#41 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:05 PM

Does sandbagging work as well in sporting clays as in USPSA?

Better.  There's cash on the line.

• slemmo likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#42 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:18 PM

Does sandbagging work as well in sporting clays as in USPSA?

Yes, while the goal is ultimately HOA, classes get paid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

Shot my 1st registered birds on Sunday. Had the jitters early. Settled down on the 2nd half of the 3rd station and started breaking birds. Next time I might try to shoot a few practice birds before the shooting the actual event. Good news is, I didn’t finish last. Bad news is I need more work. Liked the course and I would definitely go back. Challenging targets but not stupid. Had a hard time seeing a few birds which were promptly missed but that’s my fault. I haven’t missed a rabbit in a month, so I got that going for me. Decided to shoot some clays this morning, I even managed to get some video. Still trying to figure this camera out. What time it likes and what it doesn’t, you’ll have to deal with it in the mean time. The important thing is you can clearly see a couple of misses. One miss my swing was wonky and the other was a surprise miss which translates into I picked my head up too soon. Going to be slow going for the next few weeks but the goal is the oyster shoot and Schraders in November.

https://youtu.be/wewUjPhD_O8

#44 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

Posted Image

Found this in the mailbox today. Guess I won something, that or my score was so bad that hey refunded me a little to compensate. Couple of more and I’ll have a deduction or I’ll be able to buy something from the doodie classifieds.

Shot some trap on Wednesday. Scores are staying 21-23 average. Shot 100 sporting clays on Tuesday. Shot well, didn’t get any video worth sharing. Only shot about 4 stations because I was trying trying different break points. Last tournament, I had one station really wreak havoc on my score as the light made the 2nd bird hard to pick up. I could see it fine in the lookers, saw it fine when the others shot it, but when I stepped in the box I couldn’t find it. I missed the 1st completely, the second I say at the very end of its flight and missed. I switched my bp on the final 2 birds of the stage on the fly. But I lost 2 birds that were very breakable. Break points and target line are like stage plans, it’s got to be burned in before you step up to shoot. If it is, you can make adjustments, if not it’s a miss or worse.

Shot Sunday with a hunting friend. Every time in the past, we would be close in score. Sunday I smoked him by 12 birds. So I have that going for me.

#45 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:10 AM

Crazy stuff.....A country that still use checks.

#46 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:45 AM

And yet managed to walk on the moon 49 yrs ago.  Still waiting on more advanced nations to get it done.

• Intel6 likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#47 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:32 AM

I thought most eurotrash spelled it “cheque”? Learn something new everyday.
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

#48 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:24 AM

And yet managed to walk on the moon 49 yrs ago.  Still waiting on more advanced nations to get it done.

Most western nations could probably get it done if they could be bothered, but whats the point now?

#49 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

Most western nations could probably get it done if they could be bothered

Not even you believes that

#50 Perfecto

Perfecto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationIn the sauna, naked.

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Most western nations could probably get it done if they could be bothered, but whats the point now?

With all HBT millenials they would steer straight for Uranus.

~ Does Your lack of skill require a rifle in pistol matches? ~

#51 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

Millennials should be changed to generation ass eaters.

#52 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

Not even you believes that

So you're saying that what the US did almost 50 years ago  with 60s tech couldnt be repeated by pretty much any other western nation today? Not even you believe that.

I think it's mostly down to why spend shitloads of money to do something that's been done before mainly to fuck with the Russians when there are more interesting challenges to be made.

#53 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

So you're saying that what the US did almost 50 years ago  with 60s tech couldnt be repeated by pretty much any other western nation today?

Yep.  That's what I'm saying.  Even the Chinese can't get it done.

#54 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

The Moon is a “No Parking, Standing or Stopping” zone.....
Everyone knows that all the cool alien gizmos are up there, just outta our sight....where do you think night vision came from, and why do you think it’s green when you look into the sights???? Aliens I tell you.
  • slemmo and Buck Turgidson like this

#55 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:33 PM

.Posted Image
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

#56 slemmo

slemmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:08 AM

There are several good articles on why it takes time to repeat a manned landing, and why it's not a high priority for most nations....just google it.....back to the thread topic....launching clays in the air.

#57 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:01 PM

why it's not a high priority for most nations....

They are too busy suppressing internal dissent (China), have a fucked up social structure (India), are broke dick (Japan), are overrun with dirty mongrels (Europe), or are full of stupid, uneducated cholos (anything south of the US).

#58 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

Part of preparing for my next shoot I decided to go and check out the venue. Schrader’s on MD’s Eastern shore is somewhat local to me but this was my 1st visit. It’s pretty nice. Its clean, well maintained. There are several towers which is somewhat out of the ordinary. Each tower threw different presentations. Some were speed, some were falling.... It was worth going to get a look and some practice on those targets. Hopefully it will give me a little confidence when I see them again. I liked the way the course was set. There were 16 stations and each station had 4 different traps. 2 novice and 2 expert. I shot most of the expert presentations. Of those, there were only 2-3 birds that was problematic.

One station was 2 tower birds, the 1st bird was sort of driven with a slight curl to the left then disappeared in some trees followed by a midi was basically falling. The 1st target looked the best late just as it started to curl. The 2nd I would have liked to break sooner but there was some distance more than 40 yards and it was a smaller target.

The other target I was having a hard time with was the second bird in a pair. It was a long crosser,more than 50 yards with some speed. With the distance and speed, a substantial lead was necessary. The window was very tight. For me the target was a blur until about 1/2 way across the zone. If you waited until it was clear you were beat because your shot would be hitting tree limbs. If it was the 1st bird of a pair you could get a good hold point and make a quick move but they didn’t allow us that luxury. I tried that target about 20 times, hit like 5. . Posted Image
Really nice elevated 5 stand.
Posted Image

Another 5 stand with a couple of towers

Posted Image

Couple of more towers

Posted Image

View from the cage.

#59 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

It’s been a while since my last entry. Not much has changed except the weather. I shot the oyster shoot. Not happy with the my results. Actually did ok on the 5 stand 2nd in class and 1 punch I think. Lost class by 2 birds. 2 mental errors, because the birds were hittable Infact I probably hit them a some other point in the competition.

The main event I shot my best score yet. Not saying much. But I finished lower middle in class. I don’t know if I’d go to another shoot there unless it was a regional or state level event. Heard it mentioned a couple of times that the same targets were used the day before for another shoot. Heard it from other competitors and at least 1 trapper. Not sure how I feel about that yet. One thing I’m sure about is that at the very least it’s lazy.

Things I learned about my shooting at the match. I need to work on simo pairs. Most of my misses were on simo pair stations. There were a lot of simo pairs on this course probably half which I thought was a little extreme but whatever. Bottom line is I need to be gooder on simos.

Moving forward for the winter. I’m joining a polar bear trap league. Kind of excited about it. I’m going to really focus on trap for this thing. I have a couple of weeks to re acclimate to trap style. The others in the league are mostly experienced trap guys so I should learn a thing or two in the process.

There are 2 shoots coming up in December. Problem is they’re the same day, so I’ll have to decide which one to shoot. One is local, the other is about 2.5hrs driving so we will see.

#60 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

I shot a shit ton last week. Shell budget needs to be higher next year. That or I’ll have to find another solution. Burning about a flat a week at 50-60 a flat adds up. I am trying to achieve death stalker status and need more reps.

Joining the New club was an overall win. Big savings on target fees plus the ability to just sit there and throw the same target until you can you hit it consistently is really nice. Paying .16 per target is better than .40. I look at it the same way as a driving range. Putting the work in there, hopefully it will pay off at tournaments.

In an attempt to work on true pairs, I’ve been shooting a lot of skeet. I’m finding it to help my mental approach. The shots on a skeet field are all makable so any miss is a mental breakdown. Also the the pairs are quick to help me speed up my eyes so transitions get faster and smooth everything out. What I’m finding out is I’m dwelling ever so slightly on the 1st shot. I guess this is where shot calling comes into play. Instead of seeing what I need to see and transitioning to the 2nd bird I marvel at how pretty the starburst is on the 1st target before moving on. See what you need to see then put your eyes where you will pickup the next target, get control of it then break it. I’ve been trying to start the transition move when I see the 1st chip instead of the starburst.

Next tournament is local. Kind of excited about that as I get to sleep in and it’s only about 30 minutes from home. It’s where I shoot sporting so there will be an extra level of comfort. I am expecting big things. They’ll have a 5stand event the same day so I’ll shoot both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users