#81 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:13 AM

What do you think was going on with Accelerator and changed with the transition drill?

A very fair question and one that bothered the hell out of me that day. A small part, I believe was mental: I treated the Accelerator as just going through the motions bit Transitions as "Okay, it's really time to work now."

The majority came down to technical skills: I was gripping much harder during Transitions. Also, I was compensating for poor WH grip during Accelerator with SH clenching, and thus throwing shots like wild. Specifically to the 15y target, I was over and under transitioning; and was much more focused about looking to the spot and letting the sights arrive when I changed to Transitions.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#82 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

Today's practice started off as one of my best. ever.

I started with Doubles on a Classic which was an "Aha!" moment for me in nailing down my point of aim on those, an admitted weak point for me.
I then set up an array of 3 paper and 2 small steel at 15 yards to work on unloaded starts. The shooting portion went very well; it seemed I could do no wrong. I was in a "zen" state (whatever you want to call the shit Enos preaches) with my gun... my grip and trigger press were on point and the gun did what I wanted.

ETA: a 6" plate, a tuxedo, an open target, a diagonal half HC, and a mini popper all at 15 - 17 yards, spread out somewhat evenly across 10 or 12 yards took me about 5.5s (loaded) and 6.1 to 6.2ish (unloaded). While the hits were excellent, I'm realizing now, in hindsight, how slow that is.

Admittedly, my unloaded starts stink. I was averaging 2.6 to a 6" plate at 15 yards. I think that should be much closer to 2.0, if not under it. Also, I had several draws today that felt totally flubbed. Ultimately the time and hits were fine, but it became distracting.

Then...
I had the squib of all squibs (for me). I bent two brass rods trying to extract it at the range. Then, I packed up and went home (despite having a second gun. It took too long and I was no longer in practice mode). Now my gun is sitting disassembled, awaiting remedy, and i'm too pissed to fix it or dry fire tonight. I'll work out and call it a day. Thanks, Murphy and your fucking Law.

#83 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

Started last night's practice with the Wide El Prez at 15 yards (2 yards between targets). Skills & Drills sets the time as 6.5s. My first 4 runs were well above that, ranging from 7.1 - 7.5, nearly all As. There was mostly time to pick up on the draw and reload (especially the reload, I kept angling the gun wrong and bouncing the mag off) and a little on the actual shooting. After that, runs dropped into the high 6s (~6.8), still nearly all As. I ended with one run where I really stepped on the gas and pulled off a 5.82 run with 6a, 2d. I wish I had started with that run to be accustomed to a more proper pace. 

I switched to a tight lean drill with a second position. It taught me a lot about how much I need (or, more accurately, don't need) to aim on the hardest lean target. 

The super good: I was shooting so many fucking Alphas. I spent the last week in dry fire grinding hard on reaffirming my grip and it paid off. Even better, my shots on target were nearly touching each other frequently, telling me the gun is doing what it's supposed to do in my hands. I also maintained that distinct feel of my strong hand being independent of everything else. 

The bad: I don't want this to be a short lived phenomenon, and need to ensure I don't start slacking off on grip again. 

• Stubb and racetaco like this

#84 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Not sure I'm following your comment on leaning and aiming. I've found that the more torqued up my shooting position becomes, the more I need to tighten up aiming and trigger control.

• Will likes this

#85 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Not sure I'm following your comment on leaning and aiming. I've found that the more torqued up my shooting position becomes, the more I need to tighten up aiming and trigger control.

I'm guilty of over-aiming on tight leans. I realized I would have the fiber in the middle of the A but still wasn't pressing the trigger just waiting to get comfortable. It was a valuable reminder to get the sights aligned and press the trigger, and not add unnecessary time to that.

I hope that clarifies
  • Stubb likes this

#86 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

Good match today. Not great, but good. 

A comfortable Production win and 7th overall. Scores here: https://practiscore....n=0&q_result=0 

Stage 4

I'm disappointed the next squad showed up just in time to see me shoot, because my stage plan blew everyone else out of the water (including our Limited shooters). I'd be surprised if anyone else ran it the same had they not watched me. I kept it incredibly simple and only 3 positions. Everyone else seemed to scoot all over the place and have 4, 5, 6+ positions. My unloaded starts continue to be shit. I dropped 11 Cs, but considering the distance of the targets and the double-stacks with no shoots, I can live with that. 

Stage 5

Plenty went wrong here. I missed my positioning right away, hence the foot shuffle... I wanted to be better set up to exit. Then I royally fucked myself with the plate rack: standing reload, left the last plate standing anyways, and fucked up the next array by being a bullet short. I SHOULD have got back on my plan and reloaded again after the plate rack, but somewhere in my head I thought I had enough rounds (WRONG!). Thus, I had a second slide-lock reload. I tried to fight through by continuing to move, which definitely helped. 

Stage 6

Unloaded starts still suck. I chose to stuff the extra mag for insurance, which cost me a little time but I'm glad I did it. I should have had the gun up sooner for the second target. Reload was slow coming off the barrel. I wanted to be shooting as soon as I got my first foot in the second position, but didn't. I was too slow getting to the final position. 

Stage 7

Mini targets make things very interesting and drove the hit factor way down. I dropped 2 Cs on the far left mini, which pisses me off. I didn't move fast enough into the second position (the port). Another stage where my plan was a lot smarter than most, and it paid off. 

*The remaining stages aren't on video because my phone died. A couple made it on to others' phones, but I don't have them yet.*

Stage 1: Classifier. I bobbled the reload, and shot 2 Cs on one of the slanted hardcover targets simply because I pointed the gun at the wrong spot. I wasn't trying to aim that far off. I haven't checked what class it came out to, but I don't really care. 

Stage 2: This was a really difficult speed shoot. The closest paper was 15 yards away, pushing back to 18 or so, with steel further yet. 2 out of the 6 paper were open, the others were 2 tuxedoes and 2 lower no shoots. The key here was to go penalty free, which I did not do. I put one into the black (by about an inch) and didn't call it. I called the shot right, but I thought it was little enough movement to still be in the A. Since the target was so far away, that call was wrong. Live and learn. 

Stage 3: SLOWWWWWWWW. This should have been a 16ish second run, but I muffed every fucking reload. I had to shake out every mag, and didn't have a clean load on any of them. This wouldn't be a big deal but this stage was mostly shooting on the move, so I was stuck standing when I didn't need to be. 

Overall: I came in with the goal of shooting 95+% of available points, and I accomplished that. Very happy. It didn't make me sad that I bodied everyone else, but I'd be happier without my issues on 2, 3, and 5. 

• gentleman4561 likes this

#87 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:06 PM

Thanks to the unloaded starts and empty mags not dropping very well at the match yesterday, I railed on those hard today in dryfire.

The best I can do is 1.6s unloaded table start to a sight picture on a 10y target. I did that until my thumb started to tear up.

Dropping empty mags doesn't seem to be technique, sorta. My match gun is far less used so the mag catch is stiffer. I either need to press a little harder on it, or not angle the gun as much. I'll probably spend some more DF time with it to loosen up the mag catch a bit.

#88 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Thanks to the unloaded starts and empty mags not dropping very well at the match yesterday, I railed on those hard today in dryfire.

The best I can do is 1.6s unloaded table start to a sight picture on a 10y target. I did that until my thumb started to tear up.

Dropping empty mags doesn't seem to be technique, sorta. My match gun is far less used so the mag catch is stiffer. I either need to press a little harder on it, or not angle the gun as much. I'll probably spend some more DF time with it to loosen up the mag catch a bit.

Are you running aftermarket basepads? Even with factory plastic pads I never had any issues with mags coming out.

I would clean the mags and interior of the magwell well, maybe try some of the dry teflon stuff?

You're either moving forward or you're moving backward. "Maintenance" is a cute way of describing slow, almost unnoticeable regression.

#89 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

Are you running aftermarket basepads? Even with factory plastic pads I never had any issues with mags coming out.

I would clean the mags and interior of the magwell well, maybe try some of the dry teflon stuff?

Yep. Springers. I suspect they actually contribute to the issue, in this limited scope, but I digress.

#90 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

I was out for revenge on Accelerator. Cold run sucked, for obvious reasons. But, the silver lining is that my new approach to cold runs seems to be working. I am treating them like the first stage of a big match and really getting myself psyched up beforehand. 

Once warmed up, I was running a ton in the 5.8x range. Some a little faster down to 5.6x. Some ran back up just past 6. Hits remained good with only a couple of Cs. No run was impressive and I didn't even attempt to push the envelope today. My goal was simply to consistently meet the benchmark outlined in Skills & Drills. I am content with how that turned out, but I'd really like to speed up the reload to the far target (when run that way). 

3 attempts at Bill Drills. The 7 yard was a big, fat fail. But, the 25 Y - going strictly off memory since I don't record it - is a PR for me, which made me very happy. I still haven't looked up the goal time for 15, so no idea if that run was a fail or not. 

I ended with the short movement drill using the same targets (and just doubling up on the 15y) since I was haunted by the stage at 1:50 in my match video above... That lethargic movement to the second position made me so sad. My phone ran out of memory (yes, laugh away) about halfway through. After the camera was off, I got numerous runs in a row at 1.3x between positions. I focused on driving hard with my right leg to get out of position. Then, just because I didn't believe it, I tested the "grunt theory" originated somewhere, supposedly by Ben (I think Cody talked about it on Shoot Fast, but I don't recall) where you move a little bit harder if you let yourself grunt while you explode out of position. My times then dropped into 1.2x. That's too little data to establish a causation, but it is a correlation. I will continue to try it here and there, and see if any consistencies form. If nothing else, it's fun I guess.

Also, I don't know what mode I tapped into during this drill, but I ended up just railing on the targets but kept shooting good points. I really need to tap into that more. 

• racetaco likes this

#91 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

Set up a big array of hard targets yesterday and worked all sorts of stuff. I spent the majority of the time on shooting my way through a position.

This ended up being more challenging than I anticipated. The target to take on the move had a NS positioned on an angle to block the lower half of the A, and the left side of the target. It was initially only 6 yards away, but I screwed up the setup; once corrected, it was about 9 yards away.

I pushed SO hard to consistently hang 2 A on it without slowing down. I left absolutely exhausted, but educated. I simply can't put 2 A on in that situation. A/C was easily repeatable. But managing recoil, speed, and a change in direction made it too hard for my current abilities to safely put the 2nd shot in the A. It was always just above the perf.

For the time being, that will have to do. I wouldn't be willing to risk a NS penalty (and maybe a Mike) in a match setting trying to bury the front sight. It does leave me to wonder, now, what I would do in a match when presented that type of target: slow down for two alphas, or roll through hard and take the C. Intuitively,I lean towards the latter. But I didn't run any "safe" runs to get 2 As, and thus can't confirm how the hit factors would vary.

I only took about a minute of video. Will upload later. It's already posted on my IG for those over there.

#92 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

Whether or not you post up (ideally pausing your feet but keeping the lateral glide in your shoulders) or shoot & move through a position depends entirely upon the hit factor for that stage.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#93 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

#94 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

Why do you push the gun out so slowly on the draw?

I wish I practiced half as hard as you. I might actually stop sucking.

#95 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Why do you push the gun out so slowly on the draw?

I wish I practiced half as hard as you. I might actually stop sucking.

There's actually a discussion in here (somewhere) about that.
Short version: I changed my draw to establish a better grip. The negative byproduct is that it's a little slower. Speeding that up is a fairly low priority for now as other things need far more work. I plan to revisit after Area 5, and return to a more linear draw rather than this "push out"-ish thing going on.

And thanks, I think. I like practicing and trying to get gooder
  • SlivGod likes this

#96 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

Okay, just making sure you were aware it’s a thing. Makes sense.

And I wasn’t being sarcastic, it’s good to see you working hard.
  • SlivGod likes this

#97 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

Today's practice will almost certainly be the last one this week where I'm pushing hard. The Wisconsin Sectional is on Sunday and I'll tone it down a little bit to get more into match mode.

Four Aces:

Started with this out of morbid curiosity to see just how slow my draw is, thanks to the conversation above. As I predicted, about 1/10th slower than I think it should be. However, I'm pretty happy with these three runs - especially cold. The times are at least where they need to be; the hits were clean; and, most importantly, they were consistent. 

Mini Stage:

I ran this a number of ways to present slightly different challenges. I only included the clips where the wheels pretty well fell off. It was interesting to see how little the times varied from run to run, and good runs vs bad runs were separately almost entirely by points. I also rearranged the targets near the end so that I could feasibly shoot ALL paper on the move. I've always been less comfortable SOTM going right to left, and it showed today. I also stopped giving steel the respect it needs when I was really trying to push, thus you'll see some Mikes in the video for that. 

Over the last year, the distance to which I'm comfortable shooting on the move has increased dramatically (for me). 2017 would be around 7 yards at the max. Right now, I'd put it at 10-12 yards depending on difficulty. The further hardcover is around 12 and was not that challenging. It was enough where I wouldn't be extremely eager to do it in a match setting, but it's doable. It was frustrating having nearly every paper Mike today on the wide open target to the right (at about 10 yards). 

Miscellaneous

I've also done quite a bit of "growing up" in regards to shooting. Not that long ago, I'd be PISSED that my Four Aces times weren't closer to the baller sub-2 runs that people have posted online. I'm learning to keep things in perspective and take a more honest approach in my own training.

• racetaco likes this

#98 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Why do you find SOTM different left to right versus right to left? Just curious, is it just the movement or visual?

#99 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

Why do you find SOTM different left to right versus right to left? Just curious, is it just the movement or visual?

An excellent question, and one I've thought about a lot over the last year or so. Unfortunately, I still don't have a good answer. 

The only definitive answer I have is, simply, I don't practice it enough. Even though my movement practice is split 50/50 (in terms of direction), it's not enough for R->L. Once A5 is over, I should really dedicate one or two weeks to only moving that way and seeing if I can close the gap a bit. 

Speculative answers: 

- Habitual: More stages than not seem to let shooters move left to right, and I've somehow mentally adopted that.

- Visual: My higher left arm makes it harder to pick up targets, barricades, etc. (I think this is the least likely of the bunch).

- Health: My left knee is a little weaker and less flexible than the right, thanks to years of hard long-distance running. Somehow leading with that foot is more cumbersome. 

#100 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

I’ve never done dedicated L-R or R-L SOTM to find out if one direction is more affective. All my practice has has been constant random movement. I don’t know if that’s truly the most beneficial method, but it worked well for me.
  • SlivGod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users