163 replies to this topic

#41 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

I suspect that Ben would get a little more benefit of the doubt than most, right or wrong.  I have the same concerns you do.  

• SlivGod likes this

#42 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

I suspect that Ben would get a little more benefit of the doubt than most, right or wrong.  I have the same concerns you do.  

I've heard it both ways: the Super Squad gets special treatment, and the Super Squad gets shit on. I don't know. But, if I'm going to get RO-fucked, I'd rather find out at a match that doesn't count for much. 

• TCB likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#43 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Definitely.  Watching Ben's videos the last couple of days and the Chris Tilley Shoots Production video that BenB posted really drives home the point that I need to move much more aggressively.

• SlivGod likes this

#44 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

I'm backkkkkkkk. Final exams and starting my new job kept me from even touching my gun for almost a month. 

Tonight was my first live session since BITB, and - apparently - a total absence was what I needed to get my mojo back.  I started with Doubles and ended with a handful of 4 Aces. 

Doubles

I ran the full gambit of 48 rounds at each distance specified in the book. It went shockingly well, considering the circumstances.

--5 yards: 46/48 (95.83%) /// 95% is passing

--10 yards: 43/48 (89.58%) /// 90% " "

--15 yards: 42/48 (87.5%) /// 80% " "

--20 yards: 33/48 (68.75%) ///  70% " "

--25 yards: 28/48 (58.33%)  /// 60% " "

Some notes: 1) My new grip is paying off incredibly well, particularly being neutral with my WH thumb... The sights were tracking, comparatively, straight up and down today. 2) I really like this drill. I may incorporate an abbreviated version into each range session (~16-24 rounds at each distance). 3) I'm really terrible at hosing. The fastest splits I can get at the 5 yard line is a rare .17 and lots of .18s. 

4 Aces

- 2.43, clean was the best I could do today. All runs were clean-ish, a few close Cs. Most were in the 2.80-85 range, with draws averaging 1.05 and reloads fluctuating from 1.1 - 1.3. My biggest stupidity was getting reloads done fast, and then delaying hard on the third shot. 

- The fastest draw today was .95. Not great. But, I did a moment of dryfire to just a sight picture at .7s (like I do at home) and had no problem. There's a lag between getting on target and throwing the trigger. The .95 draw came on the last run when I made sure to "round the edges" and get on the trigger sooner. 

All in all, I'm super happy. Tonight was not perfect, but it re-instilled a lot of my confidence. Tomorrow is another live fire night and, weather dependent, there's a club match on Sunday. 

• Stubb, Sweet T, TCB and 1 other like this

#45 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

Ran Bill Drills and a short movement drill today. 

I alternated between 7 and 20 yard Bill Drills. Cold 7 was 2.2, and was 2.0x at a consistent pace afterwards. When I started to push, the best I could do was 1.8x - 1.9x. I was able to push draws down to .85 - .95. The 20 yards were a bit sporadic... I was throwing shots over the top of the Classic (a target I rarely practice on) thanks to not letting the front sight settle in the notch enough and holding too high in the A zone. The majority of runs were around 3.3, with the better runs being in the 2.8 range. It never ceases to amuse me how the fastest runs are often the most accurate, and that gripping harder is almost always the answer. 

The movement drill was only 2 - 3 yards, meant to work short, aggressive movement. It ultimately went very well with the time between the positions starting at about 1.1 and ending in the .6 to .7 range. I added in some reloads between positions and the time was fairly negligible, with an average difference of a quarter second slower. It's a lot of fun to see how early, and how quickly, you can move and still get good hits. Shockingly, things that I work hard in dry fire go well in live fire. 

• Stubb, racetaco and Beef like this

#46 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Today is the first time ever I've written off a match as just a more expensive practice. It was dumb. While the rain and mud were minor contributing factors, the sole "killer" was that 3 out of the 6 stages were nowhere near legal. The classifier was fine. One stage was fine. The sixth stage was legal but abysmal. 

The result was 7th overall, and 2nd in Production. https://practiscore....lts/new/57256 

Stage 6, the classifier (99-07 "Both Sides Now #1"): Really bummed I jerked the trigger and hit M/NS on the second string (the tightest target). Had I not done that, it would have been a 117% run. Instead, it was a low A class score.

Stage 1: My hands were still freezing and couldn't feel them. Rather than taking the time to mentally ready and prepare for that, I just tried to cope (wrong choice). I crushed the competition, but shot 9 Cs and 2 Ds. That was a very valuable lesson. 

Stage 2: The legal, but lame, stage. I done fucked up. I missed my draw about 1/2" low on the grip... I chose an aggressive start position that changed my draw, but didn't do any practice draws during Make Ready. DUMB. So, I had to stop after the first target to readjust my grip, which was the wrong target to do it on. That target had pretty much everything but the C and D zones blocked by a barrel, and when I got back on target I clipped the barrel and never called it. Picked up a mike thanks to the barrel hit not scoring.  That alone cost me the Production win, fwiw. 

Stage 3: I "shot" Delta-Mike on the last target. To be honest, I don't even remember shooting that target. But, no FTSA was called... so I guess I did? This was one of the illegal stages and everyone's walk-throughs got fucked up by trying to figure out a stage that had no fault lines and "must shoot X targets from position Y" nonsense. 

Stage 4: I'm pretty okay with this stage. The only real issues were 2 makeups on steel, and I took 2 makeups on two targets that only had the upper A zone available besides part of the lower C/D. I foolishly tried to aggressively collect points on those. Neither of those connected; they were about 1/8" low. 

Stage 5: Probably the dumbest, most illegal stage I've ever seen. Despite a cushy stage win there, I'm not happy that I left a piece of steel standing (that HAD to be taken from that port, per the "stage rules") and decided to go back for it. Leaving it standing was dumb, going back in a panic was even dumber. That probably added 3 seconds to my stage time.

It was part of a 5 popper array, one of which activated a disappearing drop turner about 2 or 3 steps around the corner of the wall. My original plan was to shoot all 5, know they were down, and skip the drop turner. I decided against that plan, and hurried out of the port to try to get to the turner. It was already gone, then I noticed the popper standing, remembered it couldn't be made up there, went back, shot it, and moved on. Yikes. 

The good, however, came from my buddy. He didn't get the run on video, but claimed my first two positions were "a GM performance," which is a very nice compliment for me. I really wish it had been on video. His claim is that I drew, shot 3 poppers in the first position, moved ~3 yards to the second position for the Max Trap on its way up and a hoser target, and exited that position in "easily under 3 seconds." I'm sure there's some bias there thanks to being a friend, but I appreciated the kind words nonetheless. 

Oh, also, the Federal 150gr Syntech is good stuff. I will most likely order some as major match ammo once I shoot up what I've made for this year. 

All in all, just a really strange match. I don't really know what else to say. I shot well, and at the same time, I really did NOT shoot well. The stages and lack of dexterity just made it a practice day to me. 

#47 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

5/23 live fire practice. Ran the Accelerator most of the time and then finished with a movement drill to check the progression of running like I actually mean it. 

Accelerator:

- Freakishly consistent today at 5.7x when everything worked, and 6.3x with a slightly bobbled reload. Very few runs landed outside of those times. I was getting a little irritated because, going strictly off memory, I thought this was supposed to be done in 5.5 or less and couldn't figure out how I was going to shave 3/10ths of a second off. My brain kicked on later. 

- The most important lessons came from focus. The first couple runs SUCKED because I was pissed off about life things. Then I got my head on straight, and things started to click. 

- After I turned the camera off, I decided to do a single conservative, match-mode run. Of course, it ended up being my best at 5.50 with 2 Cs. Beforehand, I anticipated a 6.0 run with good hits. That extra level of focus - apparently - made all the difference. I really need to enter that headspace for the entirety of practice. I'm dying to know what aggressive practice runs would look like with that level of focus. 

- Some random strings had inconsistent errors, like leaving the middle target early or dropping shots low on the 25y target. Hitting things always needs work. Just mildly annoying when issues aren't consistent for analysis purposes. 

- Some video posted here if you care: https://www.instagra...aken-by=slivgod. You probably know what the drill looks like by now.

- Draws and reloads are pretty well back to where they should be. THANK GOD.

Movement

- Set up the drill with about 8 yards between positions. I took the closest target from the first array as I was leaving, and then had a single steel plate to shoot in the second position. Most runs were right around 1.6, with the best being in the 1.4-1.5 range. I am definitely moving a lot better in terms of actually running when it's time to do so.

- Even with that amount of space between positions, times were almost identical between breaking my grip and keeping both hands on the gun. Next time, I'll move them much further apart.

Randomness

I think there was some sort of family or youth night going on at the range tonight, as it was packed with lots of teenagers present. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I heard a single gunshot in the next bay over followed by lots of yelling, screaming, and [what sounded like] general hysterics. Really hoping nothing bad happened, intentional or accidental. I'll be back tomorrow. Fingers crossed there's no police tape there when I arrive.

#48 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

Randomness:
I think there was some sort of family or youth night going on at the range tonight, as it was packed with lots of teenagers present. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I heard a single gunshot in the next bay over followed by lots of yelling, screaming, and [what sounded like] general hysterics. Really hoping nothing bad happened, intentional or accidental. I'll be back tomorrow. Fingers crossed there's no police tape there when I arrive.

Exact reason I don’t go to WMA/Public outdoor ranges any more. Seen more than enough general fuckery and exploding guns to ever go back.

#49 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Exact reason I don’t go to WMA/Public outdoor ranges any more. Seen more than enough general fuckery and exploding guns to ever go back.

This is a very private club. I stopped doing public ranges years ago.

#50 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Distance Change up and a mini stage last night.

DC:
Consistently in the 2.6s. It took a 3 or 4 runs to stop being an idiot on the head box (those were Alpha, Mike every time). Then I really focused on trying to hit the upper A zone. I need to hold maybe an inch higher; most runs were punching rounds a quarter inch below that perf.
When I ran near to far, I was dropping ALL the points on the close targets from leaving early and getting on the trigger too soon. I went home and dry fired that immediately to work on the visual patience.

Set up a really hard fake stage:
Grip and trigger control have noticeably improved. Unloaded starts aren't great but have improved. Moving reloads need to be polished a bit. I went home and worked on those in dry fire immediately as well. I also need to be more cognizant of when I need to start decelerating, and to work on getting on the trigger sooner as soon as sights are aligned - even on difficult targets.

Ran into my first ever issue with the BOSS. All of the screws had started to back out, so I got to work with Loc Tite. I'm glad I noticed before the match tomorrow.
  • Stubb and Sweet T like this

#51 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

Distance Change up and a mini stage last night.

DC:
Consistently in the 2.6s. It took a 3 or 4 runs to stop being an idiot on the head box (those were Alpha, Mike every time). Then I really focused on trying to hit the upper A zone. I need to hold maybe an inch higher; most runs were punching rounds a quarter inch below that perf.

18l76m.jpg

That's a super sporting time on DC. For me, consistent runs, like when I'm trying to shoot it clean a couple times in a row, land in the 3.1x range. 

• SlivGod likes this

#52 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

That's a super sporting time on DC. For me, consistent runs, like when I'm trying to shoot it clean a couple times in a row, land in the 3.1x range. 

That's a damn fine compliment considering the source, thank you. 

However, all of my training over the past few months has been fruitless. I was willing to write off the last match thanks to the circumstances. But, the match I shot on Saturday was abysmal. Pretty sure I shot more penalties in one day than I did all of 2017 (if that's an exaggeration, it's not by much). I could give some reasons (read: excuses) for that, but I won't. I know what went wrong and I know how to fix it. 

I'll try to piece together a match video tomorrow if I find some free time. Short version: some things have improved greatly, most notably my movement, but my actual shooting portion SUCKED. While some misses were more forgivable (e.g., two mikes on two tuxedos at ~25-30 yards, about 1/4" into the black), most of them were just plain sloppiness. Sloppy grip, sloppy trigger control, and sloppy shot calling. 

#53 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

Want to watch some bullshit? Here you go. Want to save 3 minutes of your life? Don't watch the bullshit. 

• CheesyD likes this

#54 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

Really good practice session tonight. I started with 16 dots at 7 yards. No passing score on any consecutive 6, but they were overall okay. I took the time to really calm myself beforehand and get into a proper headspace, and decided to focus HARD on the front sight. The first few dots were one ragged hole. Then I started to peek over the top of the gun like an idiot, and things started to open up. 

I set up the array in this video to work some things I've been struggling with. For whatever reason, sideways targets always fuck me up. I started with safe, conservative, repeatable runs while static. They were consistently in the 3.4-3.6 range. When I pushed hard, I got it down to just above 3 (~3.10 - 3.15). Then I made a short course out of it. 

The video is a lot of me scoring the targets and blabbering on, so not much entertainment value. 

I'm realizing that I need to spend more time like today, where I'm actually pushing and not afraid to make mistakes. Conservative runs are okay for checking how DF is going, or a few in a row to test consistency. But, as somebody who wants to break into the next tier, I really need to lay it all on the line. 

Oh, and thanks to SweetT, I'm back to my beloved SSI Scales and have dumped my VZ palm swells. I still need one more set, so if you're looking to be rid of yours, holler at me. 

• JAnderson likes this

#55 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

Not a good session today. I was consistently shooting mikes on the tuxedo, and pretty regularly missing one out of the three mini poppers. 

My "warmup" was trying the GM Test. I ran it twice. The first time was comically terrible. The second time was not much better. Only 3 As the entire fucking run. Everything else was within in an inch of the perf, but were all Cs - and scattered entirely around the A zone. 

I started with the tuxedo at about 11y hard left, the 3 steel at 15y dead center, and the open target at 7y hard right. When I tried to muscle the gun into the open target, I was throwing the shots way left (like C/D perf). Once I trusted that the gun was going to where I was looking, that cleaned up. The tuxedo never really got better.

Then I moved the targets for less of a swing, but moved the tuxedo all the way back. Amusingly, the first 2 runs were clean. That stopped quickly. Near the end, the sun got to the right angle where shots on the 25y tuxedo were a smoke screen. I especially was shooting A/M there, with the occasional 2M. 

Short video of second setup here: https://www.instagra...en-by=slivgod 

My real takeaways from today:

1. I think I need to simplify my practice some. I've subscribed to the method of "make practice REALLY hard so matches are easy." Well, that's great. But, I think I've made things too hard. I don't feel particularly productive on days like today; it crushes my confidence; and it makes me wonder if I'm going BACKWARDS in my ability rather than developing.  I vaguely recall somebody saying your practice is too hard if you shoot a Mike on every run. That was very much me today.

2. It makes me irrationally pissed when I drop Cs on close, open targets. That may be a good thing. There's really no reason to do so. Even really close Cs irritate the shit out of me. 

3. I used to shoot better when I got mad. That's no longer the case. I had an aggravating day, came in ready to shred alphas, and instead shot like shit. 

4. I really need to clean my practice gun. Oops.

• JAnderson likes this

#56 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

I spent today's session just working on accuracy stuff. I alternated between various accuracy-heavy drills: dots, 25y bill drills, String 3 of "Baseball Standards," a SHO walkback drill, and... I think that's it. I purposely did not stay on any one drill because I did not want to focus on successfully running a drill, I wanted to successfully be accurate the whole session. In general, it was a success. My shot calling still needs to shake some rust off. I'm also trying to break my habit from dryfire for how far I let off the trigger during SA, and only take it out to reset. Usually my finger comes slightly off the trigger, which is both inefficient and - I believe - lends to lower quality trigger control.

In case you're wondering, accuracy at speed is easy. You just need to grip the fuck out of the gun, pull the trigger straight to the rear, and focus hard on the front sight. Easy, right?

.... right? 

• JAnderson likes this

#57 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

Fairly light session today. 

One of my goals for this year is to have a GM "real" run on Baseball Standards. "Real" meaning a totally in control run (no just spraying bullets and getting lucky) and also only running the drill no more than 3-5 times. Ideally, the GM run would be a cold run, but whatever. Today was my first time shooting it start to finish. 

I only used one target at 15y and one at 25 rather than setting up the duplicates. 

Cold run: 7C on each target. = 76.67% ---- All of them were nearly touching the A perf  :angry:

2nd run: 15y, 4C / 25y, 3c  = 88.33% (+ one shot over the time limit on string 3, so actual % would be lower)

3rd run: 15y, 5C (all from the WHO string; I missed my grip on the transfer) / 25y, 4C, 2D (everything low) = 78.33% (+ one shot over the time limit on string 3, so actual % would be lower)

Then I switched to a "triangle drill" (name stolen from Stubb). The only video I took is here: https://www.instagra...W1YZPkJvmRk0/ 

Overall, it went quite well. I struggled a fair amount on both targets I entered on; one was wide open at 5 yards, the other was a partial at 7 yard with only the upper half of the A zone available. Neither were a disaster, but I was pretty inconsistent on shooting Alphas on them. Oddly enough, the far, open target at 25 yards was consistently my best scoring target of the day. This pleases me, as I was getting incredibly frustrated with not being able to hit things just a few days ago. 

• Michel Neaucheutte likes this

#58 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

A pretty uneventful weekend as the match got cancelled due to weather. However, I've been experimenting in SOTM with how far to aim off of penalty areas, which has lead to a lot of frustration and "aha!" moments simultaneously.

I also noticed that my new schedule of dry fire really front loads position entry and exit practice. I'll be rearranging my system so that it is more evenly disbursed, as I've noticed some slumps in performance with regards to those skills.

Lastly, I've still not found a great solution for fairly working tight leans at home. Mental fault lines don't have quite the same effect, and all tangible setups I've tried so far slide around on the carpet, which both defeats the point and is mildly dangerous. But my tight lean skills suck, so it's a high priority now.

#59 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

A pretty uneventful weekend as the match got cancelled due to weather. However, I've been experimenting in SOTM with how far to aim off of penalty areas, which has lead to a lot of frustration and "aha!" moments simultaneously.

I also noticed that my new schedule of dry fire really front loads position entry and exit practice. I'll be rearranging my system so that it is more evenly disbursed, as I've noticed some slumps in performance with regards to those skills.

Lastly, I've still not found a great solution for fairly working tight leans at home. Mental fault lines don't have quite the same effect, and all tangible setups I've tried so far slide around on the carpet, which both defeats the point and is mildly dangerous. But my tight lean skills suck, so it's a high priority now.

Velcro on the bottom of a piece of 2”x2”

#60 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

Velcro on the bottom of a piece of 2”x2”

Is that sturdy enough for you to stand on the fault line like you would in a match?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users