76 replies to this topic

#61 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:39 AM

Shot the long range match in Bend yesterday. Start at 1200, then shoot at 1380, 1600, and 1650. 3 rounds at each distance. Ended up with 1 hit each at 12, 16, and 1650.

Then the midrange match began, which was from 400 yards to 1140 yards. Some reactive targets, multiple targets in one spot, shooting at the same time as another person as "a team" (scoring was individual, but you had to shoot together). I ended up mid pack I think, with 23 hits out if 46

It was awesome.
  • Stubb and Stranger Danger like this

#62 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:09 PM

So what happened @1380 no impact with three tries?

#63 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

So what happened @1380 no impact with three tries?

I think the SD of the factory ammo wasn't helping my case, but mostly I think it was wind. I'm still learning how to judge wind, the first shot went way high then the next two were off a little bit on either side if I remember right.

It is interesting to me that ammo can shoot about .4 MOA but still have an SD of like 33 and ES of 80 something.

#64 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

That’s fine for shooting 100 yards, but what the Moa with that ammo @ 500?
  • Buck Turgidson likes this

#65 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

That’s fine for shooting 100 yards, but what the Moa with that ammo @ 500?

Well exactly, with that high of an SD it is going to cause several inches of vertical stringing at 500 yards, and even more at the longer ranges. So I am looking forward to starting to load for this thing seriously, I already have all my components I am just working on the development now (as seen above).

If I could get similar accuracy and velocity but get my SD down from 33 to <10, that would be awesome. 

#66 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

A little statistics pro tip: standard deviation is not your problem, extreme spread is.

Fix your extreme spread (which is what really reflects what the bullet will do) and SD will take care of itself.

Amateurs talk about elevation/drop and SD

Pros worry about wind and ES

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#67 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

OBTW, I did my first PRS club match yesterday.

I didn't embarrass myself and even cleaned one stage.  This club scores them like USPSA, waiting to see scores posted.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#68 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

It has an ES of over 80. Yet again, if I can get that down by handloading that would be a huge help for the long range stuff.

That's awesome, I hope my club starts doing PRS style matches at some point. But for now I just need to learn to get my hits.

#69 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

It has an ES of over 80. Yet again, if I can get that down by handloading that would be a huge help for the long range stuff.

That's awesome, I hope my club starts doing PRS style matches at some point. But for now I just need to learn to get my hits.

yes it’s all about the points. Most stages have a par time so going fast has no reward. A top quality sizing die will help you more than you can imagine

#70 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

A top quality sizing die will help you more than you can imagine

Forster is all I use for sizing and seating dies.

#71 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

Forster is all I use for sizing and seating dies.

whidden or Redding bushing dies are worth the penny. Consistent neck tension is worth several inches in group size, but I shoot groups @500 that 100yd shit is for hunting guns

#72 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

I have a Hornady match grade bushing set. Full length bushing sizer and micrometer seater with stem contoured for the ELD. Once I get the chance to go out again I will have some more reloads with me to test, I'm quite interested to see what they look like on paper. 

#73 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

whidden or Redding bushing dies are worth the penny. Consistent neck tension is worth several inches in group size, but I shoot groups @500 that 100yd shit is for hunting guns

Forster non-bushing sizers and micrometer seaters provide extremely low runout and very consistent tension.  That said, I do want to get a Redding FL bushing sizer to play with.  I might be able to fine tune the load more by changing what the press fit is between bullet and neck.

#74 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

Forster non-bushing sizers and micrometer seaters provide extremely low runout and very consistent tension. That said, I do want to get a Redding FL bushing sizer to play with. I might be able to fine tune the load more by changing what the press fit is between bullet and neck.

it sucks having to buy multiple bushing, but the Results are amazing. You can tell the difference when seating the bullets. Everyone has the same amount of resistance going in. I found it more cost effective to spend more on dies rather than on lapua brass that I’m going to loose most of. I’ve figured out how to make that junky ass hornady brass live for 5 firings. The shit is so cheap I just trash it. Not worth the effort to anneal it

#75 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

I have a bunch of Winchester virgin and once fired brass prepped and ready to go work up a decent load once my Lapua brass dies. 

The thing of it is, Lapua brass will go on forever even without annealing.

#76 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

I have a bunch of Winchester virgin and once fired brass prepped and ready to go work up a decent load once my Lapua brass dies.

The thing of it is, Lapua brass will go on forever even without annealing.

maybe you have a different lot number than I’ve tried. After about six firings with no annealing the neck gets so brittle it splits. That’s just what it’s done with me

#77 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

I have three lots on seven reloads without annealing and still going.  Lapua, I mean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users