76 replies to this topic

#21 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:34 AM

Collected dope from 300 out to 1300 today. My barrel is super fast apparently. American Gunner 140 is listed as 2690 on the box, it was making 2876 average out of my gun. I am pleased by this.

What gun? I’m assuming a 6.5 gaymore based on bullet weight and speed

#22 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

What gun? I’m assuming a 6.5 gaymore based on bullet weight and speed

Hurtful.

Yes, it's my new savage 12FV in 6.5. I'm into the whole rifle, bipod, scope and everything for under six hundred bucks, I'm shooting factory ammo that costs $0.70 per round, and I'm getting hits out to 1300. Doesn't get much more "value oriented" than that haha
  • Buck Turgidson and ralloway like this

#23 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Hurtful.

Yes, it's my new savage 12FV in 6.5. I'm into the whole rifle, bipod, scope and everything for under six hundred bucks, I'm shooting factory ammo that costs $0.70 per round, and I'm getting hits out to 1300. Doesn't get much more "value oriented" than that haha

That's fucking awesome

I'm having sort of a burnout with other shooting sports and I've been dragging my rifles out more and more.

I have two identical Howa 1500s in KRG 180-xray chassis, one in 223 the other in 308.  Both have similar SWFA scopes, same triggers, same bipods, same exact stock dimensions.  I've been using the 223 for positional training at my local 100 yd range.  Overturned wooden tables and shooting benches offer barricade positions limited only by your imagination.

My 308 handloads give up very little to 6.5s, verified at 1000 with 9.8 mils of elevation and needing only about .2 mils more wind in the same condition, compared to my bud and his Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5 Creed.  FWIW 42.5 grains of Ramshot TAC in Lapua cases with S&B primers and topped with Hornady 178 ELD-Xs.

I might even get in a PRS club match in next weekend.

• GooldMember likes this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#24 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

That's fucking awesome

I'm having sort of a burnout with other shooting sports and I've been dragging my rifles out more and more.

I have two identical Howa 1500s in KRG 180-xray chassis, one in 223 the other in 308.  Both have similar SWFA scopes, same triggers, same bipods, same exact stock dimensions.  I've been using the 223 for positional training at my local 100 yd range.  Overturned wooden tables and shooting benches offer barricade positions limited only by your imagination.

My 308 handloads give up very little to 6.5s, verified at 1000 with 9.8 mils of elevation and needing only about .2 mils more wind in the same condition, compared to my bud and his Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5 Creed.  FWIW 42.5 grains of Ramshot TAC in Lapua cases with S&B primers and topped with Hornady 178 ELD-Xs.

My rifle with the 140 AG stuff is showing ~28MOA/8.1 mil to 1000. That was yesterday at least. Once I can get decent at hitting what I'm aiming at static I'll start working in the positional stuff. I am excited to learn it but not there yet.

I wouldn't have ever thought of using TAC in bigger rifles, I always think of it as a 223 powder. Do you think it would work in the 6.5? I have 9 pounds of the stuff I am kinda sitting on since I never shoot my AR. Google doesn't seem to turn up much other than "it is too fast for 140 class bullets"

#25 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

Yep, TAC is too fast for heavy 6 and 6.5 mm bullets.  It's similar in burn rate as H4895, Reloder 15, and Varget, all of which work great in both heavy bullet 223s and 308s.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#26 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

Yep, TAC is too fast for heavy 6 and 6.5 mm bullets. It's similar in burn rate as H4895, Reloder 15, and Varget, all of which work great in both heavy bullet 223s and 308s.

What about with the 120 class projectiles?

#27 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

What about with the 120 class projectiles?

No joy.  Ramshot's load manual doesn't list TAC for any bullet weight in either 6.5 Creed, 6.5X55, 260 Rem, or 6.5-284.  They do show it used in the 6.5 Grendel

#28 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

No joy.  Ramshot's load manual doesn't list TAC for any bullet weight in either 6.5 Creed, 6.5X55, 260 Rem, or 6.5-284.  They do show it used in the 6.5 Grendel

I checked their data before I asked the first question... I thought you might have some other info. I found some old threads floating around in the ether of Google of people using 110-120 grain bullets for their hunting rifles in 6.5. But it was all super anecdotal "my buddy uses it; I tried it one time; I got good accuracy with it when I tried it back in the day..."

But no real load data. No real bullet information. Nothing. 

I guess the Tac lives to see another day haha

#29 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:53 AM

I suggest you take a gander @ Reloader16. I have a gaymore aswell. The 140 gr loads I’ve ran have been with H4350 and R16 the 16 was 200fps faster. I know speed isn’t the game but damn my dope is so much easier at that speed. Been running the nosler RDF pills in Hornady brass btw. I’m not paying for lapua brass if I can help it

#30 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

16 or 26? I've been reading a lot about 26 giving phenomenal speed but not 16. I'll look into it, thanks. I figure if I can get that near 2900 number with the 147s and 4350 I bought, I will shoot that. Because that would be awfully sporty. Edit: running the numbers in strelok really quick, with the 147s at 2880 it would be 23.5 MOA to 1k, and only 59.14 to a mile.

#31 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

I also meant to post this picture. If you ignore the one way left... then this ain't a half bad group Posted Image

#32 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

The key to shooting excellent groups is throwing out the fliers. Call it best 3 out of 5, etc.

#33 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

I usually do 1” at 25yd freestyle with handguns.
But it’s Todd-style.

Best 5 out of 20.
  • ToddKS and Buck Turgidson like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#34 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

I also meant to post this picture. If you ignore the one way left... then this ain't a half bad group 0c0ac37e3914fe49b539d3ae33d3f0a8.jpg

Shows potential

#35 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

I checked their data before I asked the first question... I thought you might have some other info.

I've made some component substitutions that were not "load data sanctioned" but I think long and hard about what I am about to do.

One thing I won't do is use powders with significant difference in burn rate compared to the most popular ones for a given cartridge.

When you think about shooting a rifle as hydrostatic testing a pressure vessel at 60 KSI a few inches in front of your face, it tends to rein you in a bit.  And I forgot, that pressure vessel's "lid" is staring right at your mouth.

#36 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

The key to shooting excellent groups is throwing out the fliers. Call it best 3 out of 5, etc.

Well with a decent left to right wind, all it takes is one moment of no breeze to hit center and mess up the group. And it has nothing to do with the precision of the rifle.

AKA: fuck off

#37 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

That was actually a reference to a joke over on accurateshooter.com. I can't find the thread but someone put up screen caps of instructions from a manufacturer that stated the way to properly measure a group was to use the best 4 of 5.
  • GooldMember likes this

#38 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

16 or 26? I've been reading a lot about 26 giving phenomenal speed but not 16. I'll look into it, thanks.I figure if I can get that near 2900 number with the 147s and 4350 I bought, I will shoot that. Because that would be awfully sporty.Edit: running the numbers in strelok really quick, with the 147s at 2880 it would be 23.5 MOA to 1k, and only 59.14 to a mile.

I run a 24”. Keep in mind that pushing that heavy of a bullet that fast will be throat torch on your barrel. About every 1800 rounds you will be cutting off some barrel and rechambering, and 2900 is an awfully big number to be trying to reach with 4350.

#39 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

TUBB TMS is your friend

#40 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

That was actually a reference to a joke over on accurateshooter.com. I can't find the thread but someone put up screen caps of instructions from a manufacturer that stated the way to properly measure a group was to use the best 4 of 5.

Ah, well in that case carry on. I did read something on accurateshooter about always just covering your fliers with a dime or something haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users