished. I pulled off one target early and clipped a D, then did it again and whiffed the second shot altogether) and poor sight discipline (Letting the sights float around on the middle, far target on Stage 9 between the 2 partials).  However, the bigger issue is... I was fucking surprised by every single D and Mike. 

-  Admittedly, this ties to the above section: I've found my shot calling deteriorates pretty quickly without live fire.

-  With the exception of one Delta on Stage 10*, I could have easily remedied every single Delta and Mike, and corrected some of the Charlies, had I called them. 

*  Would have required a standing reload to remedy, thus not something to realistically fix in the moment.

There were, no doubt, other issues to work on. But those two dragged me down in a substantial way.

All in all, I think a top 15 finish is a safe estimate of where I should have been (near the 85% mark), and a top 10 finish was within my grasp (closer to the 90% mark). To add insult to injury, I now have to step away from shooting for ~3 weeks to focus on Finals. If I do anything at all during that time, it will be maybe 15 mins of dryfire in a day. That sucks. All I want to do now is get back to shooting, and shooting a lot.

ETA: Match footage.

The way our squad order was, I didn't bother asking for video. My buddy managed to get 4 stages for me, however. 

1. Stage 5:   Why is your draw so slow?! Why aren't you hosing that first array?....  Why the FUCK are you moving so slow during the SOTM and run to last position? 
  2. Stage 7:  Nice job missing your draw, fuck face.  .... Didn't settle into the second position fast enough ...  Why is your last transition so fucking slow?
  3. Stage 9:  Slow. Slowwwww. WHAT IS HAPPENING BETWEEN THE SECOND AND THIRD POSITION?! ....   Speed. the. fuck. up.
  4. Stage 10:  Okay, lifting my leg like a dog taking a piss is funny as fuck. That's definitely not how I remember it in my head ..... You got the gun up WAY too late for the second array, dumb ass. ... MAYBE RELOAD EVEN SLOWER INTO THE PORT

That was painful to watch. Holy shit.

#39 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Working a set of expand-your-hand bands was probably the most helpful thing when I had a bout of pain in my right elbow some time ago. Another thing that helped clear it up was realizing that I shouldn't be gripping so hard with my right (dominant) hand.

I highly recommend something like 5-minute flow in the morning if you're past 35 or so. I also do some quick stretching throughout the day.

I fixed my elbow tendonitis in my dominant hand by backing off the grip... now I've got it in my non-dominant hand.  Getting old is a motherfucker.

• SlivGod likes this

#40 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Taking a quick break from writing my memo about an easement dispute (you have to be a special kind of stupid, like me, to go to law school) to look at social media and contemplate shooting things. 

Looking forward, one of the top priorities is increasing my aggression and confidence exponentially. On that topic, Ben posted a stage video today on his social media platforms that got me thinking about risk v. reward. I know his method of moving uprange is most effective (I've been adopting it myself) and I know it does not break the 180. However, I also know that there are a lot of stupid ROs out there, and there's a risk of one calling that movement as a DQ.  It's certainly a conversation I'll be having often in the near future, but I believe I will also add two things to the docket: 1)  Videoing range sessions with it, from various angles, to see how close it appears to come to the 180, and 2)  Testing it at the first local match I can to gauge an RO's perspective in a setting that's a wee bit less important than a major. 

• ralloway and TCB like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users