5 replies to this topic

#1 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Posted my match video in another thread but it's derailing discussion in there, so posting this here so as not to hijack his thread.

Back in November, my chronic light primer strikes finally came to a head. Realized my bench wasn't anchored to the floor or the wall so it was tipping back slightly when I went to seat primers. Moved all my loaded practice ammo and unloaded projectiles off the floor and on to the lower shelf of the bench and continued loading. Haven't had a problem since. (Well, I had one. At the last match before this. But just one, and it went off with a second strike.)

So when I was loading up this ammo late Thursday night, I didn't think about the fact that I shot up most of my loaded ammo in the MFCEO class Monday/Tuesday. And I am down to my last box of Blue Bullets while I save up for a 10k order. So my bench had almost no weight on it, and I was in a rush, and... you see the result.

It's a bummer, but I'm glad it happened now and not at South Carolina in two weeks. I'll be checking the primers on all the match ammo I load for that and probably look at actually anchoring down my workbench. It hurts me at some level to permanently affix an $80 folding workbench to my house, but watching this match video hurts me more.

#2 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Discussion from the other thread: 

Why did you just keep pulling the trigger when the gun stopped going off? Just curious, if one pull didn't set a round off four isn't going to do it.

That's how long it took me to snap out of subconscious shooting and realize I needed to do something outside of what I practice.

#3 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Better question is why do your primers not want to go bang. I feel like I see that happen to you pretty regularly. 2 times at that match and several other videos you have posted I see it happen. What gives?

See first post in this thread. It used to be a problem. I fixed the problem. Then I got lazy and in a rush and the problem came back.

#4 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

So, takeaways from the class that show up in this video:

1) Entirely needless drop stepping is bad. Especially when it's on loose gravel and you almost fall over. Done that two matches in a row now.

2) Shooting on the move is a good way to save time, and entirely doable. As I try to shoot stages like less of a pussy, I need to turn to my unhealthy fear of it in to a healthy respect for the tradeoffs. I clipped the perf on a no-shoot at the start of stage 1, but I still would take that stage plan again. Just have more followthrough on the last shot.

3) I shot ALL THE STEEL target focused in the class which quickly became very frustrating. Went in to this match with a conscious commitment to see good crisp sight pictures, especially on the knockdown plates. Didn't go one for one the whole match, but definitely shot steel like a completely different person than I have been for the last six months.

#5 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

For context, here's Chris Tilley, who shot his second match in Production at this match. 92% of available points shot, even shooting minor. He went a little crazy on stage 1 (the second stage in the video) going 21A, 10C but his time was a full three seconds faster than mine so what the fuck do I know?

#6 BenB

BenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

Damn son, after two DA pulls I feel like that's the time massive loud mental alarms are firing off in my head to rack the thing. Must be a nice ass trigger lol

Not especially. Eight and a half on a good day.

But it takes about a second, it looks like, to snap back to conscious shooting and rack the round out. I've only had a round not go off at all like this once, over a year ago. Needless to say it's not something I train for or have any kinda of plan for. And, honestly, I don't plan on changing that. Just going to unfuck the ammo situation and move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users