18 replies to this topic

#1 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

I need some tips on movement drills. My results at the IPSC nationals show me many things, but a big low hanger right now is speed.  Transitions & splits are okay but between shooting positions and moving through positions are bad.

Other than Entry & Exit and shooting on the move, does anyone have a pet drill or drills they'd recommend?

On average, I was 2.7 seconds per stage behind Hopkins and 3.7 behind SweetT

#2 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Did you grow up playing sports? 

#3 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

Why yes I did.

#4 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

I only ask this because people who didn't tend to not understand how to be aggressive or even understand correct footwork.

A good tracking method is working box to box movement. Something like times 2 is really good classifier to track for movement. Running it both left and right, Teaches how to preload and leave hard with a more than average entry. T

From there I would work on entry on different types of targets. I like working harder partials and small steel in practice to up the difficultly even though more than often you will have wide open targets to shoot into for most stages. Same goes for exists. Just work the same drill in reverse for ease of set up. I like to  set up new array types each session to avoid working the same type of movement. You need to be able to move and enter/exit hard on any target array types. Movement doesn't need to be huge. I could get more detailed depending on division as that will change how aggressive you can/want to get with movement.

Track first reps to get a good sense if your baseline is improving or not. Anyone can run the same drill 10 times in a row and see improvements. Its all about that first rep. Just like on match day.

• pinkad likes this

#5 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Max. I had planned on something similar tonight with vision barriers as well. 

I'm shooting production but overall should be nearly as aggressive as Limited shooters.

#6 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Max. I had planned on something similar tonight with vision barriers as well. 

I'm shooting production but overall should be nearly as aggressive as Limited shooters.

I would disagree. You dont have the luxury of tossing points like in limited.

You really need to get down 1 and 2 step loads. Lots of time and footwork can be wasted from a slightly botched load.

You dont need to be sprinting through stages but you need to be confident in your movement.

One thing I picked up from Shooting with Alex Gutt locally is how early his gun is up before getting into a position. That is very key to quick entries. People often think they have the gun up but when reviewing video its often 1-2 steps too late.

#7 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

1. Do you have match video?

2. Max covered the important elements. I'll add that most people don't actually haul ass when it's time to do so, and that's a crazy easy place to shave time. Do a sprint between positions in practice and figure out the time. Then pick up your gun and close that distance in the same time.
  • maximis228 likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#8 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

1. Do you have match video?

2. Max covered the important elements. I'll add that most people don't actually haul ass when it's time to do so, and that's a crazy easy place to shave time. Do a sprint between positions in practice and figure out the time. Then pick up your gun and close that distance in the same time.

Big sprints of more than 8-10 steps dont happen that often (Great news for a fat fuck like myself), but I do agree. People dont run like their life depends on it.

+1000 for match video.

#9 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

I'm truly garbage at movement but depending on how good you currently are I can certainly echo the fact that most people don't actually run as quickly as they can between positions. Free time to pick up.

#10 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

I don’t have IPSC video, should have asked someone but didn’t.

Most likely hesitant in and out of position. One stage (16) I was 4 seconds off the pace and all I can account for is slow between positions.

Other videos are posted in my range diary. I’ll focus on explosive movement tonight in live for for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Im not good. But I am a 350 LB open shooter who made GM without classes or books. I also helped 1 guy make GM in open and other make GM in production (Much less help for him).

Im normally within 8-10 seconds or less of total time of the top open guys at majors. People overthink this stuff. Move when you need to move, and fast. See what you need to see when shooting. I thought it was shitty advice when I started but I see how correct it is now.

• racetaco and DazhiZ like this

#12 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

I don’t have IPSC video, should have asked someone but didn’t.

Most likely hesitant in and out of position. One stage (16) I was 4 seconds off the pace and all I can account for is slow between positions.

Other videos are posted in my range diary. I’ll focus on explosive movement tonight in live for for sure.

Hesitation is a shooting problem, not a movement problem. Work on shooting tough shots and then booking out of position. It should help a bit.

• TCB likes this

#13 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

Im not good. But I am a 350 LB open shooter who made GM without classes or books. I also helped 1 guy make GM in open and other make GM in production (Much less help for him).

Im normally within 8-10 seconds or less of total time of the top open guys at majors. People overthink this stuff. Move when you need to move, and fast. See what you need to see when shooting. I thought it was shitty advice when I started but I see how correct it is now.

Why is it that almost every time I see a giant of an Open Shooter that the giant is ALSO fast as hell, including the trigger finger.  This seems counter-intuitive.

• maximis228 likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#14 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

It's always entertaining at least. The big old guys can move way faster than the skinny rookies.

#15 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Im guaranteed to be the biggest dude on the range at most matches. Very few can rival my size.

I also played some lame ass D3 ball. All those years as a pulling guard help out now.

#16 CheesyD

CheesyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

Some shitty movements but practice none to the less.

#17 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

I'd highly suggest these drills:

These are timeless and still used today. Our sport is heavy with "stop/start", this will be very helpful. Second thing I recommend is jump rope, there is a reason why this exercise is the primary cardio used by boxers.

I'd do the ladder drills about once a week and the jump rope can be done 2 or 3 times a week.

#18 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Try to get some match video up here. Also work on pre loading your leading leg for leaving a box when standing upright Vs the drop step/split step/side step you are doing now. That is only needed when you are leaning hard ive found. You should be able to get out of position faster pre loading.

You stand up tall in every position. Your feet are too close and create a weak shooting position for you. Act like its a position you plan to leave from again like in a match.

#19 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

I'm much more athletic than average, but not any better at shooting movement than other A-M shooters. I have made big strides lately tho, partly (perhaps entirely) because I started doing more movement in dryfire. Right now every 3rd day is strictly movement, mostly back and forth about 10' doing 6-reload-6 type drills. This has helped me just get used to the idea of leaving earlier and shooting earlier on entry. I track the times and spend about half the time just trying to push the par times while still calling shots, and another half doing more of a match mode where I only leave acceptable hits on targets. Then I mix in some partials and SHO/WHO at the end.

Personally I think leaving earlier and shooting earlier (and shooting on the move) is way more important than running fast. I shot a match yesterday limping around from a broken toe and 6 stitches suffered 6 days earlier on a dirtbike. Basically I could only shuffle, but it didn't really cost me more than a second or two the whole match. What it DID do was make me focus on shooting earlier to minimize the non-shooting time since I was moving so slow). Ended up doing at least as well as normal.

• Part Of Me and racetaco like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users