#1 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

A beginner's attempt at precision rifle matches.

Background: I've always loved hitting targets with great focus and accuracy. Started watching some precision rifle match videos a year ago or more. Thought- "hell that shit looks too expensive and I have no where to train." But the urge kept growing.

Had an old 20inch hbar ar15 that I didn't like. Bought a 24" 6.5 grendel barrel for it and a fixed swfa 12x scope (I had watched a lot of good video reviews on it. Cheap for a semi decent scope).

Now- after watching all these vids and reading more. This gun is not really suited for these matches. Pretty much nobody is using this weak caliber. And most are using custom bolt guns. But I like ars and I'm known to do things the hard way and the dumb way just to be different. Lol.
  • Trigger Warning and GooldMember like this

#2 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

Testing reloads in winter from a fudd range.
One round at a time loaded. Probably took 2 mibutes between shots. Gathering velocity data with magnaspeed chrono.

5Nxgvjl.jpg

#3 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

8hJN0h0.jpg

Some decent results. Made me berry happy.

Barrel was a cheap brownells (satern liberty).

#4 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

As somebody that does not shoot, has never shot, and probably never will shoot PRS, I can only forward what limited info I do have. It can basically be summed up in 2 points: Buy a .22 bolt gun (CZ makes excellent ones) and get good at punching ragged holes from all of the positions; and, if you want a bitchin' bolt gun without spending Custom money, get a TRG.

Best of luck with your endeavors. I think this will be a fun RD to follow.

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#5 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

E0k3rMD.jpg

#6 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

As somebody that does not shoot, has never shot, and probably never will shoot PRS, I can only forward what limited info I do have. It can basically be summed up in 2 points: Buy a .22 bolt gun (CZ makes excellent ones) and get good at punching ragged holes from all of the positions; and, if you want a bitchin' bolt gun without spending Custom money, get a TRG.

Best of luck with your endeavors. I think this will be a fun RD to follow.

I did take a appleseed course in fall and got rifleman patch. Was very accurate. I had done 2 weeks of dryfire in basement in the 3 positions before taking it and worked through a lot of issues. (Basically using Ben Stoegers sryfire techniques for rifle.).

But that was with a 10/22

#7 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

The swfa scope.
Half mil dashes and triangles at full mil.

gGkU7FH.jpg
  • ralloway likes this

#8 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

Read a blog where the guy scientifically tests all the gear for prs
He tested brakes and supressors and foumd the BEST one for limiting muzzle movement was the jP tank brake
But then said no one uses it because it's like wearing a Fanny pack.
I don't get it. If it works the BEST- why not use it? Not cool enough. Every sport or hobby has its gear snobs and those that don't fit in. I'm the latter. :)
4ng5Zls.jpg

I also put lead weights in the stock.

Gun weighs like 14 lbs.

#9 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Fall Appleseed shoot.
22lr, times stages from standing sitting and prone (top to bottom) XBwELNp.jpg
  • ralloway likes this

#10 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

https://youtu.be/Xpj_vffxogg

Took the grendel to a local range with steel at 220 yards and it was very easy to nail the steel from the bench. Of course this distance isn't long.

#11 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Fast forward to last sayurday. Finally saw a match a couple hours away.. Emailed about it.

Turns out it was one the organizers geared towards new guys like me.

Excited but nervous. I knew I probably wouldn't do that well. But I also thought on the back of my head, "I'm a great shot and I will probably impress everyone!" Ha Ha ha.

xn3FJkO.jpg

Shooting from weird barricades and dog houses and tank traps. Par time 2 minutes (which they said was pretty generous). About 8-9 shots per stage.
Ranges 300- 600 yards. No wind really. A touch of breeze in the afternoon.

Saw a few of the bigger YouTube guys there. Virtually everyone had fancy gear. Multiple 100 dollar pillows. I thought was kind of silly. (More on that in a moment)

Then i got to my first stage . I threw the gun up onto the barricade and.... Holy shit. I cannot keep this reticle steady. Combination of heart beat and adrenaline, and wobbly rest on wood. Legs bent awkwardly. Shaking. Oh well. Might as well pull the trigger when the crosshairs bounce over the target. Haha that does NOT WORK.

in general I scored 2-4 hits per stage think.

I had plenty of time left in stage . I was rushing but didn't realize it.

Looking back now- I wasn't building a position before shooting. I was just trying to get off first shot as quickly as possible.

Tried a bag one of the guys let me use. wayyyyyyyy steadier! I need one.
But I still wasn't making as many hits as I know i can. I was rushing and forgetting the fundamentals. (This is all realized after the match).
  • GooldMember likes this

#12 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

Built this last night to practice dryfire

QpZM07J.jpg

Need to order this scope objective lens thing that makes it possible to focus at like 10 feet so I can dryfire in basement safely.
  • Stubb likes this

#13 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

Every sport or hobby has its gear snobs and those that don't fit in. I'm the latter. :)

Let your shooting do the talking

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#14 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

An aluminum step ladder works just as well as a practice barricade

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#15 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

Good idea! Oh well- that thing took an 45 min and 20 bucks

#16 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Let your shooting do the talking

It spoke poorly of me so far.

To be clear I'm not really ridiculing them. Those bags seem to work like a mofo. But they had the skills too. Very stable. I started noticing how they build their positions with subtle things like forearms acting as sort of a triangle brace against scope and barricade. Etc.

#17 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:33 AM

Pretty much nobody is using this weak caliber.

While the Grendel may not be the best choice for PRS, I believe it to be the best all-around AR-15 based cartridge extant.  By a long shot.  No pun intended.  And "weak" it most certainly is not.  It combines all of the best attributes of the AR-15 based rounds and gives you more capability in almost every circumstance.  If you handload, there is little it cannot do well (within reason). 

#18 slink

slink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

I agree- I just meant for prs.

#19 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

I am subscribing to this, we can suffer along through this nightmarish rifle hellscape together. 

#20 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:03 AM

Collected dope from 300 out to 1300 today. My barrel is super fast apparently. American Gunner 140 is listed as 2690 on the box, it was making 2876 average out of my gun. I am pleased by this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users