MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:28 AM

If it helps, you’re hardly alone.

We’ve all had stints where we worked very hard, improved a lot, but still been bitchslapped in the overalls at the next match.

I think there’s a constant seesaw going on where you make gains in speed, then accuracy, then back. There are lots of podcasts focused on this. So... Why should your experience be any different?
  • Ben, ralloway and htomeheb like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#122 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

So... Why should your experience be any different?

Fucking Millennials. 

• SlivGod and shmella like this

#123 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

So... Why should your experience be any different?

My mom says I'm special?
  • MEISTERB likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#124 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

Fucking Millenials.
  • SlivGod, htomeheb and Stranger Danger like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#125 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:19 PM

Breakdown will be posted separately. I'll be filling in whatever blanks can't be seen on video. I will also be including stats from people that finished higher each stage (I'm thinking most likely 1st and 10th)... mostly for my reference, but it may be of interest to some (very few) of you. 

• Peally likes this

#126 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:53 AM

You look more controlled than Wi Sec. Thats good I think. =)

• SlivGod likes this

#127 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

You look more controlled than Wi Sec. Thats good I think. =)

Thanks, Ben. I certainly felt more controlled. But, similar to the latest PSAD, I think I let control bog me down elsewhere rather than treating discipline and speed as separate elements.

#128 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

You look really tense, and I think that's what's killing your speed. I suspect you could cut a second or two off each stage time by relaxing and having fun.

• SlivGod likes this

#129 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

You look really tense, and I think that's what's killing your speed. I suspect you could cut a second or two off each stage time by relaxing and having fun.

There's a lot to be said for that. The predicament in my case is that I'm mentally relaxed at majors, so I need to connect that to physical relaxation and fluidity. 

#130 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

Boy, do I feel stupid. Today was the first day back at live fire, and I was only working on pushing speed. Shockingly (laying the sarcasm on thick), I was way faster and - LIGHT BULB - the hits remained mostly the same. Weird how when you let all the hard work you do in dry fire just do its thing, things work out. I guess I should have been trusting myself to let loose a lot sooner.

I set several PRs today. None are impressive by any means, compared to solid shooters. But, they were big gains for me.
  • In 4 Aces, I set my fastest recorded draw at 0.75... which WOULD be impressive at 7 yards. But, I was only at 3-5 there. *shrug*
  • 4 Aces PR at 7 yards at 2.36 (.92, .21, 1.01, .22). I managed to pull off a few more in that 2.36-2.38 range. Most were sticking around 2.45 today.
  • PR in El Pres (10 yards) with 4.73 that I promptly broke again with 4.66. Again, not impressive. But a huge improvement for me. (Video here: https://www.instagra.../Bmb9UCAHdMx/)
  • ETA: set a PR for a cold Bill drill at 1.90. not a PR for overall best time, just for the cold run.

• Stubb and racetaco like this

#131 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

Despite not updating this, I've been practicing hard lately. But, after 17-18 hour days, I just don't have the time for comprehensive analysis.

I shot a club match today and purposely stomped on the gas to see where the feels fall off. They did so with quite a lot of vigor, and I totally bombed the classifier and a classifier-ish stage. As such, I lost to an alright shooter. I really need to spend more time on shooting that stuff cleanly, and also spend more time on SH/WH.

Field courses were strong, but I kept bobbling reloads out of the 3rd pouch. To no surprise, I've been neglecting anything past the first two in recent weeks.

I also had to issue my first DQ today, which sucks. Though it did lead to some interesting shit talking about me because I didn't have a lighter to loan out (long story)... We live in a strange world. At least I know who to not squad with in the future.

#132 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

I also had to issue my first DQ today, which sucks. Though it did lead to some interesting shit talking about me because I didn't have a lighter to loan out (long story)... We live in a strange world. At least I know who to not squad with in the future.

Must hear details on the lighter....gotta be good

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• SlivGod likes this

#133 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

I shot in your squad today. That was a DQ that in NO way could have been overlooked. You did the only thing you could have. I also am interested in the lighter story?

• SlivGod likes this

#134 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

I shot in your squad today. That was a DQ that in NO way could have been overlooked. You did the only thing you could have. 

While true, it still doesn't feel good both a) to have a whole squad panic from having a gun pointed at them, and B) to have to send somebody home. It was at least a valuable lesson for me in terms of demeanor. I could have been far less icy towards the shooter.

I also am interested in the lighter story?

Apparently some of our squad felt personally slighted because I didn't have a lighter to fix the broken fiber optics (the catalyst of the DQ) yesterday. Why? For the simple fact that I have a FO sight on my gun. Based on the point in which I could hear the conversation, it appeared they also felt I was somehow to blame for the DQ since my having a firestarter would have precluded the event.

Three pro tips: 1) Install FO correctly (I've had the same one on my practice gun since ~December). 2) Have a backup gun. 3) Walk far enough way to do bitching where people can't hear.

#135 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

How does a broken fiber cause a shooter to point his gun at people?

#136 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

While true, it still doesn't feel good both a) to have a whole squad panic from having a gun pointed at them, and B) to have to send somebody home. It was at least a valuable lesson for me in terms of demeanor. I could have been far less icy towards the shooter.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Having been right there I think you handled it very professionally for lack of a better term. You made the call that needed to be made with no cold or icy demeanor whatsoever. He's a new shooter and still seems a bit overwhelmed with everything going on at times. He'll chalk it up to a learning experience and I'm sure never let anything remotely like that happen again. Again......you handled it just fine. No problem at all from my vantage point.

Edit: I think he thought maybe he might not of had to be DQed at first, and I assured him that it was a MUST DQ situation and there was no other option. He embarrassingly  agreed.

#137 flyingpig

flyingpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

How does a broken fiber cause a shooter to point his gun at people?

-Shooter was at the line making ready when he noticed his fiber was hanging off the gun.

-Sliv asked him if he wanted to continue or unload and make clear and go fix the problem. He chose to unload and re-holster.

-as shooter walked off from start position he became concerned that the fiber was going to drop off the gun and he didnt have a replacement.

-Huge brain fart happens and shooter takes his gun out of his holster to remove the fiber from his gun at which time about 6 guys start yelling  HEY HEY HEY NO!!

-Guy puts gun back in holster but the damage has already been done. Sliv has no option but to hand out a DQ.

End of story. End of guys match. Chalk it up to a learning experience for a fairly new shooter. 

• SlivGod likes this

#138 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:48 PM

Teachable moment for sure.
  • SlivGod likes this

#139 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Having been right there I think you handled it very professionally for lack of a better term. You made the call that needed to be made with no cold or icy demeanor whatsoever. He's a new shooter and still seems a bit overwhelmed with everything going on at times. He'll chalk it up to a learning experience and I'm sure never let anything remotely like that happen again. Again......you handled it just fine. No problem at all from my vantage point.

Edit: I think he thought maybe he might not of had to be DQed at first, and I assured him that it was a MUST DQ situation and there was no other option. He embarrassingly  agreed.

I certainly appreciate that. Either way, it was an education moment for both of us.

Training stuff: 

I've spent the last two days in dryfire working WAY outside of my comfort zone. Yesterday, I pushed shooting on the move to both cover a lot of distance and do it in a short amount of time. To my surprise, it actually worked quite well and did so with some form of consistency. Today, I did a lot of SHO/WHO (thanks to the match) and then a two position drill with a very aggressive PAR time. Neither seemed to work well today, but I'm happy to be pushing. 

My reloads going into SHO/WHO particularly sucked today. I think it mostly stemmed from being flustered and trying to start moving the gun to the next step before even finishing the reload. When I relaxed and just did one thing at a time, things worked alright. I also over-transition LIKE CRAZY shooting one-handed and really need to spend time on transitions that way.

#140 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Full blown struggle bus today. I shot between 650 and 700 rounds today on Distance Changeup and a Wide Blake Drill (at 15).

DC was annoyingly stagnate at 2.8. I was pretty consistently leaving the first target early. I need to unprogram the "its so close that it can't be fucked up" mentality, because clearly it can be. Even worse, I scored the targets after sets of 3 runs and the headbox was SHIT. Average head results were 3 on, 3 Mike. I could feel myself tensing up and pulling the trigger way too hard, as well as bouncing the gun all over.

The Blake Drill kicked my ass too. I managed to sort out transitions while there, but only made the 2.7 time a couple times. Most were right at 2.8, but definitely not clean. The draw was insanely slow at 1.3-1.4, on target splits were .27-.29, and transitions were in the .42-.47 range.

Definitely a frustrating, but informative, day. I'll be doing a lot of practice over the holiday weekend.
  • Sweet T likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users