25 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

Looking for the doodie opinion on yelling at people who do stupid shit at the range.....ooooh maybe something like carrying around a gun with a mag in it and sweeping everybody in the range with it.

Long story short I called an idiot to the carpet pretty harshly for waving a loaded(?) gun around telling him verbatim “don’t bring that gun out of that bay, especially with a mag in it!” He then has the gall to tell me there wasn’t a round in the chamber and act indignant at me, like I’m the fuckin problem in this situation, to which I reply “how would YOU react if you had a gun pointed at you and had no idea whether it was loaded or not?”

He violates every fuckin rule of gun safety and then has the nerve to act like he’s not going to eventually end up cappin someone by mistake cause no one slapped his hand and said “don’t fuckin do that, moron”

Should I have brow beat this idiot right as I saw it or let the RSOs handle it after the fact like a snitch?

Did I overreact? Could I have handled the situation with a little more diplomacy? Possibly, but I don’t let shit like that slide by and not call it as I see it, especially when my life may or may not be at stake.

People just don’t fuckin get it man. A gun is not a fuckin toy, it’s a deadly weapon. Wtf is so goddamn hard about treating it like one.

Although I’m probably preaching to the choir, there’s probably some great stories on doodie about morons at shooting ranges.
  • ralloway likes this

#2 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

If this isnt a match, I dont care. This is every fudd club ever.

• Mistadobalina, GuruOfGuns and Sarnburg like this

#3 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

Point a loaded gun at him and ask him to guess if it's loaded or not.

• slemmo, Nimrod, Doc and 1 other like this

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#4 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:15 PM

Get him DQ’d from the match and file a complaint with the range.

My range board of directors (disclosure: I am on the board) would write him up then bring him in front of disciplinary committee for a non-member ban, or member suspension/expulsion pronto.

If no one thinks it’s a problem, then you need to find a new place to shoot.

Problem solved.
  • Doc likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#5 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

Was this at a match, or just some local stand and shoot club?

#6 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

I'm pretty fortunate in a sense that with the way our bays are laid out, I seldom have to share a bay or see random asshattery going on... that's not to say it doesn't go on at my club, as evidenced by the fact that the plate racks have been taken down for repair... again..., but just that I am not exposed to it when I go shoot.

#7 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

Get him DQ’d from the match and file a complaint with the range.

My range board of directors (disclosure: I am on the board) would write him up then bring him in front of disciplinary committee for a non-member ban, or member suspension/expulsion pronto.

If no one thinks it’s a problem, then you need to find a new place to shoot.

Problem solved.

Competent range boards are an extremely rare thing.

• TCB likes this

#8 Doc

Doc

Google ( o Y o ) SME

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

I'm with Guano on this one. I'm also on the board for my club. We take this shit seriously and sanction and ban people for being stupid.

I never let sloppy gun handling slide. Ever. I correct it on the spot.

It doesn't matter if I'm at a match, my range, someone else's range, hunting, plinking in the field or in a gun store.

I call it out. Every fucking time.

If they get indignant about it or say it's no big deal, I escalate.

We have enough enemies without people acting like douche bags when they are handling a gun. The anti-gun opposition LIVES for instances of us fucking up.

• waktasz, Perfecto and racetaco like this
Unload and Show Clear...
tsarbombaexplos2.jpg
"Licorne" French Polynesia 1970

It pins my irony meter when people post things like "your to stupid..."

You brought a rifle to a handgun competition?

#9 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

Competent range boards are an extremely rare thing.

I’m not sure I’d go that far, but we/they do OK.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#10 LeadChucker

LeadChucker

CO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationHC, Utah

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

I don’t argue with idiots who point/sweep loaded guns at me. I pack up and leave ASAP. I will in fact report it to the RO/Range Nazi while departing.

I have never seen an issue at a match that did not result in a DQ.

#11 Mistadobalina

Mistadobalina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationLocation, Location

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

If this isnt a match, I dont care. This is every fudd club ever.

Unfortunately this is true. I screamed at a guy who uncased a pistol and pointed it a the back of another shooter while sitting at a picnic table behind the shooting line. Completely dressed the guy down, reported it to the board of the club, etc, etc.... 

No one seemed to think it was a big deal because it "wasn't loaded".

Most of us shoot a lot, and most of us shoot at matches where gun handling is better than 99.9% of the gun handling public. 

These idiots just don't know what they don't know and us spending so much time operating under match conditions are hyper-sensitive to it when they predictably fuck it up.

I'm with LeadChucker now - when I see fuckery afoot I just pack up my stuff and leave.

Mista Dobalina, Mista Bob Dobalina

Mista Bob Dobalina, won't you quit?

You really make me sick with ya fraudulent behavior
You're gonna make me flip and then an army couldn't save ya

#12 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

I'm with LeadChucker now - when I see fuckery afoot I just pack up my stuff and leave.

+1

I just don't need the aggravation that will come with assaulting someone when this shit inevitably escalates.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#13 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

As numerous others have mentioned, I don't really hold back much on this type of behavior. I can only hope that perhaps it makes any amount of impression on them (even if they get defensive and indignant on the spot) and causes them to think a little more about it in the future.

DEFINITELY a DQ if anywhere near any match that I administer or shoot.

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#14 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

This would get people tossed out of any of the 3 clubs I'm a member at. 

#15 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

+1

I just don't need the aggravation that will come with assaulting someone when this shit inevitably escalates.

Especially when they have an "unloaded" gun...right.

#16 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:22 AM

Especially when they have an "unloaded" gun...right.

Judging by how most fudds shoot I'd be safe

#17 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:33 AM

Their was a place near Huntsville Alabama, a WMA, that had like two huge multiple purpose bays and a huge corn field on the left.
Those huge bays were like pistol and then rifle and the corn field the red necks would shoot their shot guns.
First time I went there I seriously thought I was gonna see someone get shot.
I never went back, and I didn’t stay but a few minutes to begin with.
The shit you see at public use ranges is really unbelievable, it truly is “internet gold”....

#18 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

The shit you see at public use ranges is really unbelievable, it truly is “internet gold”....

I’ve definitely seen enough fail videos to know that WMA should be avoided like you would a cyphalitic hooker.

Catch phrase should be “come for the free parking, stay for the sucking chest wound”
  • BettieWhite likes this

#19 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Their was a place near Huntsville Alabama, a WMA, that had like two huge multiple purpose bays and a huge corn field on the left.
Those huge bays were like pistol and then rifle and the corn field the red necks would shoot their shot guns.

It's still basically, exactly the same...

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#20 Bounce

Bounce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

I don’t argue with idiots who point/sweep loaded guns at me. I pack up and leave ASAP. I will in fact report it to the RO/Range Nazi while departing.

I have never seen an issue at a match that did not result in a DQ.

I'm not going to argue with someone holding a gun of which don't know the load status. 

I've solved that problem by following two practices:  1)  I never go onto/into a range that is being used; and 2)  whenever someone comes onto a range I'm using, I simply pack up and leave.

This has always been workable at my home club because I don't go shoot on evenings or weekends, unless I'm shooting skeet or trap with a group, or competing.

My club is an NRA/CMP afilliate, so after I retired, even though I hold oodles of LE related instructor courses, and actually ran our state academy's firearms program for a while, I spent my own cash and went to the NRA civilian RSO, rifle, pistol, and shotgun courses.  I very tactfully kept my yap shut during the courses and became certified.

When I got back home I went to a board meeting, presented my credentials, told them that I was retired, and would be glad to help with anything they needed.  About 3 months later the safety officer was forced to give up the position due to medical reasons.  Next meeting (I'm present) the board/clique installs 'Pete' aka  Barney Fife or Walter Mitty as club safety officer, even though he has not one iota of training or experience an is a highly ineffectual person.

So yeah, I just keep my head down and keep to myself.

If an unsafe act happens in front of me, I'll step in to keep someone from getting hurt, but as I said, don't want to argue with folks with loaded guns, so I just shoot by myself or with friends or family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users