• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

Alright, figured doing one of these can't make me any worse, so why not...

A little background; the homie SlivGod conned me into shooting USPSA in early 2015. He's a terrible influence, so I ended up buying a SP-01 Shadow and a slew of mags and decided to keep shooting 9mm because 40sw is whack. I shot a few locals that summer and got sufficiently hooked. Got my membership and shot my first major in April of 16 (Battle in the Bluegrass) and later that year got my first classification - B. In 2017 I shot a couple more majors and eventually made A class. So far in 2018 I've managed to become somewhat of a big deal as the number one A class production shooter IN THE WORLD, sitting at 84.9572% - Probably my most crowning achievement in my shooting career, it's nice to finally be number one at something. 

I'm here for an additional form of accountability, this will be another reason for me to get more video of myself, and a place to think out loud. I care about this dumb game enough to make a thread like this, so obviously I already hate myself enough as is, but some outside insight might help point out things I might otherwise miss. With any luck, my follies might be of use to someone else if they're dumb enough to look to me for help. 

I'd also like to honestly admit that until this point, my practice has been pretty lacking and almost entirely undocumented. My successes up to this point are mostly luck, as I feel that I am quite inconsistent. I feel that's the biggest problem with my game, and one that I am trying to work on. "You're only as good as your worst run" makes me think I'm a scrub.

As SlivGod points out, I've got a pretty annoying practice to performance ratio that pisses guys like him (that actually put in effort) off.  I'm here to put in the work and see where it takes me. 

More to follow.

#2 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

"Annoying practice to performance ratio" That should be one of those demotivational posters.
  • htomeheb likes this

#3 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

Good luck!
I’ve found having to document all my shooting activity helps to put more meaning and importance on what I’m doing.

#4 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

We'll start this saga with Yesterday's practice session. Which, for a number of reasons wasn't great, but also wasn't totally horrible either.

I will begin by saying - I've never worked on SOTM in practice. Which, now that I'm typing that seems kind of insane, but whatever. I've always felt that my movement through a stage was good enough, and that my dropping points is what kills my match performance. 

As such, I've spent the last 4 months or so working on static drills. Lots of dots, distance changeup, accelerator, doubles drill, 25-50yd bill drills, plates at distance, etc. - All of this has made me real good at picking up brass after a range session. It's all in one spot. I need to be working on everything, being more efficient with movement will afford me more time to focus on clean hits without feeling rushed. Or so I hope.

I came up with a little scenario that would allow me to work on a few skills at once and let me see what needs isolated. I wanted to work leaving immediately after shooting, shooting into & out of position, and shooting as early as possible while arriving at a position. 

As seen in my wonderful cinematography below, I set up some barrels with a 6" steel plate and a metric target 15yds away, with two more metric targets spread wide at about 10yds from the center of the barrels. Draw to steel, take a target into position, stop for two head shots, take a target out of position, steel to finish. Basically a modified distance changeup with some barrels and extra steps. I should have put a NS on the far target for some more stress, but I had previously been using the body of that target for other things and just didn't. 

I managed to delete all the video I took (most of it was horrible. I need to get a tripod setup so I'm not fiddlefucking with a phone leaned up on an ammo box.), but this clip got sent to a friend and saved in the messenger client. That also explains the compression, but yall get the idea. -  Time was 6.19 with a couple of charlies. This was one of my only decent runs of the day, but I had also spent an hour in the parking lot screaming into a phone about work related matters prior to running this, so I was stoked at being able to pull this off at all. 

I definitely need to work more on shooting into and out of positions, it feels weird (imagine that, having never really worked it), but I can definitely see it being beneficial (no shit right?)

On my bad runs, I whiffed steel when I wasnt focused on clean pulls. I crowded the barrels a few times and caught myself having to fish the gun around them. Not letting the front sight settle enough on the heads will cost you. Footwork/movement looks smooth to me (any pointers are appreciated), I'm sure it will get quicker once it feels more comfortable. I want to do some SOTM isolation drills before doing too much of it in DF. I don't want to get ahead of myself without realizing what the movement will do to my ability to shoot points in motion. 

#5 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

Look at this dumb idiot
  • htomeheb likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#6 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

Look at this dumb idiot

IT ME

#7 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:17 AM

Been dealing with a tendinitis flare up pretty bad for the past week and a half or so. Its been a problem off and on for a long time, but sometimes it gets pretty bad to the point where I can't really do much. 

Picked up the gun for the first time in what feels like forever. last night and this morning. Had a couple of solid DF sessions just focusing on the basics to see where I'm at. It feels good to be back, despite what my elbow tells me.

Though, a couple of days ago I picked up a rifle and happened to be standing in front of my DF targets and started swinging it around. Stopped myself midway and went "why the hell am I dryfiring a rifle right now?" Oh! Because it doesn't hurt like fuck... - And in that moment I kinda thought "well, maybe PCC isn't -THAT- whack...." 

#8 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Get some dumbbells and fix your elbow for good.

https://forums.brian...comment-2639109

Haven’t felt elbow pain in two years. At it’s worst flushing a toilet was an act of agony.
  • Peally likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#9 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

Get some dumbbells and fix your elbow for good.

https://forums.brian...comment-2639109

Haven’t felt elbow pain in two years. At it’s worst flushing a toilet was an act of agony.

Yep, I'd been doing those for a long while and they were very helpful. However, it came back, and they're not helping this go around.

#10 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

Order a red and a green Theraband Flexbar. Do both the twisting and bending exercises. This is what helped fix me when the dumbbell exercises quit solving my elbow problems.

I have given this advice to several people I work with and all have had positive results.

#11 htomeheb

htomeheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:24 AM

Order a red and a green Theraband Flexbar. Do both the twisting and bending exercises. This is what helped fix me when the dumbbell exercises quit solving my elbow problems.

I have given this advice to several people I work with and all have had positive results.

I've heard of those, but never really looked into them. I'll have to check that out. 

This morning I woke up and figured I'd give the dumbbells a try again, since my elbow's been feeling far more manageable than it has in weeks.

It went well. I'm guessing the last week or so of rest and ice has brought me to a manageable level, vs. last time I tried doing the dumbbells while everything was just screaming at me. 

#12 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:29 AM

Naproxen, my dude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users