#22 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

The meme isn't wrong, to be fair.

Oh definitely not wrong, I just would like to see some new material. 

#23 Tarrou

Tarrou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

In the beginning though, work on the basics. Lots of transitions. Lots of reloads. Lots of shooting things in the middle. I wouldn't stress too much about working on your draw, since every single drill will have one. Be honest with what you are seeing in the sights. Be honest in your trigger pull. Lots of people can do a 4.0 El Prez in dryfire, yet very few can do that in live fire. This, simply put, is because they lie to themselves during dry fire. Don't be that person. Accept that you are gonna suck at the beginning, and just work at it to suck less.

Thanks, this is helpful. I've noticed that my live fire stuff is a few tenths slower than my dry fire. I've only shot El Prez a couple times, and I'm over five seconds on it, nothing is smooth there, lots of room for improvement. Accuracy isn't my weak point right now, it may be at some point in the future, but not yet. Splits are slow, if I wait to see my sights, they're in the .35-.40 range. So yeah, I suck plenty right now. Not worried about it, just need to shave that stuff down. Next match is this weekend, goal for now is no mikes and don't bobble the reloads. 

#24 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, this is helpful. I've noticed that my live fire stuff is a few tenths slower than my dry fire. I've only shot El Prez a couple times, and I'm over five seconds on it, nothing is smooth there, lots of room for improvement.

Accuracy isn't my weak point right now, it may be at some point in the future, but not yet. Splits are slow, if I wait to see my sights, they're in the .35-.40 range. So yeah, I suck plenty right now. Not worried about it, just need to shave that stuff down. Next match is this weekend, goal for now is no mikes and don't bobble the reloads. 

I just threw out 4.0 because that is what is in some of the dryfire books out there as a goal time (Ben's? Pretty sure it is that in the Anderson book I have). It doesn't matter what your time is now, just that you know it. Then you have something to compare to. 

Know when you need to see the front sight, when you need to see sights at all, and when fuzzy black on brown is good enough. When you are working in dryfire you should err on the side of seeing everything. It is always easier to aim less (especially in a match), not so easy to aim more.

#25 Beef

Beef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Be honest with what you are seeing in the sights. Be honest in your trigger pull. Lots of people can do a 4.0 El Prez in dryfire, yet very few can do that in live fire. This, simply put, is because they lie to themselves during dry fire. Don't be that person. Accept that you are gonna suck at the beginning, and just work at it to suck less. 

So much this. 

I didn't know how bad I was deceiving myself in DF 'til I tried the same drills with an optic.

#26 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

So much this. 

I didn't know how bad I was deceiving myself in DF 'til I tried the same drills with an optic.

That's because optics are the best instructors

#27 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

I've only shot El Prez a couple times, and I'm over five seconds on it

Splits are slow, if I wait to see my sights, they're in the .35-.40 range.

Repeat after me: Splits. Don’t. Matter.

You’re almost certainly giving away over a second in the transitions. Focus on those. It’s EASY to improve.

Set up 3 targets on the wall. Paper plates or post it notes are fine for now.

These are .33 splits:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=kafMsiaGQ7Y

Dryfire along with it. Pull the trigger six times at that speed and work your way across at that cadence INCLUDING the movement from target to target.

.30ish splits and .30 transitions will give you much better hits than what you’d learn to do otherwise: the .15 splits with .60 transitions most new guys attempt early on while racking up the mikes.

Anyone with a little bit of speed (High B class and above) is going to make 3 open targets sound like they are firing six rounds into one target.

Learn to do it early on.
  • chachacha, Buck Turgidson, ralloway and 1 other like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#28 Tarrou

Tarrou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, I have a long way to go on transitions. Right now they're just under a second. 

#29 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Practice food court overwatch

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#30 Tarrou

Tarrou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

Practice food court overwatch

I tried, I kept caving and hitting up the Panda Express. Now I'm out of practice and out of shape. And I want Lo Mein. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users