• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 louu

louu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:36 AM

What's the tightest 9mm case gauge? I tried the LE Wilson and some of the rounds that failed in the barrel test passed that guage. I really don't want to take the barrel out every time I have to check rounds. I also don't want one of the 100 round checkers, just a simple single or less than 10.

thanks 

#2 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

Buy a second barrel if it's that super flaky about rounds?

Or alternatively just set your press to make something that works and don't bother case gauging.

#3 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:18 AM

Or alternatively just set your press to make something that works and don't bother case gauging.

This!

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#4 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Tightest I have used is definitely a hundo. But if that isn't a choice then I can't help you.

#5 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

Tightest I have used is definitely a hundo. But if that isn't a choice then I can't help you.

Cut up a hundo and split the pieces with your friends?

• Peally, GooldMember and MEISTERB like this

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#6 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:44 AM

Cut up a hundo and split the pieces with your friends?

Make sure to get a Supermatch Hundo since tighter and thus more room between the holes for your sawing success.

• GuanoLoco likes this

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#7 louu

louu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

I use to say the same thing and never seen the need for a checker because i never had a problem. It's mostly the Atlanta arms brass but there were a few other random pieces of decent brands brass that wouldn't fit either. 

Between the wife and I we have 7 9mm's and they all have never had a problem with the junk ammo I make until recently. The wife has a Springfield RO that had 3 stuck cases this past summer. I guess it had a really tight chamber or maybe they made it wrong?

#8 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

What gun?

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#9 theManwithNoName

theManwithNoName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

Yep...  and get  SuperMatch hundo with tighter tolerances...  You'll have to order it directly from ShockBottle, but it's worth it.

#10 louu

louu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

What gun?

The springfield range officer 9mm, just the regular one not the elite .

Yep...  and get  SuperMatch hundo with tighter tolerances...  You'll have to order it directly from ShockBottle, but it's worth it.

I'm going to give them a call but do you know if they make a single or like a 7 hole one like EGW?

#11 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

I have a single hole gauge from Dawson. A buddy bought me the Hundo gauge as a housewarming gift, I wouldn't want to go back. It's worth the extra cash, it's obviously faster and it's cut tighter too.

Alternatively, you could have your chamber reamed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#12 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:10 AM

Another vote for the Match Hundo. Mines so tight that it’s a pain to use for my Shadow 2 (cause it eats everything anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

Sell the dumb gun(s) and buy ones that work properly? You'll have stuff that works AND not need to putz with additional reloading parameters and labor. Win-win.

Since you won't do that, and don't want the hundo, I don't have any reasonable advice for you.

• GuanoLoco, Peally and racetaco like this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#14 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:27 AM

The egw one is tighter than the double alpha ones. Not sure how that compares to others but I've never had a round pass the egw that failed in a barrel.

A too tight gauge is nearly as annoying as too loose. The egw has worked for me both 9mm and 38 super.

#15 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

The springfield range officer 9mm, just the regular one not the elite.

Send me your damn barrel. Let me open her up a smidge.

Yes, I’m serious.
  • MEISTERB likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#16 louu

louu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

Yes, I’m serious.

I really appreciate the offer but it's the wife's gun and it's her baby. She's one of those people that thinks guns shouldn't be modified or whatever. I'm going to try to talk her into it. 

#17 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:57 AM

Well that gun doesn't work almost at all it sounds like, so while normally good that's a poor philosophy in this particular case. It will either need to be modified or have another part put in by necessity.

My gun is stock but it also works. If the barrel or something absolutely refused to eat anything but perfect brass I'd swap it ASAP. Jams should be a once per year or less occurence, they should be rare freak incidents.

YMMV

#18 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:25 AM

Back in the early 1990s, I bought a 9mm 1911 from SA.  I was building and gunsmithing my own SS guns at the time, but it was NIB and I couldn't pass it up for the money.  Right out of the box, it wouldn't chamber a round.  Not commercial loads, not handloads, not nothing.  Put it through an inspection and found the problem.  The chamber wasn't finish reamed to SAAMI specifications.  The headspace, timing, and barrel fit were satisfactory, but it was clear to me that they didn't finish the gun once those were set.  I called them, and they (and by they I mean some woman that wouldn't know a reamer - or a 1911 - if it hit her in the forehead) told me that "there was nothing they could do".  I explained that it was NIB and that it hadn't been modified, and her answer was that I would have to pay to ship it overnight and that any associated repair costs would be on me.  I finished the chamber myself in a few minutes.  It ran well and was accurate enough afterward.  I sold it immediately, and I haven't held, fired, considered, or purchased a SA product since.  Even when they have a promotion where you can buy a POS XD and get 4 more of them free.  Do I hold a grudge?  Maybe.  It's been 25 years now, but who's counting.  The point of this rambling post: it might actually be the gun.  I would consider that possibility up front.

#19 louu

louu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

Back in the early 1990s, I bought a 9mm 1911 from SA.  I was building and gunsmithing my own SS guns at the time, but it was NIB and I couldn't pass it up for the money.  Right out of the box, it wouldn't chamber a round.  Not commercial loads, not handloads, not nothing.  Put it through an inspection and found the problem.  The chamber wasn't finish reamed to SAAMI specifications.  The headspace, timing, and barrel fit were satisfactory, but it was clear to me that they didn't finish the gun once those were set.  I called them, and they (and by they I mean some woman that wouldn't know a reamer - or a 1911 - if it hit her in the forehead) told me that "there was nothing they could do".  I explained that it was NIB and that it hadn't been modified, and her answer was that I would have to pay to ship it overnight and that any associated repair costs would be on me.  I finished the chamber myself in a few minutes.  It ran well and was accurate enough afterward.  I sold it immediately, and I haven't held, fired, considered, or purchased a SA product since.  Even when they have a promotion where you can buy a POS XD and get 4 more of them free.  Do I hold a grudge?  Maybe.  It's been 25 years now, but who's counting.  The point of this rambling post: it might actually be the gun.  I would consider that possibility up front.

Thanks for posting bud, I'm going to use this as fuel to get her to let me get the gun checked out and fixed. I'm sure her argument is going to be that it worked fine for a couple years or some thing like that. 

#20 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:44 PM

Yes, I’m serious.

Shit Memphis if I knew you offered that service I wouldn't have had to send my Shadow 2 out to Patriot last year! But $39 was cheap anyway

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users