#1 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

Anyone read Path of Focused Effort, A Learning Guide for Practical Shooting and care to comment? 

#2 MonkeyPlague

MonkeyPlague

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Yeah. I don't think it added anything to the subject and what was included has been covered better in other sources.

• Stubb likes this

#3 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Who is Charlie Perez?

#4 MonkeyPlague

MonkeyPlague

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Who is Charlie Perez?

A GM Limited Shooter out of Colorado. Shoots a boat load of matches in area 2 and 1

#5 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Charlie finished 10th at limited Nationals last year. The book is a good read, very specific in it's assertions, less Zen.

Charlie is Cha-lee on Enos, probably the highest classified shooter that regularly contributes there.

#6 Part Of Me

Part Of Me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

He is Open GM as well. His blog on Enos is very thoughtful 

#7 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

It was interesting to meet him at Nats and see how his personality compared to online. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#8 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Who wants to buy a book from a dude who got beat by 9 other dudes at nats?

• SlivGod and Stranger Danger like this

#9 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

By itself, the book is not bad, but not the awesomest thing ever. OTOH, taking a class from charlie is pretty valuable, and he includes the book in the class price and sends it to you beforehand to read as homework. It definitely made the class more efficient.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#10 Damcowboy

Damcowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

You dont need to be a national champion to be a great trainer/coach.  I would argue that is not that high on the list of things to check.  How many great coaches can you think of who didn't win a championship but can create champions?  In my past life showing reining and cutting horses the best pro/open trainer I knew of never won shit nationally, but his non-pro riders kicked ass at all the big shows.

The one coach I'd love to take a clinic with in this game I dont think has won a top 16 at nats.

• Crash and ngodwetrust21 like this

#11 ngodwetrust21

ngodwetrust21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Who wants to buy a book from a dude who got beat by 9 other dudes at nats?

Totally disagree with this. Someone who took top 10 at nationals is a very solid shooter and would be more than qualified to instruct others in the sport.

In fact, I wish more GMs would do podcasts, classes, and books. Just because you are not a national champion does not mean you don’t have something you can contribute that would help another competitor.
  • Motosapiens likes this
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

#12 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

Totally disagree with this.

This is Doodie, he was being sarcastic or eating crayons. If the former it gets a chuckle, if the latter please be understanding.

• Yard Sale, Part Of Me and ngodwetrust21 like this

#13 ngodwetrust21

ngodwetrust21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

This is Doodie

Sorry.... I am an idiot. I forgot. Carry on.
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

#14 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

In fact, I wish more GMs would do podcasts, classes, and books. Just because you are not a national champion does not mean you don’t have something you can contribute that would help another competitor.

There is little to nothing to be gained from such actions for your average GM. If you have a passion to create such content, great. But it seems like more of a waste of time than anything else. Classes would be about the only thing. And that's if you can put up with your local guys for a while to actually gain some cash from it.

#15 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

There is little to nothing to be gained from such actions for your average GM. If you have a passion to create such content, great. But it seems like more of a waste of time than anything else. Classes would be about the only thing. And that's if you can put up with your local guys for a while to actually gain some cash from it.

If you actually seek greater understanding for yourself, one good path towards that is to teach what you know.

• Part Of Me likes this

#16 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

If you actually seek greater understanding for yourself, one good path towards that is to teach what you know.

Yea... I get more frustrated teaching those people and then watching them either not put in effort or ignore what you have to say entirely. Some people are meant for teaching and some arent. I personally expect someone to put as much into getting better as I did. If not, fuck off.

• hans16633 likes this

#17 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Yea... I get more frustrated teaching those people and then watching them either not put in effort or ignore what you have to say entirely. Some people are meant for teaching and some arent. I personally expect someone to put as much into getting better as I did. If not, fuck off.

I agree with that. waste of time trying to teach people who aren't putting in the effort.

#18 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

It was interesting to meet him at Nats and see how his personality compared to online.

That’s always an interesting discovery. In this case, I’m rather curious how it went.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#19 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

he was being sarcastic or eating crayons.

Everyone on the internet is doing that. Here at doodie people are just more honest about it.
  • Doc likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users