60 replies to this topic

#1 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

No dickheads this isn’t an IDPA thread, it’s much worse. This will perhaps be Doodie’s 1st shotgun thread. I can see how excited you are already.

Short story:

About 18 months ago while shooting a pistol match I herniated the disk between my L-5 and S1 vertebrae. After about a year of not shooting pistols and rehabbing, I re-injured the same disk and had to have emergency surgery. The outcome was no more ballistic movements for me for the foreseeable future.

Rather than commit slow painful suicide by couch, I dusted off the old scattergat and shot a round of clays with an old hunting buddy. Then I saw some doodie post up some stuff about sporting clays is where the heat is going to be plus all the hot chicks that come along with $20,000 shotguns.

I could post this on a forum that’s shotgun centric. I’d probably get some relevant help too. Here I don’t have to deal with Fudds and that is worth the ridicule Im going to receive for starting a shotgun thread on a pistol forum.

Goals:

Here I am back to D-scrub shooter status. I don’t plan on being here long. My short term goal is to make high C or Low B by the end of the 2019 US Open next May. Long term, I want to make NSCA M.

Let’s go!

#2 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

Good luck. Back injuries are pretty rough. Anything you can find that doesn't aggrevate your injury and helps to keep the depression away is worth pursuing.

#3 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:44 AM

Hoping things get better for you, but WTF is a ballistic movement?
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#4 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:23 AM

Eyes are really important. The biggest change I’m have to deal with is where to focus. Pistol shooting is mostly front sight focus. You could probably win a lot of matches by only shooting front sight focus. Well the opposite is true with clays, everything is target focus. I’ve been doing 3- shell drills, in dry fire to try to break the habit of front sight focus. Improvements have been made but more are needed. Big, ass, giant, red, fiber optic rod on the end of my barrel isn’t helping either as it tends to catch my eye. Need to change that soon.

Summer is money making time so not much time for wet fire. Found a local trap club that shoots under the lights on Wednesday nights. Seeing improvements in scores and consistency but I’m not sure how much it will help with sporting clays. It’s trigger time nonetheless. Scores this week for 3 rounds were 16,17,17. Up from 13 average about a month ago.
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

#5 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

That’s what the doctor called it. Anything explosive. Running out of one position stopping at another. Jumping, squatting through a low port etc...

#6 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

Well, physics ain't his bag, hope he's a good doctor, though...

Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#7 Vagetarian

Vagetarian

I used to have 3 warning points.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationLightyears from Ben's nuts.

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

The more painkillers you take, the better you'll feel.  Until nothing else matters.  Like this thread.

• msm and Stranger Danger like this

Kitten_zps66d94599.jpg
I just man-handled that prick with my Type-A personality.
Dipshit tard duckweed goat humper.

You're all a bunch of fucking idiots and retards!

#8 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

If only there was a place one could search for definitions...Posted Image

#9 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

Like the interwebs or something.

Good luck on the sporting clays career Fishyjoe, it's not as fun as practical shooting, but it's the next best thing.

#10 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Made up terms/definitions by phys-ed majors don’t count.

bal·lis·tic
bəˈlistik
adjective
1. relating to projectiles or their flight.
2. moving under the force of gravity only.

Ballistic describes the unpowered movement of an object. That makes its use in relation to (powered) muscle movement exactly wrong.

Ballistic movement as a description of physical activity is stooooopid

It’s ok, I still hope he gets better.
  • Buck Turgidson and ralloway like this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#11 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

Made up terms/definitions by phys-ed majors don’t count.

bal·lis·tic
bəˈlistik
adjective
1. relating to projectiles or their flight.
2. moving under the force of gravity only.

Ballistic describes the unpowered movement of an object. That makes its use in relation to (powered) muscle movement exactly wrong.

Ballistic movement as a description of physical activity is stooooopid

It’s ok, I still hope he gets better.

I thought a "ballistic movement" is what I had this past weekend after eating some bad BBQ.....
  • Doc likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#12 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:17 AM

Eyes are really important. The biggest change I’m have to deal with is where to focus. Pistol shooting is mostly front sight focus. You could probably win a lot of matches by only shooting front sight focus. Well the opposite is true with clays, everything is target focus. I’ve been doing 3- shell drills, in dry fire to try to break the habit of front sight focus. Improvements have been made but more are needed. Big, ass, giant, red, fiber optic rod on the end of my barrel isn’t helping either as it tends to catch my eye. Need to change that soon.

Summer is money making time so not much time for wet fire. Found a local trap club that shoots under the lights on Wednesday nights. Seeing improvements in scores and consistency but I’m not sure how much it will help with sporting clays. It’s trigger time nonetheless. Scores this week for 3 rounds were 16,17,17. Up from 13 average about a month ago.

Ditch the fiber optic ASAP and replace it with something that doesn't glow and is as small as possible.

Quite a few shots in sporting are based on trap and skeet shots.  Trap and skeet are boring as fuck but do provide relevant training.

• Fishyjoe likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#13 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

I thought a "ballistic movement" is what I had this past weekend after eating some bad BBQ.....

Actually a much more accurate description of the path taken by your ‘product’ during its flight into the shitter or across the room as the case may be...

The term they should be using might be ‘explosive movement’ since one definition of explosive is:
“relating to a sudden and dramatic increase in amount or extent.”
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#14 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

Actually a much more accurate description of the path taken by your ‘product’ during its flight into the shitter or across the room as the case may be...

The term they should be using might be ‘explosive movement’ since one definition of explosive is:
“relating to a sudden and dramatic increase in amount or extent.”

Well, to be completely accurate, there are three areas of ballistics: internal, external, and terminal.

Internal: what the BBQ did to my GI system

External: what happened to the shot of semi-liquefied, putrid excrement on its flight to meet the porcelain

Terminal: the mess that I had to clean

#15 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

That sounds about right....
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg

#16 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

Concentration:

“When you are shooting at your best are you satisfied with your skill level? (The mental approach is not a substitute for poor mechanics.)

Are your misses random? Do they increase with pressure? Is there a predictable ‘missing pattern’?

When missing, how do you feel? Are you confident or confused? Are you in control or rushing?

Is there more than one aspect of your shooting that results in missing? (Pressure creates stress that increases muscle tension and restricts movement which results in poor concentration and reduced visual acuity.)”

Excerpt From
Breaking Clays
Chris Baths

1. Being a competitor most of my life I’ve learned that being satisfied with your performance is relative. Did I win? Yes? I’m satisfied but what can I improve? No? No I’m not satisfied.

2. Misses are and sometimes approach oriented and random. I honestly don’t mind pressure so I think this has less of an impact on my clays game than other shooters.

3 There is a real slippery slope in this game more than others. For me the best approach has been to not focus on what I did on the last station, last pair, or last bird. I’m trying to simply trust the process from target to target.

To help me to trust the process, I’m trying to establish a preshot routine. Just like my pistol routine I want there to be certain physical and mental cues that trigger my brain to get into the state of concentration that I need to break targets.

Shot 3 rounds of trap on Wednesday. 17,16,19. That 19 felt really good, and being able to walk out after that, will hopefully carry over. Did some flashlight drill from various mounting positions. I’m working on getting my hands moving simultaneously so my swings won’t be as jerky. Going to try and get out on Tuesday for a round of clays. It will probably be my last until September.

#17 TryHarder

TryHarder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

That’s what the doctor called it. Anything explosive. Running out of one position stopping at another. Jumping, squatting through a low port etc...

I'm not sure I've had a ballistic movement during a match for a while. Maybe in the bathroom a few times.

#18 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

A good fitting vest is more important in clay bird shooting than you'd think. It's tough for a pistol shooter to take up clay birds but from what I've seen it's much harder for a rifle shooter. I was actually working with a pretty good ROTC rifle shooter this week who is going to shoot some shotgun, hard to break that front sight focus and precision trigger habit but once he did he started smoking some birds.

I like clay bird competition almost as much as pistol but, especially sporting clays, is very vision demanding at least the courses I've shot where most of the presentations are in the woods. I just can't pick out the birds in the shady woods well enough. Trap, Skeet and 5 Stand you can get away with some vision problems. The biggest key for me was realizing how much focus on the bird itself is needed to really shoot well.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#19 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:20 AM

I'm not sure I've had a ballistic movement during a match for a while. Maybe in the bathroom a few times.

Didn’t some chick have a ND while in the shitter a while back? Or she DQ’d herself or something? That would probably qualify as a ballistic movement.

#20 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

Pretty sure we can add that one to "phrases" thread...even though I've never heard/seen it before...

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users