Photo

Tanfo witness gold team. good entry level open gun?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

I want get into the Open game, but not by dropping the g’s necessary for a full blown custom.

Is this a good enough off the shelf mass produced model to get going? Although, I didn’t see a disclaimer that promised instant M status the second I draw it.

Thought about the Czechmate as well.
  • SierasLourn likes this

#2 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

It’s a bargain. If the big stick mags being sold now work then it’s certainly viable. And of course it is competitive with anything else out there.

On injured reserve.

#3 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

I picked up a used Czechmate over the winter, with the thought that shooting with a dot might improve my production game. Not sure if it's working but it's a cheap way to test drive open. Got about $2500 in the gun and rig, and 9 major is cheap to reload....all I changed was bullet and powder type from my production reloads. Hardest part for me to transition to was flicking the safety off. It got better when I installed a Shadow 2 large safety on the Czechmate....the stock on was too hard to reach with my short thumbs...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Stubb likes this

#4 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

Two words for you: Carver Glock.

• Stranger Danger likes this

#5 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,248 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

not-sure-if-serious-or-troll-attempt.jpg

• slemmo, GooldMember and MEISTERB like this

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#6 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

9mm is gonna suck in the Gold Team. Suck badly. In 38 I think they would be a perfectly suitable gun however. 

Czechmate is a good gun, I like it a lot. Put in Shadow 2 safeties, put on some VZ diamondbacks, send mags to Grams for tuning. Shoot to your heart's content with an ultra reliable piece. 

Or realize that a 2011 is the way of true ballers, and just bite the bullet and get one. 

#7 Trigger Warning

Trigger Warning

That's What She Said

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationRaleighwood

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

I did a little 9mm major in the gold team. It was fairly punchy but the velocity was there using blue bullets. But, I agree the 38 is better period for that platform.

On injured reserve.

#8 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

I did a little 9mm major in the gold team. It was fairly punchy but the velocity was there using blue bullets. But, I agree the 38 is better period for that platform.

I don't doubt at all that it is doable in 9mm, but it does seem likely you would need to go to faster powder or heavier bullets, or both. Neither of which I am interested in. In a super though, it seems like it would be a serious hoot. 115s with like 14 grains of AA9, Lil Gun or something equally silly. Probably couldn't shoot it indoors though, might light the ceiling on fire.

• SlivGod and Trigger Warning like this

#9 The Guy From PR

The Guy From PR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

Or realize that a 2011 is the way of true ballers, and just bite the bullet and get one. 

+1

#10 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

I think that French dude did ok with a 9mm witness open gun, but that tech is probably old and busted by now since he's back to .38 Super.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#11 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

I'm guessing he realized the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze to run that gun in 9mm. Also, free. So who cares.

But honestly I do think it could certainly be done, there are plenty of people who shoot Gold Teams in 9mm. It is just for me personally, I don't think I would want to deal with it

#12 aandabooks

aandabooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Easy major. When I had mine HS-6 8.0gr and a 124PD RN made 174-175PF. They are loud as hell and the Cmore gets dirty.

#13 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

Ended up finding a lightly used Czechmate for 2300$ sitting in a case at my LGS. Thinned the herd and got rid of a few gats I could let go (my rule is, if I don’t shoot it for more than six months, I toss it) and covered the cost, so the wife stays off my ass.

Shoots amazing, but vomits cases out with off the shelf ammo with the comp on, but I expected it to do that not running major PF ammo through it. Looks like I’ll have to put a shack in my backyard and start my handloading operation soon if I wanna run 9 major. Probably just stick with higher PF minor for now.

#14 aandabooks

aandabooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

I think you can get major 9mm through Atlanta Arms.

#15 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted Today, 12:31 PM

I run a 10lbs recoil spring in mine + a buffer, works great for major loads and would probably help a bit with your minor ammo.

I think the factory recoil spring is far to stiff, I got severe nose dive with mine. putgting in the lighter spring made the dot come right back where I wanted it.

#16 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted Today, 01:28 PM

I run a 10lbs recoil spring in mine + a buffer, works great for major loads and would probably help a bit with your minor ammo.
I think the factory recoil spring is far to stiff, I got severe nose dive with mine. putgting in the lighter spring made the dot come right back where I wanted it.

That’s probably what I’ll ending up doing with it for now to at least get better ejection on the minor ammo. The comp is kind of a hood ornament right now since it’s not getting enough gas to run it properly

I did find a place called Everglades ammo that supplies 124 major for 15$/50 so I might give that a try in the meantime. 9 Brass discards are pretty plentiful at the local indoors match so I may stock up now for the future

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Vagetarian