#141 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:09 AM

The royal we got fucked this weekend by weather. I intended to shoot a few K over the long weekend, and instead only got out once thanks to persistent thunderstorms. 

I experienced something strange while I was out. Near the end of the session, when I was scrambling to beat a time I picked, I couldn't settle the gun (and, thus, shot worse points, as one would expect). I was floating the gun all over the target. But, I'm not sure what causes that. Adrenaline? Tension in the shoulders? Relaxing the arms too much?

The only video I got: https://www.instagra...ken-by=slivgod I'm pretty sure you can see the gun moving around on the further targets if you look closely. 

My movement between positions was pretty wasteful. I've been doing less movement in dryfire lately, so it was a valuable reminder to work everything all the time. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#142 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

I keep trying and failing to find time to edit practice and match videos together. Very short recap of recent happenings:

1. Set up a very tough array for practice last week, with small things far away (e.g. 25y head box). I honestly forgot where my gun hits at that distance and it took a while to get settled in. Once I did, better results were had. But I noticed how imperative recoil control is at those distances and settling the gun down. I was frequently missing mini poppers because I was breaking the shot while the gun was still moving. 

2. Ran a bunch of Dots. No passing scores, but the consistency has improved. I had several sheets in a row shooting 34 or 35. I've never had that many "less shitty" runs consecutively. 

3. My match speed is getting better. Learned some shit about hosing and also got some tough reminders about trigger control. Finally shot a decent classifier (on Can You Count?), so there's FINALLY light at the end of the tunnel and I may escape A class... some day.

• htomeheb likes this

#143 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:54 AM

I'm glad I've been practicing shooting small things far away, because the "sneak preview" of Nats' stages seems to confirm my suspicions on that.

One month until Head Shot Nationals. Let's do this.

• ralloway and racetaco like this

#144 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

Ran the ends of the spectrum today.

Started with "Practical Accuracy" at 10, 15, and 20. I have a tendency to push shots directly to the right, which is no bueno. I've gotten better about not pushing shots down by tensing my SH, so I guess that's a moral victory?

Then Blake Drills between 3 and 7 yards. The good news: my draw has sped up considerably, transitions matched splits, there weren't many fuck ups with points, and runs were comfortably in the 1.8-1.9 range, and maybe a tenth slower on some 7 yard runs.

The bad news: the runs were comfortably in the 1.8 to 1.9 range... At 5 yards and less, this drill should be UNDER 1.8. Even with a blazing (for me) draw at .8, I couldn't break that threshold. I seemingly CAN'T hose. At least not faster than .20 splits.

Then I ended with a few mags of 25 yard head boxes, as the mosquitoes came out en masse to obliterate me. This needs some work still, but is getting MUCH better.

#145 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:22 AM

I have a small tip on split speed.

I have been stuck at .19-.20 at 7 yards for a while. What got me down was really not worrying about transitions and focus on shooting without tension. I’m now regularly splitting 7 yard classic targets at .15 on command.

Initially my transitions suffered but after a little focus back on transition I was able to hang on to the .15 splits but still have the .19-.20 transitions.

This is basically the reverse of how I got transition gains though some of that was about using the eyes to lead the gun. Some of it was backing off splits in order to work hard transitions.

At a certain point you realize one robs the other. I can snap 14 splits but that extra hundredth seems to get added to the next transition. And vice versa.
  • Stubb likes this

#146 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:42 PM

Ran several different drills tonight, as part of my final approach to Nationals. as luck would have it, my gun broke its Cajun 10x bushing at some point, unnoticed, and had me wondering if I forgot how to hit things at 25 yards.

I have to give two big shout outs:
1. Mr @janderson is a good friend, and better competitor, whose interests are probably bettered by me having broken equipment. He not only dug out one of his spare bushings to mail me, but also offered up one of his guns as a backup for Nationals. First class.

2. Stuart Wong also offered to send me a replacement bushing at no cost, not even shipping, even when CZ doesn't even stock bushings for sale.

Many thanks to both of them.
  • ralloway and MEISTERB like this

#147 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

Awesome to hear customer service and service after the sale is still alive. It’s hit and miss in the gun world anymore.
  • SlivGod likes this

#148 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Relatively low round count practice session this weekend, partly thanks to combatting terrible weather. The main reason, however, was that I took the time before each run to tune into that pressure and anxiety of the first stage of a big match. It led to some interesting results...

On Distance Changeup, it led to slightly slower times (right on the 3.0 button) but produced better hits on the head box than normal.

Then I switched to 25y Bill Drills and shot EVERYTHING low. On average, half the hits were just above the A/C perf, and half just below. I realized I was both pushing shots down into recoil and aiming too low.  Pushing the shots low came as no surprise, as I know I do that under unmitigated stress, but aiming low was indeed a surprise. I think that stemmed from some simple miscalculation on my half and also some reactions to stress. 

Weather cooperating, I'll shoot 2 or 3 more times this week. Then I get on a plane Monday morning for lovely Frostproof. 

• ralloway and MEISTERB like this

#149 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:12 AM

Well, Nationals is over and it's safe to say that it went poorly. I wrapped up at 89th overall and 69% of Ben. Aside from a few glimmers of hope, my performance was shit across the board. I summarized the negatives of my match performance elsewhere as: 

Everything? I was crippled with stress on Day 1 and dug myself into a hole. The stress left by Day 2, but I ended up digging myself deeper as I tried to fight my way back into the running. I racked up countless Deltas and Mikes. Tons of makeup shots. Chose the wrong stage plan on the double NS swinger stage. WHO/SHO sucked. Zeroed a standards stage. Sucked at getting real hits on moving targets. Serious mental errors like calling a Delta or a questionable hit on a tuxedo, and then just leaving it rather than taking the makeup. I’m not sure I’ve ever shot worse.

I think my biggest mistake was at square 1. Last year, I attribute some of my “success” to coming in with no expectations and just shooting. I was cold and calm. This year, I came in with expectations and focused on results rather than the process of shooting things.

To be honest, it made me consider quitting USPSA. Not in the sense of a rage quit, or a poor-poor-pitiful-me quit, but rather in the logical sense of comparing how much more time, money, and effort I put into this year's match and how much worse I did.  That said, I won't be. 

I need to take some time off to decompress and get caught up on the other aspects of my life. I'll then spend a week or two working out some logistics stuff for going forward:  minor equipment changes, developing a general plan for next year, etc. Then, heading back to hiatus as I wrap up the fall semester here. 

Funnily enough, I was doing a search on BEnos for some winter training stuff and stumbled upon Ben's old range diary. I've been reading a couple pages at a time, and it's both inspiring and relevant to me right now. It's giving me a lot to think about for going forward, especially with regards to the quality, intensity, and variety of one's training. The decade old thoughts are giving me a bunch of new things to focus on.

To end on a positive note...

I had some amazing squad-mates at the match. Jon Anderson is one of my favorite human beings, and it's always a pleasure to squad with him. He shot, to no surprise, a fantastic match. I look forward to seeing him smash people at next year's Nationals. My buddy Matt is a very relaxed dude and certainly helped keep the atmosphere relaxed, especially when I was in a panic.  Ryan Goold was a lot of fun to have on the squad, and definitely interesting to watch an Open shooter run through a Production match still mostly like an Open shooter. Plus it's always good to have another young thundercat to bullshit with. 

I also got to meet and/or briefly catch up with Tyler Turner, Joel Park, and Hwansik. All great dudes who shot great matches. 

• Sweet T and GooldMember like this

#150 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

To be honest, it made me consider quitting USPSA. Not in the sense of a rage quit, or a poor-poor-pitiful-me quit, but rather in the logical sense of comparing how much more time, money, and effort I put into this year's match and how much worse I did.  That said, I won't be. 

I understand this so well.

• SlivGod, ralloway and GooldMember like this

#151 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Yup. Been there. 

It was awesome getting to meet you in real life and shoot/hang out with you. If I may, it seemed like you were super wrapped up in your own head/performance and that definitely hurt you. You clearly know that was the case, which is good to realize because now you can work to correct that. It is something I think we all struggle with, and on top of that I think it is something that really separates the real ballers from the "pretty decents."

Have you read With Winning in Mind? If you haven't, you need to fix that. The mental management techniques aren't easy, but when you can execute them properly they are extremely effective. 

• SlivGod likes this

#152 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone  :lol:

Yup. Been there. 

It was awesome getting to meet you in real life and shoot/hang out with you. If I may, it seemed like you were super wrapped up in your own head/performance and that definitely hurt you. You clearly know that was the case, which is good to realize because now you can work to correct that. It is something I think we all struggle with, and on top of that I think it is something that really separates the real ballers from the "pretty decents."

Have you read With Winning in Mind? If you haven't, you need to fix that. The mental management techniques aren't easy, but when you can execute them properly they are extremely effective. 

Thanks, Ryan. It was definitely a fun time. And no offense taken; that is precisely what happened. 

I have indeed read With Winning Mind, but it's probably been about 2 years now since I did. I plan on revisiting it soon as a gentle reminder to myself to not be a lunatic on game day. I'm also considering giving a month to shooting a dot gun, on your recommendation, over the winter. We'll see. I may need a bit more guidance before I take on that experiment. 

#153 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

I have indeed read With Winning Mind, but it's probably been about 2 years now since I did. I plan on revisiting it soon as a gentle reminder to myself to not be a lunatic on game day.

Last match I shot was easily my best overall performance to date, and my last stage was as good as I think I could have shot it that day. I attribute most of that to repeatedly telling myself "Grip the gun, line up the sights, pull the trigger" before each stage. I wasn't trying to go fast or slow, just let those three things happen at their natural pace. I also made a big point of letting go of any tension in my core while waiting for the buzzer and while actively shooting.

• SlivGod likes this

#154 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:05 PM

Last match I shot was easily my best overall performance to date, and my last stage was as good as I think I could have shot it that day. I attribute most of that to repeatedly telling myself "Grip the gun, line up the sights, pull the trigger" before each stage. I wasn't trying to go fast or slow, just let those three things happen at their natural pace. I also made a big point of letting go of any tension in my core while waiting for the buzzer and while actively shooting.

My mantra before the buzzer goes off is "Grip hard; shoot alphas." GENERALLY, this works very well. However, the words were a bit hollow in Frostproof. 

#155 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

I think there's a careful balancing act between your internal stress level and how much additional effort you're adding. That is, if you're feeling bored and flat at a match, you have to actively psyche yourself up and push a bit. If you're wired and jittery, exactly the opposite: counteract the stress and try to shoot real relaxed.

I had a solid run on the first stage of a recent match. It was fairly technical in that you had to hit positions in the middle of the shooting area, and my hands were shaking a bit. I made it a point to relax and tell myself to see a little bit more on each sight picture, not rush my reloads, and the like. The end result was that I shot it at a crisp pace with good points.

#156 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

The boring stuff: gear changes.

1. I hogged out the magwell on my practice gun. It's pretty neat, but a minor change. I think I'll clean it up a bit and then do the match gun too.

2. I might pick up some of the new LOK thick grips to try out. It will be hard to beat the Scales, but I'm always looking for more grip on these dumb things. 

3. Debating if I want to pick up a third gun. After only one year, my practice gun is already a bit rattly. I think having either a Dry Fire and Live Fire gun would be a good thing, or just the ability to rotate between them. That said, a thousand bucks can buy a lot of ammo. I don't know. 

4. The lack of stability on the new style Ghost pouches drove me insane all year long. My preferred angle has been to keep the pouch fully upright on the mount, but lean the mount all the way to the rear. This worked well on the old mounts, not so much on these new ones. I'm going to try locking the mounts down and rotating the pouch back one position on the mount.

5. I kinda want to switch to 124 grain bullets for the lower price. Numerous people have also sworn to me the recoil impulse is better in steel guns. However, my current powder would require quite a large increase in quantity. I haven't done the math, but it certainly cuts down on the savings. Alternatively, I can start over with new powder and projectiles.... but that sounds stupid. I hate tinkering and my current recipe works. 

6.  I'm still waiting for one of my preferred kydex people to come out with a pouch for the S2. This rattly and loose BladeTech is getting old, and fuck RHT. 

7*.  If I do end up with a 3rd gun, there's a good chance I'll switch the dryfire gun (whether dedicated or temporary) to a heavier hammer spring. I want to play with the concept of making trigger pulls harder in dryfire to make things better in livefire. 

#157 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

Why fuck RHT?

#158 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

Why fuck RHT?

Because the quality is rubbish.
  • Stubb likes this

#159 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Do let me know if you find a dual-layer kydex holster that isn't rubbish.

• SlivGod likes this

#160 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

The boring stuff: gear changes.

2. I might pick up some of the new LOK thick grips to try out. It will be hard to beat the Scales, but I'm always looking for more grip on these dumb things. 

I'm happy to ship you mine so you can try before you buy.

• SlivGod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users