Lots to talk about from this past weekends match, as usual, I got to shoot with a bunch of excellent production shooters and continue to learn from them.
Things I am improving on:
· First stage performance – I have always felt slow out of the gates, often having poor performances on first stages. Could be a missed draw, bad reloads or just slow shooting. I managed to make my first stage of this match one of my better ones.
· Footspeed – Reviewing video I see that I am becoming more explosive on entry and exits, this bites me quite a few times though and will be covered later.
· Confidence/shot calling – I felt confident in this match, each makeup shot except for one on a swinger was a makeup shot I needed and I felt like I was really seeing my front sight throughout the day.
· Reloads – They still suck, but they are getting better.
· Being lower – I still tend to stand tall, but seem to be getting lower to the ground.
· Head movement – I think my head movement on the draw has been reduced, will continue to focus on this in practice.
· Steel - I felt confident in my steel shooting, it was always a very slow spot for me but as I focus on burying the front sight in white…it is getting better.
Things to work on:
· Reloads – still lots of poor reloads, even managed to strip a round out of the mag on the classifier.
· Breathing – I still take a huge breath off the draw.
· Footwork – I am finding that I am exploding into/out of positions, which is great…but multiple times at this match I came into positions way too hard leading to me being off balance or overstepping fault lines.
· Weird draws – Drew into the classifier with a bad grip and kept it for the duration leading to terrible hits and a makeup shot.