Photo

New changes to Single Stack rules are... that there are no changes?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

In the latest Down Range email, a Single Stack ruling was announced:

The first ruling, entitled Barrel Profiles in Single Stack Division, enforces the board mandated change to Single Stack Division requiring all barrels, regardless of outside diameter, to have a bushing, unless the barrel is shorter than 4.20 inches. Here is the text of that ruling: 

Per BOD directive, all barrels must have a bushing installed, regardless of barrel diameter. Cone and flanged barrels are not allowed. This does not apply to pistols having a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. All other parameters for Single Stack, including the weight limit, remain in effect. 

As far as I can tell, this changed nothing.  It's barely a rewording.

The actual ruling is here (2nd from bottom, "D5, 22")... I had hoped there was more info, but the wording is the exact same as in the Down Range email.

The wording of D5-22 (Prohibited mods and features) in the 2014 Handgun rules is:

"Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile)."

This already states that all barrels >= 4.20" in length are required to have bushings.

There is no mention at all of barrel diameter in the rules that I can find.

Am I missing something?  I'm tempted to email Troy for a clarification, but thought I'd bounce this off the masses here first.

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!

#2 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

Email Troy with a request for 12 inch barrels to be legal just for the sake of getting it in the rulebook to confuse people.

#3 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Some dude near me is the reason for the barrel profile clarification. He has an uber thick bushing barrel. Bushing is bored out. Still works as a bushing but leans more twords the weight of a bull barrel. The above was a clarification for that apparently.

https://www.facebook...oBPRV&__tn__=-R

• flyingpig likes this

#4 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:21 PM

Some dude near me is the reason for the barrel profile clarification. He has an uber thick bushing barrel. Bushing is bored out. Still works as a bushing but leans more twords the weight of a bull barrel. The above was a clarification for that apparently.

https://www.facebook...oBPRV&__tn__=-R

so does this make the thick barrel legal or illegal...

#5 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

Legal per Troy.

#6 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

Legal per Troy

Interesting.  Not sure it is a game changer with most single stacks butting up against the weight limit anyway, but it is interesting.

#7 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

Interesting.  Not sure it is a game changer with most single stacks butting up against the weight limit anyway, but it is interesting.

The barrels are hard to get and the bushing becomes very thin. I dont see this catching on at all.

• TCB likes this

#8 ralloway

ralloway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGreensburg, PA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

So this is just a clarification that, if the barrel in that thin bushing is cylindrical instead of conical, it is legal?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He's just this guy... ya know?!

#9 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:31 PM

So this is just a clarification that, if the barrel in that thin bushing is cylindrical instead of conical, it is legal?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't know if a cylindrical barrel is a requirement. I've handled a factory profiled 9mm barrel from Springfield that was cut to a smaller diameter behind the bushing. It almost appeared like a mini coned barrel that fit a bushing. It was definitely a "factory profile."

#10 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

They should have grabbed the milspec 1911 barrel diameter and added 1/16" to it. Drill a hole that size in the side of the box. If you can put the pickle in the pocket balls-deep with the slide locked back, you're G2G.

Now we're going to see fat-bushing barrels and oversize slide bores and all kinds of shenanigans for no reason besides "because it's easier to say 'bushing' than actually measure or ban anything".

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#11 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

They should have grabbed the milspec 1911 barrel diameter and added 1/16" to it. Drill a hole that size in the side of the box. If you can put the pickle in the pocket balls-deep with the slide locked back, you're G2G.

Now we're going to see fat-bushing barrels and oversize slide bores and all kinds of shenanigans for no reason besides "because it's easier to say 'bushing' than actually measure or ban anything".

Yup... all 100 people who care bout this division are going to run right out to get a uber thin bushing gun made... yup...

• TCB likes this

#12 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

So if I get an uber-thin bushing barrel, would that make me competitive against the 5.4 inch single stack guns? I feel completely outgunned with my 45 caliber Range Officer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#13 Douchy

Douchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

I didn’t know anyone still shot single stack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

Only Tim Herron, moto, and select female “pro” shooters hunting for an easy High Lady plaque.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#15 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:55 PM

Only Tim Herron, moto, and select female “pro” shooters hunting for an easy High Lady plaque.

i'm mostly shooting limited now because the competition is better and I'm learning faster, but I still really dig SS-only (or SS/prod) matches and shoot any of those I can get to. If I get to the point where I am routinely winning limited in local matches, I may switch back to SS locally. I personally don't care about anything in this thread though. I don't feel outgunned by 5.4" guns, or silly barrels, or whatever.

• ralloway, racetaco and Stranger Danger like this

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#16 TCB

TCB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

5.4 is uspsa legal?

#17 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:06 AM

5.4 is uspsa legal?

Yep. The sti dvc ss come in 5.4 inch.
  • TCB likes this

#18 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:05 AM

If USPSA didn't cater to random cranky vocal minorities we wouldn't have Revo, L10, Ladies or Juniors either.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#19 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:06 PM

If USPSA didn't cater to random cranky vocal minorities we wouldn't have Revo, L10, Ladies or Juniors either.

Or pcc.
  • Stranger Danger likes this

#20 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:45 AM

No No No!!!!!
I’m a random (see my screen name) cranky vocal minority (middle aged fat bald white guy) always bitching about how production should go to magazine capacity and that hasn’t happened yet now has it...
  • Stranger Danger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users