27 replies to this topic

#21 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

Lots to talk about from this past weekends match, as usual, I got to shoot with a bunch of excellent production shooters and continue to learn from them.

Things I am improving on:

·     First stage performance – I have always felt slow out of the gates, often having poor performances on first stages. Could be a missed draw, bad reloads or just slow shooting. I managed to make my first stage of this match one of my better ones. 

·     Footspeed – Reviewing video I see that I am becoming more explosive on entry and exits, this bites me quite a few times though and will be covered later.

·     Confidence/shot calling – I felt confident in this match, each makeup shot except for one on a swinger was a makeup shot I needed and I felt like I was really seeing my front sight throughout the day.

·     Reloads – They still suck, but they are getting better.

·     Being lower – I still tend to stand tall, but seem to be getting lower to the ground.

·     Head movement – I think my head movement on the draw has been reduced, will continue to focus on this in practice.

·     Steel - I felt confident in my steel shooting, it was always a very slow spot for me but as I focus on burying the front sight in white…it is getting better.

Things to work on:

·     Reloads – still lots of poor reloads, even managed to strip a round out of the mag on the classifier.

·     Breathing – I still take a huge breath off the draw. 

·     Footwork – I am finding that I am exploding into/out of positions, which is great…but multiple times at this match I came into positions way too hard leading to me being off balance or overstepping fault lines.

·     Weird draws – Drew into the classifier with a bad grip and kept it for the duration leading to terrible hits and a makeup shot.

You're either moving forward or you're moving backward. "Maintenance" is a cute way of describing slow, almost unnoticeable regression.

#22 Stubb

Stubb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

Looks like your grip comes and goes across the match. I'm seeing a fair amount of variation on how much the front of the gun is lifting in recoil.

On footwork, look at not just avoiding overrunning positions but also coming to rest in a solid shooting stance that lets you shoot crisply and exit efficiently.

Transitions look super fast. How's the gun settling when you get to the next target?

#23 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

What jumped out at me was your positioning + footwork.

You occasionally end up in a spot that requires you to shuffle or hunt for a target.

I think the cure is in walk thru by finding very specific stage markers and burn it in via your visualization. There will almost always be a position from which you can see the desired targets or a point at which you can shoot your way into position.

There is also the overrunning positions, which is related. All your acceleration and deceleration gets visualized as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#24 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

Looks like your grip comes and goes across the match. I'm seeing a fair amount of variation on how much the front of the gun is lifting in recoil.

On footwork, look at not just avoiding overrunning positions but also coming to rest in a solid shooting stance that lets you shoot crisply and exit efficiently.

Transitions look super fast. How's the gun settling when you get to the next target?

I didn't notice the grip, but I do still find my self struggling to always crush the gun with my left hand like I need to be doing.

That is a good way to look at footwork, you can see here how I almost fall over (causing me to miss the activator on my first shot) because of a not solid position.

L8rgJ4.gif

Gun seems to be settling well, I practice a lot of wide transitions to small targets both in live and dry fire. That was a struggle after first switching to the S2 as I found its weight was causing lots of overswings...but I think I am learning to control it much better now. 

You're either moving forward or you're moving backward. "Maintenance" is a cute way of describing slow, almost unnoticeable regression.

#25 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

What jumped out at me was your positioning + footwork.

You occasionally end up in a spot that requires you to shuffle or hunt for a target.

I think the cure is in walk thru by finding very specific stage markers and burn it in via your visualization. There will almost always be a position from which you can see the desired targets or a point at which you can shoot your way into position.

There is also the overrunning positions, which is related. All your acceleration and deceleration gets visualized as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I will work on doing that, I think visualizing specific stopping points will probably help with overrunning positions too. 

#26 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

The second stage? You haul ass all the way to the right rear position, stop too hard and late, then get on the sights. Some short shuffle steps further out to begin braking would have gotten your first round off earlier.

Livefire or dyfire, rolling smoothly into that kind of situation is a great thing to practice. Think about always setting up to shoot the first target as smoothly and early as possible, not about getting to the corner more quickly.

You don’t know exactly when to begin braking yet; sometimes you over-run and sometimes you get it pretty right. So do it until it’s a well practiced situation.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#27 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

The second stage? You haul ass all the way to the right rear position, stop too hard and late, then get on the sights. Some short shuffle steps further out to begin braking would have gotten your first round off earlier.

Livefire or dyfire, rolling smoothly into that kind of situation is a great thing to practice. Think about always setting up to shoot the first target as smoothly and early as possible, not about getting to the corner more quickly.

You don’t know exactly when to begin braking yet; sometimes you over-run and sometimes you get it pretty right. So do it until it’s a well practiced situation.

Yeah that position in stage 2 especially stood out to me, I took FOREVER to set up on what were essentially point blank shots.

#28 gentleman4561

gentleman4561

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

No updates in quite some time.

I tore my patellar tendon wake surfing 6 or so weeks ago.

Focused pretty hard on stand and shoot stuff for the weeks following the injury, but that generally just frustrated me.

I've been fishing a lot and haven't touched my gun in over a week, and don't really mind it. I am not going to force myself to shoot/dry-fire, so I guess we shall see when the desire comes back.

I imagine it will be mid-October when I expect my knee to be back to 100% condition and match ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users