#21 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

The biggest key for me was realizing how much focus on the bird itself is needed to really shoot well.

Like 110%

On the subject of vests, I don't wear one between June and early October.  Too fucking hot and humid around here.  I wear instead a "half vest" from Cabelas, except I tossed the shit nylon "belt" it came with for a cheap 1 1/2" leather belt.

s7_941149_022_01.jpg

• BettieWhite likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#22 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:25 AM

That's not a vest. It's an apron. Williams Sanoma has a better selection of aprons next time you guys are shopping.
  • slemmo, Buck Turgidson, racetaco and 2 others like this

#23 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:41 AM

I’m pretty sure that is an IDPA kilt.
  • Yard Sale, Buck Turgidson and Stranger Danger like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#24 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

Those "half vests" are the tits this time of year when shooting any of the clay games.

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#25 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

What's the opening in the front for when they are all so dickless?

• Yard Sale and Buck Turgidson like this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#26 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

No MOLLE on it, so can't be "tactical"

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#27 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

No MOLLE on it, so can't be "tactical"

Is it coyote brown?

#28 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Is it coyote brown?

Nope, field tan.  So hunting > tactical.

#29 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

Nope, field tan. So hunting > tactical.

Is it available in MULTICAM?

#30 Intel6

Intel6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

When it gets hot you need to get a fishnet vest.

#31 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

Right, 'cause that shit never gets hung on anything...

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#32 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

Mine IS mesh, but there's enough non-mesh shit on it (pockets, shoulders, back yoke) that I still sweat like a whore in church.

#33 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:06 PM

Look at all this fuckery.....

Wednesday night trap was canceled because the range was flooded. It pissed all day Monday and Tuesday so no clays this week either. I did some shotgun dry-fire. 3 shell drills, flashlight drills and mounts. Swing is smoothing out as wobble is disappearing. Hands are starting to move in unison. Front sight focus is still an issue.

Summer is officially in full swing, that means very little time for anything other than making money. However I’ve discovered some “eye exercises” that I’m going to start working on every night for 15-20 minutes. More on that next time.

#34 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

The vest is mesh and it’s quite comfortable. However I just take it off between stages. It’s a trick I learned in IDPA. No it’s not multcam.

#35 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

Eye exercising.

“With your eyes closed but relaxed, start by rotating them up and around in a 360 degree circle, five full rotations, first to the right and then five full rotations to the left. Then with your eyes still shut, look up and down five times in each direction. Finally, roll your eyes five times fully left and right. At first you will find stretching exercises difficult to do, but with practice they become an excellent preliminary work out before further exercises or as a pre-match warmup.”

I’ve been working on this everyday before getting out of bed. If I do nothing else the rest of the day I do this.

I’ve also set up a few clay targets around my shop. I mark them with a dot in the center then dots at 12,3,6, and 9 o’clock. Whenever I pass by and have a free minute I’ll focus on the center, relax eyes on the entire bird, then hard focus on one of the other dots on the edge. The object is transitioning focus of the eyes from hard focus the soft focus then back to hard.

I may be wrong here but here is my theory on this exercise in particular as it relates to sporting clays.

1. Pick a focal point near your where you will first see the bird.
2. The bird will appear in your peripheral and will cause your eye to adjust/relax and find the bird
3. Resume your hard focus on the leading edge once you have to bird locked in your sight.

I’ve only been doing this for about a week, but at trap tonight, I felt like I was picking up the clays a lot sooner. I shot 3 rounds, 18,20,20. A couple of the regulars commented that I was shooting better tonight. I don’t think it was all vision related because my concentration was on tonight too. The misses I had weren’t because I was delayed in picking up the target, it was other factors, I had pulled a couple of wobbly swing, and shot behind/under a couple of birds, in other words, poor execution.

I’m really digging this eye exercising thing, I think this could be the be the dry fire of the shotgun world.

#36 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

It’s been a while since my last update but I had to make that money over the summer. Life is hard when you’re self sponsored.

Things I’ve been working on:

Eye exercises. This stuff is legit, just like other muscles, your eyes get stronger. I’m not saying it will cure blindness, but picking up targets and transitions from soft to hard focus has improved.

Trap scores have improved. Shot four rounds this week. 21,19,19,23. One thing I want to add to trap practice is changing my approach occasionally. I want to add some mounts to my practice. This will lead to lower scores short term but hopefully will help build skills for other games.

I’m trying to find a local skeet club as I’ve determined that trap and skeet are going most economical way to practice. There is a local shotgun centric club about 45 minutes from the house I want to check out. Have to find 2 sponsors though. We’ll see.

I picked up an AimCam. Hope to get some video to add to this diary.

Things I need to work on:

I still trying to commit totally to the break point philosophy. The problem I’m dealing with is the transition to the second target. I find myself chasing the second bird occasionally.

#37 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

Well the search for a new club has ended, I think. Pretty nice actually. 5 trap fields including a dedicated wobble and a dedicated doubles. Skeet field and 5 stand. They’re currently open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Once I get officially in, I can sign up for volunteering, then I’ll get the key to be able to practice whenever I want. Voice activated traps on the trap field and wireless on skeet. Pretty excited plus they host ATA events every other month. $100 annually and $4/round is better than I was hoping for. Extra money for shell means more blasting.

I shot a lot today. 7 rounds total. 3 rounds this morning were great! I was seeing things real well. I missed 6 birds in three rounds and one round was from the 19 yard line. On the last round, the target changed. The company sent a couple of cases of black rim on orange target as opposed to solid orange. The bird appeared smaller and faster against the dark green trees on the back drop. I missed two before I figured out what happened. Free, cheap lesson that may help somewhere down the road. Scores were 23,24,22

Tonight was back to reality. I shot 19,21,20,18. I was pretty tired in the last round and I shouldn’t have shot. I wasn’t making good moves, my reaction time felt off so I’d try to swing faster. The result was sloppy swings that you knew would result in a miss as soon as I started to move. More experience, just need to figure out a way to be better when I’m not at my best. Hopefully will get some skeet and 5 stand in this weekend. Then I have something big scheduled for next Wednesday.

#38 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

Shot a lot this week:

Had a lesson scheduled on Wednesday, but the pro had a last minute schedule conflict so it was pushed back to Friday. Instead I went to the local sporting clays club and shot. I made it through the “easy” course without any major issues.

Went to the lesson on Friday, and it was eye opening. The 1st couple of stations were used to assess skill level and any underlying issues such as eye dominance, gun fit etc.... She determined there was nothing pressing. Then the fun began. It was like drinking from the proverbial fire hydrant.

The 1st couple of lessons for me were to establish the fundamentals for me. Establish the break point-> hold point-> focus point -> pick-up point. While I was working the fundamentals she was paying attention to details and learning what mistakes I was making and correcting them as the day progressed. I have a tendency to pick my head up on the 1st target early to look for the 2nd. She explained to me that there are no surprises in this game and to improve I have to learn to trust the process. She drove this home on a particular station. The station was in the woods so light was reduced, bird 1 was incoming slowly but showing lots of belly. It was kinda hard to see with black belly against the dark green woods but it wasn’t moving very fast. Bird 2 was a midi that was hauling ass away and kinda curved around a tree near the end. As a report pair it was kind of an easy station and we shot it that way a few times. The she said let’s shoot it as a simultaneous pair. This forced me to take the midi 1st then come back and look for a short window shot on a hard to find bird. Without me even knowing it, she taught me the whole crux of the lesson in one station. Work the fundamentals and trust the process.

The lesson in general was very fast paced and I’m sure I’ll be digesting the information over the next few weeks as I apply what I learned. I’m hoping to do a follow up in November, after my 1st registered shoot in mid-October.

#39 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

Well I got the call from the president of the new club on Saturday. I was voted in, so I could come down and pick up my membership card. Shot a few rounds of trap. 24, 22, 19. Not bad, I was tired from all the shooting on Friday but I’ll take it. Talked with the couple of skeet guys, they shoot skeet and 5 stand every Saturday morning. That’s where I’ll be. Next mission, get certified to open the 5 stand, plus a fall 5 stand league is starting.

Shot 3 rounds tonight at the old club. 22,23,23. I was seeing the bird nice and clear tonight. Thinking about shooting one of the ATA events. If I can go in as an E-scrub, there’s a good chance to scoop some cash, and prizes. We will see.

#40 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:02 AM

Does sandbagging work as well in sporting clays as in USPSA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users