7 replies to this topic

#1 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

I was listening to a Podcast and the subject of routines came up and the amount of detail and discipline that goes into it, especially from professional athletes. The example given was Michael Phelps. Apparently the details are huge in how he prepares for a heat. How he sits, how he dresses, what he listens to on his iPod, where he got the iPod, etc...

I'm not really interested in the gay little dance you do before a stage run. I’m interested in what you do to prepare for a match as a whole. How do you start the day? Do you have a special Match day breakfast? Do you listen to a particular musician? Do you pack your own lunch? Whatever. No matter how minute, what do you do either consciously or subconscious that gets you into “Match Mode”. Also how much does it affect you if you miss something in the routine?

#2 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

The first step in my preparation is always gear. Clean the gun real well then shoot a few rounds to spread the oil around. Double check I have my rig, mags, ammo, eye/ear pro. That is all the night before.

Also that night I eat what would be considered a sensible meal. Something "healthy" without too much fat. Anything to avoid multiple trips to the portapotty.

Morning of I wake up early enough to sit and drink a cup of coffee without feeling rushed. Eat my normal breakfast(Raisin Bran or pumpkin pie oatmeal). Triple check all my gear.

Depending on the level of match or how long the drive is a usually do some walking and stretching to get the day started. Little bit of dry fire. Repack my gear and quadruple check I have everything.

I do some vision drills before I leave. While I drive I focus on posture, breathing, and more vision drills. Helps me not get to excited thinking about the match. I like to leave early enough to be very early.

I'm pre diabetic and it took a long time for me to figure out what snacks and how often to eat. I bring more than I will need and WAY more water than I will need. I bring a 20oz Hydroflask of coffee.

I guess the big thing for me is once I get in the car I don't want to have any doubts that I am prepared. I usually feel like if I just show up prepared I can coast the rest of the day.
  • ralloway likes this

#3 Fishyjoe

Fishyjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

The first step in my preparation is always gear. Clean the gun real well then shoot a few rounds to spread the oil around. Double check I have my rig, mags, ammo, eye/ear pro. That is all the night before.

Also that night I eat what would be considered a sensible meal. Something "healthy" without too much fat. Anything to avoid multiple trips to the portapotty.

Morning of I wake up early enough to sit and drink a cup of coffee without feeling rushed. Eat my normal breakfast(Raisin Bran or pumpkin pie oatmeal). Triple check all my gear.

Depending on the level of match or how long the drive is a usually do some walking and stretching to get the day started. Little bit of dry fire. Repack my gear and quadruple check I have everything.

I do some vision drills before I leave. While I drive I focus on posture, breathing, and more vision drills. Helps me not get to excited thinking about the match. I like to leave early enough to be very early.

I'm pre diabetic and it took a long time for me to figure out what snacks and how often to eat. I bring more than I will need and WAY more water than I will need. I bring a 20oz Hydroflask of coffee.

I guess the big thing for me is once I get in the car I don't want to have any doubts that I am prepared. I usually feel like if I just show up prepared I can coast the rest of the day.

Are you obsessive about the routine like bordering on cupulsive? From what I gathering that most top level competitors have this in common.

#4 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

I’m almost as bad but I usually travel with a small crew to matches. So I have to check all their shit too. It’s not a compulsive deal at all. Some people were trained to be prepared for what they may encounter before they return to their compound

#5 Race taco's brother

Race taco's brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

It is not compulsive, but I always do it the same. There have been times when I have deviated and I regret it. So....

"You know, if you want to perform at the highest level, then you gotta, you know, prepare at the highest level." Tom Brady
  • Stranger Danger likes this

#6 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

Night before I make sure my truck is fueled up and I have a $20 bill or whatever for the match fee.

I inspect my gun and make sure it is properly lubed and I punch the barrel.  I'll lightly wipe the gun down but since I shoot a Glock I don't have to clean it.  I'll often do a little dry fire at the same time.

I case gauge and inspect every round I'm going to take.

I wipe down all my magazine and load them all to 10 rounds.

I double check my belt and mag pouches to ensure everything is tight, no loose screws, etc.

I check my range bag for the gear I'm going to take and I set it by the door, with gun bag, ammo, belt, etc.

I make sure my "uniform" is clean and I set it out. 

I make a lunch. Usually nuts a banana, something light.  Plenty of water.

I go to bed early.

I'll eat something light like a couple pieces of bacon.

I leave early enough to arrive at the match at least 1 hour ahead of time to check and take a look at the stages.

• Fishyjoe likes this
I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#7 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:38 AM

I feel like these guys would be severely inconvenienced if they ever travelled with you Beerbaron 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

"Ritual is another word for fear, manifested in a different way."

Now, that might be a little excessive, but I agree with the idea overall. Do what you need to do to properly prepare, but I think setting up a ritual just adds an element to be arbitrarily upset about if you don't get to do it your way.

Don't have your match ammo ready? Sure, I'd be upset too.

Didn't have your oatmeal with exactly 9 raisins in it? Who gives a fuck. Go perform.
  • GuruOfGuns and GuanoLoco like this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users