#41 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

Read a blog where the guy scientifically tests all the gear for prs
He tested brakes and supressors and foumd the BEST one for limiting muzzle movement was the jP tank brake
But then said no one uses it because it's like wearing a Fanny pack.
I don't get it. If it works the BEST- why not use it? Not cool enough. Every sport or hobby has its gear snobs and those that don't fit in. I'm the latter. :)
4ng5Zls.jpg

I also put lead weights in the stock.

Gun weighs like 14 lbs.

It WAS the best brake like 5-10 years ago, not even close anymore. I had one on my 3 gun rifle, and my long range rifle. 

#42 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,287 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

It WAS the best brake like 5-10 years ago, not even close anymore. I had one on my 3 gun rifle, and my long range rifle. 

Based on the objective, empirical testing I have seen, it still outperforms pretty much everything out there.  Do you have testing of your own to refute that?

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#43 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Based on the objective, empirical testing I have seen, it still outperforms pretty much everything out there.  Do you have testing of your own to refute that?

Just real world use, the difference in not having the cross hair move off the target, and target nearly leaving the field of view.
Same rifle, same load, same distance, same shooter. Different day.

#44 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Just real world use, the difference in not having the cross hair move off the target, and target nearly leaving the field of view.
Same rifle, same load, same distance, same shooter. Different day.

Well then what do you recommend? Not a rifle guy, but I am genuinely curious.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#45 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

The BEAST brake, is the best (I've shot) larger caliber - above .223/5.56 , for long range rifles.

Will take a 300 win mag down to about the same recoil as a standard AR15.

I'll try and remember to get the video from him showing the recoil on his 300.

#46 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,287 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:46 AM

Subjective opinions based on what you see/feel are fine but I still believe empirical testing over opinions

Another test, skip to 14:28 for the winner:

There's more to effective muzzle brakes than the 3 or 4 that are popular with the PRS cool kids

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#47 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:29 AM

Subjective opinions based on what you see/feel are fine but I still believe empirical testing over opinions

http://youtu.be/0qDf6Xf0rR4

There's more to effective muzzle brakes than the 3 or 4 that are popular with the PRS cool kids

I don’t understand why all these people want to shoot large calibers, rifle and pistol both, and then cry about the fucking recoil. In prs I’m seeing more and more 6mm stuff just because of less recoil. There was a guy this past Saturday shooting what looked to be a 6PPC case with an 80 grain .224 bullet in it. The fucking thing was sweet as shit, but all that effort because you can’t handle the gun bucking up at you? Give me a break. Be a fucking man and deal with it
  • Sad Sack likes this

#48 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

I don’t understand why all these people want to shoot large calibers, rifle and pistol both, and then cry about the fucking recoil. In prs I’m seeing more and more 6mm stuff just because of less recoil. There was a guy this past Saturday shooting what looked to be a 6PPC case with an 80 grain .224 bullet in it. The fucking thing was sweet as shit, but all that effort because you can’t handle the gun bucking up at you? Give me a break. Be a fucking man and deal with it

It isn't the ability to handle the gun, the softer shooting calibers make calling misses much easier. 

If you are having to recover from recoil, you aren't seeing whats happening downrange. 

You're either moving forward or you're moving backward. "Maintenance" is a cute way of describing slow, almost unnoticeable regression.

#49 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,287 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

As has been said, it's ALL about spotting your own hits/misses.

I'm no recoil pussy but I ended up braking my 12 lb 308 match rifle because any tiny mistake in recoil control made it impossible to spot my own misses. 

I screwed a VG6 Gamma 762 brake on it and it transformed the rifle

#50 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

While not a terrible test, still human input on the trigger pull, and no muzzle rise test.

#51 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:54 PM

No offense but that is about the dumbest thing a competition shooter could say .

So you're shooting a .500 S&W in competition correct?

#52 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

While not a terrible test, still human input on the trigger pull, and no muzzle rise test.

Agreed. How flat an AR shoots is far more important to a competitive shooter than how much it reduces recoil.

To all other shooters, the reverse is true. I roll my eyes at the new PCC dudes focused entirely on making their gun shoot softer.
  • toothandnail likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#53 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,287 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:19 AM

Agreed. How flat an AR shoots is far more important to a competitive shooter than how much it reduces recoil.

Depends on the competition.  In PRS-style shooting, I'd say recoil reduction is as important or slightly more than mitigating muzzle rise.

#54 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:12 AM

So you're shooting a .500 S&W in competition correct?[/quote]
If there was a division for it and it appealed to me sure.

#55 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

...because you can’t handle the gun bucking up at you? Give me a break. Be a fucking man and deal with it

Maybe they should start Airsoft precision rifle.  Think of the millennial fags it would attract.

No one likes me, and I don't care.

#56 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,287 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

Maybe they should start Airsoft precision rifle.  Think of the millennial fags it would attract.

Already done

In all fairness to this Novritsch character, his bio says he's a legit sniper in the Austrian Army.  Evidently PRS hasn't made it to Austria yet.

• Stranger Danger likes this

#57 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

Do any of you know about doing this 10 round load development thing but the 6.5 guys talk about? Because I tried it.

These are my results, measured with a magnetospeed:
41.0 2723
41.2 2726 
41.4 2731 
41.6 2769 
41.8 2737
42.0 2779 
42.2 2767 
42.4 2795 
42.6 2816 
42.8 2820 
43.0 2827

I am thinking I will load 5 or 10 Rounds between 41.0 up to 41.4, and the same thing at 42.6 up to 43.2 maybe. What do you think?

#58 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:35 PM

The theory is that you load to the middle of the flat spot in the velocity data and then tune with seating depth as I understand it.

#59 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:38 PM

The theory is that you load to the middle of the flat spot in the velocity data and then tune with seating depth as I understand it.

That is my understanding as well. That's why I was thinking load across the two nodes I think I see, and see if there is a definite middle to them. Then load 5 or so at the middle to check for SD/accuracy

#60 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

That is my understanding as well. That's why I was thinking load across the two nodes I think I see, and see if there is a definite middle to them. Then load 5 or so at the middle to check for SD/accuracy

All you want is for every round to be the exact same speed. And unless you are loading your ammo in a lab environment with lab equipment, your desire will be found just as you start to compress powder. Get an extreme spread of about 5 then mess with the seating depth
  • GooldMember likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users