#1 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

I believe I am spoiled.

Our local club puts on a Level 1match that is so popular that we are up to 8 stages with 12 shooters each - sells out in 15 minutes. Quality stages with a mix of challenging long courses and short ones as well. With swingers, plate racks, Texas stars, etc.

For $25. Roughly $3 per stage.

Just shot a level 2. Over $20 per stage.

Same range. Same quality of stages.

Got me thinking. Why spend the extra $$$?

Some that I have asked say because of the competition it brings out. Yeah, I suck. I am a net contributor - slim chance of winning anything against the competition that shows up.

Some state that the stages are so much better. Pretty sure they are not and that they will be up for this Saturday’s level 1match.

So I get the expenses angle (RO’s, accommodations,targets,range fees, profits,etc.) what I am questioning is the value.
  • Nimrod and el.kuglov1953 like this

#2 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Most people don't have that high quality of local matches.

More importantly, you answered your own question, especially with the competition. Just because you don't care about finding a gritty dogfight doesn't mean others agree. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#3 The Guy From PR

The Guy From PR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:05 AM

Only 8 stages?

Try 9 for next weekend...

#4 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

Maybe you should look into cross stitch or needle point. Complaining about match fees is on the same level as dudes bitching about round count being too high. Easy solution,,,,, don’t go.
  • Matt1 and MEISTERB like this

#5 bpipe95

bpipe95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

We have run into this issue at our club and have heard the "why should I" comment several times. At this point there is no really good answer in my eyes other than random draw cash prizes, raffles, free food, match shirts and a bigger "event experience" there's not much you can do.

. We run 6 stages at $15 and have the largest turnout of our 5 local clubs. while us younger guys see value in raising the price (to invest more money into props stages etc) the old guard says "no we need to keep it cheap"...

This is one of many big underlying issues that come from "growing the sport" with zero assistance or guidance from hq. As long as things look better on paper real growth problems don't exist...

This reminds me, When's the next election?

#6 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

Maybe you should look into cross stitch or needle point. Complaining about match fees is on the same level as dudes bitching about round count being too high. Easy solution,,,,, don’t go.

Obviously.

However, Go/No Go was not the purpose of the post.  It really is a topic on value and the perception of value by others.  I plainly stated mine and obviously, short of volunteering as an RO for one, most likely will not attend in the foreseeable future.  What I want to understand is other's perception of value and maybe at what point they start seeing the value drop.

#7 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

Only 8 stages?

Try 9 for next weekend...

Crazy!  9 stages, $25 for a level 1 match.

And you my friend, are the prime reason of this success.  Your stages KICK ASS!

May I make a suggestion - add some of those cross bay shots directly opposite of the obvious arrays so as to get the shooter to forget them and earn them FTSA and mike penalties.  One of those got me this weekend.

#8 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

Give me a good level 1 or 2 match anyday. I'd rather have a squad mate hold the timer than pay a match fee, accomodation and transport costs for 30+ fancy ROs.
  • Matt1 likes this

#9 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

You pay extra cuz no one cares if they hear you won a club match.
  • racetaco likes this

#10 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Locals don’t need to cover hotels and food for staff.

Locals don’t provide water.

Locals don’t provide prizes or cash payouts.

Locals don’t provide lunch.

Locals don’t provide match shirts.

Locals don’t bring the heat.

Locals don’t have exposure.

Locals don’t get shooters from multiple states away to travel to them.

• SlivGod and racetaco like this

#11 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Obviously.

However, Go/No Go was not the purpose of the post.  It really is a topic on value and the perception of value by others.  I plainly stated mine and obviously, short of volunteering as an RO for one, most likely will not attend in the foreseeable future.  What I want to understand is other's perception of value and maybe at what point they start seeing the value drop.

The value is getting to shoot a level 2 match locally,,,,,,duh

#12 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

an L2 match is worth more to me because I don't have to set up or tear down, I don't have to RO,  and i can go the day before and walk the stages and prepare better.

• racetaco likes this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#13 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

Is there a maximum that you would be willing to pay per stage, for a L2 match?

How about the maximum you would be willing to pay for an L1 match - consider that setup and teardown is not required - but you would need to RO yourselves.

#14 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

I don't base my value of a match by dividing the entry fee by the number of stages.
  • SlivGod, Stubb, Cranky Gunsmith and 2 others like this

#15 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

Locals don’t need to cover hotels and food for staff.
Locals don’t provide water.
Locals don’t provide prizes or cash payouts.
Locals don’t provide lunch.
Locals don’t provide match shirts.
Locals don’t bring the heat.
Locals don’t have exposure.
Locals don’t get shooters from multiple states away to travel to them.

You are partly correct on this. Except all of our locals provide water and we usually have shooters from Tennessee, Georgia , and Mississippi. Oh and one gal from Florida sometimes

#16 Slow250

Slow250

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

Many a shooter bitch about the price of majors...  They still seem to be shooting them, because if you aren't registered wayyy out you can go ahead and join the wait-list or shoot Thursday AM if you're lucky. 

Some reasons to shoot majors-you can count on debugged stages, more shooting challenges and better shooters on average, cash (sometimes) and prizes.  Even though I'm not breaking even on a match bringing home/getting mailed a check makes my weekend seem a little less frivolous to my better half.

I could do without the free lunch and water, t-shirts and a few of the traveling pro ROs. 

#17 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

Why spend the extra $$$?

Some that I have asked say because of the competition it brings out. Yeah, I suck.

Then, at your skill level, Level 2s may not provide value for you. Not every runner that ever laced up a pair of shoes needs to be in the Boston Marathon.

Some state that the stages are so much better. Pretty sure they are not and that they will be up for this Saturday’s level 1match.

Using level 1 stages for a level 2 is a problem. Vice versa, not so much. If they just worked their staff around the clock for three days and need to give them a break on a club match a week later, whatever.

If they are phoning in the level 2 stages, then word will get out that it's a shit match and nobody will want to come back.

#18 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:55 AM

Doesn’t anybody shoot for fun anymore?

Round here a 1 day match is usually 6-7 stages, it’ll technically be a Lvl 2 but we’ll RO ourselves. The match fee will be $30 ish. No prizes, no lunch/drinks.

A 2 day match will be 12 stages and cost $60-$75, the rest will be the same.

A Level 3 will be the same but might cost $90 or so and would have static RO’s. Stages won’t necessarily be better.

Our Nationals last month was 20 stages over 4 days, cost $260 (shirt was $50 extra). No prizes but there was a random draw for some good stuff (by our standards) each day.

Match fees don’t matter much in the scheme of things. I’d pay up to $50 per day for a “good” match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 jnkranch

jnkranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Matt1, by god, I think you hit it on the head. “Shoot for fun”.

Although at times (ok, many times) it seems like “shoot for frustration”...

Personally, $20 per stage for fun(frustration), yeah, no.

I’m a buyer at maybe 1/2 that price.

#20 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

Maybe that's the key then. I'm only really having maximum fun when it's not an easy ass ride to win a match (and the stages aren't crap).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users