12 replies to this topic

#1 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

This is the first time I am doing this, probably should have a year ago.  This is a practice I did on 7/4, hot and humid as hell.  First group is a 7 yard el pres, the second drill is a 10 yard blake.

I will accept constructive as well as destructive criticism, it can't hurt.

Thanks all

https://youtu.be/ZbC5tMkGXc0

• DanielKr, el.kuglov1953 and Clife like this

#2 GuruOfGuns

GuruOfGuns

I was there SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Locationhorizontal unless I can get help

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:20 PM

You are waiting until the beep finishes before reacting to it, try to react at the bee part instead of beeeppp......... and then moving. It ain't 1979 El Prez is done at 10 yds now, you shouldn't practice much if at all at 7 too easy to get away with sloppy. You got better at times but when you reload sometimes you really drop the gun down low, try to keep it up high and bring it in to an anchor point that is repeatable, also work on getting your weak hand off the grip and going for the mag sooner.  

Hard to describe and analyze but you seem a little wobbly, it may be those pjamas your wearing but maybe try getting your feet a little more apart. Follow thru, leave the gun up on the target get a second sight picture, after shooting the last round in a string don't be in a hurry to bring the gun down, stay on the sight and leave it up there long enough to have fired again which teaches follow thru.

On the el prez it looked like you were out of breath, looked like you held it as long as you could, take in some air before the beep so your brain don't fade out from lack of oxygen during the string, air is important.

"I'm older and fatter than any of you dipshits."

#3 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

• I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this, so bear with me, but... You just don't look comfortable with your gun. I never thought about it until they talked about it on a PPS episode, but there's visual cues when a guy practices a lot and is beyond familiar with his gun. 
  • El Prez: whip around and get your legs stable. You seem to meander to the first target, and then wobble with the transitions to 2 and 3. 
  • Not sure if you're aiming once and firing twice, or your transitions just need work, or both... but it's a major case of "BAM BAM *pause* BAM BAM *pause* BAM BAM". Try spending some more time on the Blake Drill. 
  • You reload the gun in a different position damn near every time. 
  • Move your hands faster during the reload.
  • It appears you come too far off the trigger between shots. 
  • Build your grip WAY sooner. Your weakhand shouldn't be hanging out like a dead fish during the draw, it should be moving over to build your grip coming out of the holster. 

• ralloway likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#4 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

You are waiting until the beep finishes before reacting to it, try to react at the bee part instead of beeeppp......... and then moving. It ain't 1979 El Prez is done at 10 yds now, you shouldn't practice much if at all at 7 too easy to get away with sloppy. You got better at times but when you reload sometimes you really drop the gun down low, try to keep it up high and bring it in to an anchor point that is repeatable, also work on getting your weak hand off the grip and going for the mag sooner.

Hard to describe and analyze but you seem a little wobbly, it may be those pjamas your wearing but maybe try getting your feet a little more apart. Follow thru, leave the gun up on the target get a second sight picture, after shooting the last round in a string don't be in a hurry to bring the gun down, stay on the sight and leave it up there long enough to have fired again which teaches follow thru.

On the el prez it looked like you were out of breath, looked like you held it as long as you could, take in some air before the beep so your brain don't fade out from lack of oxygen during the string, air is important.

Thanks Guru.....I am normally better reacting to the beep, but that morning I just couldn't tune into it.
As for wobbly, I agree. I don't practice El prez ever but I am from now on just to get better at the turn and draw. My foot placement blows.
Really like the follow through idea. That will be implemented immediately!
More air....copy that lol.

👍👍

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#5 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:44 AM

• I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this, so bear with me, but... You just don't look comfortable with your gun. I never thought about it until they talked about it on a PPS episode, but there's visual cues when a guy practices a lot and is beyond familiar with his gun.
  • El Prez: whip around and get your legs stable. You seem to meander to the first target, and then wobble with the transitions to 2 and 3.
  • Not sure if you're aiming once and firing twice, or your transitions just need work, or both... but it's a major case of "BAM BAM *pause* BAM BAM *pause* BAM BAM". Try spending some more time on the Blake Drill.
  • You reload the gun in a different position damn near every time.
  • Move your hands faster during the reload.
  • It appears you come too far off the trigger between shots.
  • Build your grip WAY sooner. Your weakhand shouldn't be hanging out like a dead fish during the draw, it should be moving over to build your grip coming out of the holster.

Sliv

Thanks for the comments. I have been shooting the Shadow 2 since last fall, moving from a Beretta 92. My main crime is that I don't dry fire. I do live fire practice at least twice a week, with about 2 matches a month tossed in. Need more dry fire.

More agressive turn....wider stance = more stable. Check

I am aiming twice, but I will intermittently pull the trigger before the sights have settled when trying to go faster than my skills allow. How do I get past that?

Reload position----dryfire dammit

More agressive hand movements on draw and reload....more dry fire dammit (more is easy since I don't do any)

How do I work on how far I come off the trigger? Are you saying I am slapping it?

Build grip sooner....I saw that as well. Again, dryfire dammit. I have no excuses.

Thanks Sliv 👍👍

#6 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Sliv

Thanks for the comments. I have been shooting the Shadow 2 since last fall, moving from a Beretta 92. My main crime is that I don't dry fire. I do live fire practice at least twice a week, with about 2 matches a month tossed in. Need more dry fire.

More agressive turn....wider stance = more stable. Check

I am aiming twice, but I will intermittently pull the trigger before the sights have settled when trying to go faster than my skills allow. How do I get past that?

Reload position----dryfire dammit

More agressive hand movements on draw and reload....more dry fire dammit (more is easy since I don't do any)

How do I work on how far I come off the trigger? Are you saying I am slapping it?

Build grip sooner....I saw that as well. Again, dryfire dammit. I have no excuses.

Thanks Sliv

Dry fire is definitely your friend. Embrace it; love it. 

Sounds like you should be shooting more Bill Drills and Ben's Doubles Drill at all of the various distances. Part of that may be grip issues too, but you can work on grip during dry fire. 

Definitely not saying you're slapping it because (1) "slapping" the trigger is not inherently a bad thing, despite its use as such amongst shooters; and (2) I simply don't know. If your hits are shit, then yeah, maybe you are "slapping" the trigger (meaning poor trigger presses). 

This was a recent revelation for me. But I realized I was both slow and less accurate thanks to coming way off the trigger and then slapping it back. I can speed up splits and be more precise in my trigger pull by being more "in tune" with the trigger, and letting off closer to the reset point. 

You can always work on it in live fire. Especially in things like Bill Drills. I also worked on it in dry fire with Bill Drills by paying attention to how much I let off the trigger. There may be better or additional approaches elsewhere, but that's how I've been working on it. 

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#7 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:58 AM

Your transitions are horrific. We need to hear bangbangbangbangbangbang when you run across three targets. Someone in the next bay over shouldn’t be able to hear the difference between 6 rounds into one target, and two rounds into 3 of them.

Your hands are slow on the draw and reload.

Fix those, then worry about anything else.

And you fix them in dryfire. You’re pissing away a lot of ammo and gas money driving to the range to live fire bad skills. Build good ones at home for free, and drop to one live fire a week.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#8 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

Your transitions are horrific. We need to hear bangbangbangbangbangbang when you run across three targets. Someone in the next bay over shouldn’t be able to hear the difference between 6 rounds into one target, and two rounds into 3 of them.

Your hands are slow on the draw and reload.

Fix those, then worry about anything else.

And you fix them in dryfire. You’re pissing away a lot of ammo and gas money driving to the range to live fire bad skills. Build good ones at home for free, and drop to one live fire a week.

"HORRIFIC".....LOL THANKS MEMPHIS. I know exactly what you mean by the cadence, but then I was watching a Rob Leatham video with him shooting El prez and his cadence was bang bang..bangbang..bangbang...WTH so much conflicting information

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:16 AM

I can get to a .18-.22 splits but my best transitions might be .24-.27. Any faster and I am out of control.

.20 split, .30 transition might be more a more accurate generalization but I am trying to go faster.
  • TCB and MEISTERB like this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#10 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Start position is wrong. Wrists above shoulders. It matters because you don't want to be rattled at a match when a stickler dickhead RO like me makes you do it right, so do it right in practice.

Snap your eyes to the target, your head will follow, then your body will follow.

Just to re-iterate, your transitions are weak sauce. Do a lot of runs on this with single shots per target. Try ludicrous speed, seeing how fast you can go keeping it on paper, then more in control ludicrous speed to get Alphas. Then go back to shooting pairs.

Seven yards is both eyes open, point-shooting range. Might as well move back to 10 and look for the front sight.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#11 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

.20 split, .30 transition might be more a more accurate generalization but I am trying to go faster.

This.

If the targets are shoulder to shoulder up close, then it should sound like 6 shots without interruption.

When they’re spaced a bit apart? Well yes you’ll have a .05-.10 pause to swing fhe gun. But nothing half as long as what you’re doing.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#12 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

This.

If the targets are shoulder to shoulder up close, then it should sound like 6 shots without interruption.

When they’re spaced a bit apart? Well yes you’ll have a .05-.10 pause to swing fhe gun. But nothing half as long as what you’re doing.

Copy that! Thanks to all of you for the help. I'll put in a month of dryfire and report back...

#13 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

You are waiting until the beep finishes before reacting to it, try to react at the bee part instead of beeeppp......... and then moving. 

Forget that.  You aren't going to pull consistent sub 0.8's unless you start jumping the beep a little.

• GuanoLoco likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users