#62 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

It won’t slide, but it’s not 8” spikes in the dirt.

#63 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

I use some drywall screws long enough to poke through the bottom of the fault line and grab the old, crappy carpet in my dry fire area. No sliding and I can still take the fault lines to the range without worry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

#64 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

Blake Drills and Criss Cross tonight. I ran each drill about 20 times at the listed distances. 

Blake Drills:

7 yards. for the life of me, I could not put this together. I NEVER made the 2.0 time and hits were garbage. Times were closer to the 2.2-2.3 range. A lot of pulling across the middle target for consistent Cs and Ds, and similar problems on the draw target - whether that be mashing the trigger trying to shave off time or leaving early. Sometimes that manifested as Mikes. Near the end, it got a little better in terms of hits, but my 1.0x draw + ~.22 splits just couldn't pull off the right time. Also, if I had a dime for every Charlie I've shot recently that was within an inch of the A perf, I would be a billionaire. Fuck. 

10 yards. DRASTICALLY better. I think this is for 2 reasons: 1) The lion's share of my dryfire is done no closer than 10 yards, so it's very familiar and comfortable territory. 2) My naturally slow splits (~.22-.25) work just fine at that distance, and that also means I'm not rushing, thus not throwing shots like an idiot. I was generally on pace and the hits were better, but still not great. Times remained in the 2.2x range.

Criss Cross:

10 yards: Easily made the 6.0s guide time. Hits were generally fine. I occasionally overswung on the 2nd body target during the first string, thus shooting low-left. Head shots were all over the place, but I'm okay with that. My goal for today was to push, rather than shoot comfortably, and that's what I did. I called all Mikes on the heads so I was even okay with my failures here.

7 yards:  Great confidence booster. I was well under the 5.5s guide time and hits were no problem. Again, I was still pushing, so head shots were typically just 2 on paper rather than 2 in the credit card. My best run was 5.15 with 2c on the bodies and all hits on the heads (I wasn't scoring them A vs C, sorry)

BLAKE DRILL REDUX:

I was feeling better from Criss Cross and still pissed at how poorly the 7 Blakes went, so I left the targets at 7 for a couple more runs on Blake Drills with what was left in my mags. Oh god, SO much better. I never broke 2.0, but they were all 2.0x. I found that if I focused on what I was doing with my support hand during the draw, I was hitting faster, more consistent times on the draw. I also focused hard on not letting way off the trigger between shots, which sped up splits and assists me in my accuracy (less slappy). I was also "in the zone" for being target focused and letting my eyes guide the sights, rather than the other way around. Big sigh of relief from this guy.

No dry fire after the range tonight. I have too many other things on my plate today.

• TCB likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#65 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Tonight was just dryfire, but it led to a pretty interest self-realization that I need to spend more time getting my mental game back into shape. I wasn't sticking reloads, missing part times, having bad grip, etc etc etc. Just doing everything wrong. 

Then I caught myself having thoughts like "Maybe I don't know how to gun anymore... maybe I never knew how to gun... maybe I've peaked" and put an end to that shit. I've been working too fucking hard in practice to throw everything out the window with thoughts like that. I'm going to revisit With Winning in Mind this weekend just as a framing point, and start putting in the necessary work on that aspect of my game to get back into the fight mentally.

• Sweet T and racetaco like this

#66 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

If you haven’t listened to it, go find the newest episode of Cody Axon & Joel Park’s “Shoot Fast Podcast” where they interview Ben Stoeger.

I’ve listened to all of Ben’s PPS episodes in the past two years, and I can honestly say this one one was the best take I’ve ever heard on some topics... Like how to stay motivated and deal with burnout and self doubt.
  • SlivGod likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#67 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:46 PM

If you haven’t listened to it, go find the newest episode of Cody Axon & Joel Park’s “Shoot Fast Podcast” where they interview Ben Stoeger.

I’ve listened to all of Ben’s PPS episodes in the past two years, and I can honestly say this one one was the best take I’ve ever heard on some topics... Like how to stay motivated and deal with burnout and self doubt.

I've listened to it three times already. Probably gonna listen to it again.

Great wisdom contained in that episode.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• SlivGod and Beef like this

#68 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:04 AM

I just listened this morning thanks to your recommendations. Definitely a lot of solid info there. It was a fantastic episode.

#69 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

Tonight was just dryfire, but it led to a pretty interest self-realization that I need to spend more time getting my mental game back into shape. I wasn't sticking reloads, missing part times, having bad grip, etc etc etc. Just doing everything wrong. 

Then I caught myself having thoughts like "Maybe I don't know how to gun anymore... maybe I never knew how to gun... maybe I've peaked" and put an end to that shit. I've been working too fucking hard in practice to throw everything out the window with thoughts like that.

Out of five practice sessions, I expect three to be mostly punching the clock, one to be good, and one to be lousy. Expand it across 25, and the good one will have you convinced you're gonna win Nats if you keep going at this pace, and the bad one will have you convinced that you should cut your losses and quit the sport.

• SlivGod, Sweet T, GuanoLoco and 2 others like this

#70 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

Out of five practice sessions, I expect three to be mostly punching the clock, one to be good, and one to be lousy. Expand it across 25, and the good one will have you convinced you're gonna win Nats if you keep going at this pace, and the bad one will have you convinced that you should cut your losses and quit the sport.

That's far too profound for Doodie. Do you know where you are?
  • Stubb likes this

#71 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Then I caught myself having thoughts like "Maybe I don't know how to gun anymore... maybe I never knew how to gun... maybe I've peaked" and put an end to that shit. I've been working too fucking hard in practice to throw everything out the window with thoughts like that. I'm going to revisit With Winning in Mind this weekend just as a framing point, and start putting in the necessary work on that aspect of my game to get back into the fight mentally.

I had a range trip like this today. 49.9% of me wants to quit shooting. 50.1% wants to grab more ammo and head back to the range IMMEDIATELY.

• CheesyD and MEISTERB like this

#72 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

My apologies for some of the video. My camera girl forgot to film horizontally for most of them.

Yesterday's match was just what I needed. I shot well overall. I came in with two goals: 1) Remain in control at all times, and 2) shoot with confidence (phrased in a non-positive way: "don't shoot like a scared bitch"). They might seem contradictory, but I assure you they were/are not. I'll spare you the explanation. I am comfortable with the extent I carried out those goals.

The match presented some new challenges for me mentally. It was my first match serving as an RO and, all due respect, I was on a squad full of non-competitive shooters. Both were taxing in their own regard, but I held it together for the most part. The last stage showed the first signs of fatigue.

Stage 3: Not on video. This was a really fun, but tough stage to start on. It mixed some long-range precision with super hoser stuff, connected by a long sprint. This was a comfortable stage win (I suspect my plan had a lot to do with that as well, but I don't know for sure). Time was 25.75, with 28A and 4C.
Stage 4: Not on video. Another fun stage that was a lot of hoser-ish type stuff that could mostly be shot on the move. Another stage win for me, but by a narrow margin (2nd was 98.2%). Time was okay at 18.46. 26a, 5c, 1d. My two big flaws here were calling a D on one target and wasting time on a makeup when it turned out to be an Alpha, and actually shooting a D on the closest target because I was pulling off too soon. Worse, I called the 2nd one as wonky and chose not to make it up because I was thinking it was either a C or I was second guessing the call.
Stage 5: The first one on video. Another comfortable stage win. I really brought the aggression in both planning and execution. Most people fucked around with the max trap and I chose to just take the head because it was only 6 yards away. I dropped more points than I would have liked; my first reload was sluggish; and my transitions in the port were sluggish. Also, the set up on the head was fucked up. It was a tight spot to hit if you wanted to see both poppers (mini behind full size activator)... I had to readjust for it, but stuck with my plan of driving down the steel and getting out of there. This stage is where I realized I was really bringing it yesterday; I had a distinctive feeling of being on the hunt rather than shooting defensively / conservatively / like a punk bitch.
Stage 6: Classifier. This one is tough and I stunk it up. I missed my grip on the draw (turning into a theme with classifiers... hard to shoot with two hands around my throat). My SHO/WHO work need polishing. I also completely butchered the WH transfer, hence the goofy grab with my strong hand to reposition the gun. One of two stages I did not win. 12a, 10c, 2d in 19.34s. I have no idea what classification that works out to, but I'm sure it's in the C or B range.
Stage 7: Another stage win. I'm quite happy with the points and my performance overall. But, I was a little too stationary and tense. I could have got my feet moving more. I also shot a C on the closest target on the right, which is not really excusable.
Stage 1: Not on video. It was a standards type stage. 6 half-HC classics that got 1 each from one box, run to box b, and 1 on each. Virginia count. I won by a narrow margin with 8a, 4c in 10.5s. That's too many points down and my exit and entry were glacial. I was focusing so hard on good hits that I slacked off on those aspects
Stage 2: The other stage I did not win. My time and hits were competitive, except for the fucking Mike. I was focused enough to call a bad hit on the last shot of the first array (there's some trigger freeze, and I started to pull off a bit, then pushed the gun out and ripped the shot) but wasn't focused enough to send the makeup. I think part of my brain panicked because it was a 20rd stage where I was shooting 10 + 10, and was somehow thinking I needed the extra round. Obviously I didn't, but that's what fatigue does to you. Overall, I was too sluggish here, most notably on the first target, the 2 hosers through the port, and the transition to the second target in the last position.

Tonight's practice was quite good.
Thanks to the pulling off issue on the 3-yard target, I decided to spend some time on that. I started with Distance Changeup and ONLY shot it near to far to work on the fast, hoser stuff. Times were consistently in 2.8x range. I was getting lots of Alphas on the head box, which pleased me. Draws were consistently in the .8x to .9x range; also pleased that's smoothed out. I certainly didn't completely solve the dragging issue in one hour, but by the end, things were a lot better. It happened less, and when it did, I was fully aware of it (it was both a sensation and a visual flag).

I switched to a short movement drill to work on keeping the feet moving. It was okay, and gave me something to think about with gun positioning and mental programming. But after about 50 rounds, I realized I could already take what I learned to dry fire and stopped.

I finished with 2 sheets of dots. Neither was a passing score. I'm really happy with the progress I've made here, but I hate that I'm not shooting passing scores... like ever. My % of hits is much higher, and the misses are much closer. But a fail is a fail is fail is a fail.

I followed up with dryfire and lifting. Both were productive.

#73 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

Nice match! How exactly did you run stage 3? You smoked me by 5 seconds on that one albeit it took me 3 extra shots on one of the long range small poppers. I took one of the the long paper targets on the right side from position 1 (start) that also afforded me that long run to the final spot at end of the bay. I was so focused on that missed popper that I failed to notice I left the popper next to it  standing after  hitting it.  Time was 30.53 22A  7C 2D and a Mike. Talk about sloppy, that stage cost me about 2 places on my finish. The 2 D hits were at about 3 yards. haha Damn point shooting.

Stage 5 I also took head shots at the max trap. This was actually a stage were you smoked me time wise as well. No one was even close to your time on this one. 26A 3B 3C

between these two stages you made over 12 seconds on me. 

• SlivGod likes this

#74 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

Nice match! How exactly did you run stage 3? You smoked me by 5 seconds on that one albeit it took me 3 extra shots on one of the long range small poppers. I took one of the the long paper targets on the right side from position 1 (start) that also afforded me that long run to the final spot at end of the bay. I was so focused on that missed popper that I failed to notice I left the popper next to it standing after hitting it. Time was 30.53 22A 7C 2D and a Mike. Talk about sloppy, that stage cost me about 2 places on my finish. The 2 D hits were at about 3 yards. haha Damn point shooting.

Stage 5 I also took head shots at the max trap.

How most of my squad shot it (all Prod and Lim shooters):
They turned and drew on the far paper, ran to the corner for the steel, ran to the port, ran past the 2 right targets and shot them on the move, and finished at the end.

How I shot it:
Moving draw to the steel and shot the far right target, shot the far paper and the remaining right side target, port, and then sprint my ass off to the end.

Eta: Practiscore tells me your name, but I'm sorry to say I can't put a face with it. Feel free to say hi if we cross paths again.

#75 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

I'm sure the next time will be Wisconsin Sectional. If I see you I will definitely do that. Great match!

I'll be the guy with the Shadow 2 with zombie green LOK grips.  :D

#76 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

I'm sure the next time will be Wisconsin Sectional. If I see you I will definitely do that. Great match!

Thanks, my man. See you in a few weeks.

#77 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

My camera girl forgot to film horizontally for most of them.

Show her this:

https://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA
  • ralloway likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#78 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Show her this:

https://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA

WAY ahead of you.

#79 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

Very strange practice tonight.

I started with Accelerator and pretty well stunk. I couldn't put together a run faster than 6.3-6.5. I only shot it far to near, but that's my preferred method, so that's no excuse. Hits were pretty bad. I called MOST issues, but was surprised by a few... Namely, walking down to the 25y target and finding 4a, 3c, and then having no clue where the 8th round was (pasted every other run). I had the distinct feeling of just floating the gun around and hitting the trigger. Gross. I purposely used Classics because I struggle with those and it showed. 

I switched to the transition drill (I think that's all it's called in Skills & Drills) and it was like I was a whole new shooter. I kept the 3 open Classics and added two mini poppers. I ended up with an 8 round array with just under a 90 degree swing, paper between 5 and 15 yards, and the poppers at 10-13. I was punching two neat holes in the A with regularity and the steel was no issue as long as I actually aimed at it. I couldn't get the time below 3.5s, but was consistently 3.5x - 3.6.

I finished with a SOTM drill with those same targets dragged out across the width of the bay. I was pretty pleased with hits on paper, and times seemed okay (4.5 - 5 seconds for the array across - I don't know - 7 or 10 yards of movement). Steel was a challenge as I kept slinging rounds over the top of the calibration zone. I'll need to isolate it more, but my initial diagnosis is that I let the front sight sit a little higher in the notch while moving and shooting. 

• Stubb likes this

#80 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

What do you think was going on with Accelerator and changed with the transition drill?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users