Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

Fair points

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#22 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

I will eventually probably get either:
the Bushnell DMR2 or
the Bushnell XRS2 or
the Vortex Viper PST2

Those three seem to be the front runners for me right now. I like the EBR-2C a lot, but from what I've heard the Bushnell glass (especially the XRS) is much better than the vortex. Like Razor gen 2 quality, but for less money.

#23 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

I agree with your assessment, Bushnell DMR/XRS > anything Vortex

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#24 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

Gooldy what gun and cartridge?

#25 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Gooldy what gun and cartridge?

Savage 12FV in 6.5 creed, Bushnell LRS 10x mildot, EGW 20MOA base, Burris XTR 1" low rings, Harris S-BRM 6-9 with lever.

I did the math and all in the whole rig cost a whopping $466. 

#26 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

Sweet! That's awesome.

Do u have a chrono or will you just work out the dope mechanically?

Handloading?

You gonna try that upper nisqually match July 7? It's last "beginner friendly" match.
  • GooldMember likes this

#27 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

I'm mostly just hoping that you can crush some $4K rig souls by beating them with a Wal-mart special, but I'm also questioning being able to assemble even a low-budget rig like that for $466...

• GooldMember likes this

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#28 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Sweet! That's awesome.

Do u have a chrono or will you just work out the dope mechanically?

Handloading?

You gonna try that upper nisqually match July 7? It's last "beginner friendly" match.

Yeah it is, I'm super stoked. Borrowed my buddy's chrono for yesterday, I am planning to get one of my own. Maybe the Magnetospeed sportsman.

Yes, gonna be handloading but haven't started yet. Probably going to buy a bulk pack of the Hornady American Gunner 140 to accumulate brass. At 0.70 a round, it is basically cheaper than buying the brass then loading it. Works out to be about 40 cents apiece for the brass vs 50+ cents apiece. 

No, I am going to be in Hawaii getting hitched. 

Thinking about buying the "drop-in" PTG bottom metal for my rifle, bedding it and just running it as is. I didn't realize that was an option, but at only 130 bucks that is much more attractive than buying a $650+ chassis. I had been looking at the MPA BA Lite.

#29 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

I'm mostly just hoping that you can crush some $4K rig souls by beating them with a Wal-mart special, but I'm also questioning being able to assemble even a low-budget rig like that for $466...

Cabela's exclusive 12FV, on sale, plus $100 rebate, plus buying $100 gift cards off ebay for $80 = ~$180 https://www.cabelas....FLE/1994604.uts

Bushnell LRS 10x on super sale: https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B004NKY6DU= $98

Harris bipod from wally world, was 92 when I ordered it: https://www.walmart....g-Notch/5585788

$10 podlock: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EGW base https://www.midwayus...ar-short-action

Burris XTR rings: https://www.midwayus...yle-rings-matte

I didn't include the $10 bubble level I ordered which arrives today: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• SomeGuy likes this

#30 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

I would budget for a replacement stock. I am sure that Boyds has something that will work and you can bed it yourself with a kit.

The tuperware stock will likely be a limiting factor. Speaking from experience. Have had good experiences with Savage rifles all around.

#31 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

I would budget for a replacement stock. I am sure that Boyds has something that will work and you can bed it yourself with a kit.

The tuperware stock will likely be a limiting factor. Speaking from experience. Have had good experiences with Savage rifles all around.

I was kinda planning on that after awhile. The Pro Varmint with an adjustable cheek piece and a limbsaver pad is 220. Would I be able to put that PTG bottom metal into it if I got one?

#32 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Take it from me, who went through three different stocks before ending on the right one: save your money and get a KRG chassis from the get go.

• chachacha likes this

#33 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

Take it from me, who went through three different stocks before ending on the right one: save your money and get a KRG chassis from the get go.

What rifle do you have? For the savage they only sell one, the 180-Alpha. If they sold the Bravo for savage I would probably own it already but they don't.

If I go chassis, I'm kinda leaning towards the MPA BA Lite. Cheaper, lighter, has a bubble built in, and, most importantly, comes in snazzy colors.

#34 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

I'm interested in seeing how you cheap out on a good sizing die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#35 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:59 PM

What rifle do you have? For the savage they only sell one, the 180-Alpha. If they sold the Bravo for savage I would probably own it already but they don't.

If I go chassis, I'm kinda leaning towards the MPA BA Lite. Cheaper, lighter, has a bubble built in, and, most importantly, comes in snazzy colors.

I have a pair of Howa 1500s, both on 180-Xray chassis.  I don't know WTF people see in the Bravo.  The Xray and Alpha chassis are superior IMO.

#36 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:44 AM

I'm interested in seeing how you cheap out on a good sizing die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hornady Match. 80 for the set as opposed to like 200.

I have a pair of Howa 1500s, both on 180-Xray chassis. I don't know WTF people see in the Bravo. The Xray and Alpha chassis are superior IMO.

I like the way the traditional stock looks, plus it is lighter, cheaper, and very simple (fewer things to go wrong, same as pistols I figure).

The 180-Alpha is definitely still on the list though. The MPA and that one would be similar-ish in price (770 for KRG, 650 plus 35 for spigot for MPA), but I like the look of the MPA and the weight. We will see.

#37 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

Knowing your wind calls is far more important in PRS than a >moa rifle. In any sport that has opportunities to spend cash the bucks up gear queers will spend lots.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#38 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

Knowing your wind calls is far more important in PRS than a >moa rifle. In any sport that has opportunities to spend cash the bucks up gear queers will spend lots.

Yeah for sure. I'm pretty sure this rifle is gonna shoot a lot better than that though! I've seem some sub-1" 250 yard groups from people that have the same rifle.

And luckily, living in the desert I will get to learn plenty about wind calls bahaha

#39 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

Go ahead and ignore the two flyers in that 5 shot group. Scrub status called horrible misses.

For the two "3 shot" groups you get .562 and .675, for .298 and .411 center to center.

Still learning. Really need to get a 22 just to work on trigger control.Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

Qb9fhKF.jpg

Went yesterday to the one round at a time fudd range. Testing different rest positions like bipod, sandbag, soft pillow, sandbag close to mag/v far out on handguard.

Ammo American gunner bulk 123grn tom
Rifle ar15 in 6.5 grendel
  • Maul and GooldMember like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users