25 replies to this topic

#1 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Well not official yet, kind of a test run. My range will be affiliated come Nov.
Went pretty good, I screwed up the steel/paper count on 2 stages, other than that went smoothly. Not any vocal complaints - at least that I heard. ;)  Several said it was much more difficult than they expected. Overall I had a good time building and shooting it.
As usual I forgot to get video of most of the stages. Here are my last 2, pistol and PCC - as soon as they get processed.

#2 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

#3 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

The star behind the wall like that is not a great idea. If you hit the star through the wall it's a mandatory reshoot.

Forcing people to shoot through that white barrel like that is not legal. 

The wall setup right before the shooter gets to the white barrel is a bad RO trap. RO is forced to be down range of the shooter in order to get around that corner.

Also, no fucks given to the 180 at that point either? 

#4 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

To clarify what Matt said, if you want them to shoot through the barrel, it has to be the only possible way for them to see that particular target.

USPSA is fundamentally a totally freestyle sport, hence “Engage targets as they become visible from within the shooting area” being pretty much the only words used in most walkthroughs, and all that jazz.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#5 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:44 PM

The star behind the wall like that is not a great idea. If you hit the star through the wall it's a mandatory reshoot.

Forcing people to shoot through that white barrel like that is not legal. 

The wall setup right before the shooter gets to the white barrel is a bad RO trap. RO is forced to be down range of the shooter in order to get around that corner.

Also, no fucks given to the 180 at that point either? 

Nobody hit a plate through a no shoot, it's done quite often at other uspsa clubs around here.

This is a level 1 match, shooting activators before the activated target, and shooting through the barrel is covered in the WSB

RO doesn't have to/shouldn't, follow the shooter through there, he can/should, just go behind the wall where box A was.

No 180's were broken, only 1 DQ , he shot the Jeep.

To clarify what Matt said, if you want them to shoot through the barrel, it has to be the only possible way for them to see that particular target.

USPSA is fundamentally a totally freestyle sport, hence “Engage targets as they become visible from within the shooting area” being pretty much the only words used in most walkthroughs, and all that jazz.

Level 1 match, covered in the WSB, none of the range lawyers present had a problem with any stages - well I had 1,  4" KO that had a few grumbling cause they couldn't hit it at 12 yds.

#6 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:08 AM

I applaud your efforts in getting into the uspsa thing. Well done. :)

As far as critique goes I think you do have a bit of a bias towards the mindset that ‘interesting props makes interesting stages’ which in my experience is just not true. You also seem to lean towards ‘all the things on all the stages”. It makes for complex stages. Don’t be afraid to vary the round count.

For example the rotating barrel to me would make more sense as a short 12 round stage.

If also consider cutting back on the weird target presentations (like the big diamond of 4 targets).

But again. I do appreciate someone having a go. Well done.
  • SlivGod likes this

#7 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

Nobody hit a plate through a no shoot, it's done quite often at other uspsa clubs around here.

This is a level 1 match, shooting activators before the activated target, and shooting through the barrel is covered in the WSB

RO doesn't have to/shouldn't, follow the shooter through there, he can/should, just go behind the wall where box A was.

No 180's were broken, only 1 DQ , he shot the Jeep.

Level 1 match, covered in the WSB, none of the range lawyers present had a problem with any stages - well I had 1,  4" KO that had a few grumbling cause they couldn't hit it at 12 yds.

So you're one of those guys that didn't actually want advice. Got it. 

Good luck with your shitty match and your Level 1 exemptions. 

• Mistadobalina, Sweet T and shmella like this

#8 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

I applaud your efforts in getting into the uspsa thing. Well done. :)

As far as critique goes I think you do have a bit of a bias towards the mindset that ‘interesting props makes interesting stages’ which in my experience is just not true. You also seem to lean towards ‘all the things on all the stages”. It makes for complex stages. Don’t be afraid to vary the round count.

For example the rotating barrel to me would make more sense as a short 12 round stage.

If also consider cutting back on the weird target presentations (like the big diamond of 4 targets).

But again. I do appreciate someone having a go. Well done.

The 4 in a circle was originally going to be a mover with one of them a no shoot, but I decided the star raised the difficulty high enough.
I like complex over simple, had 2/5 were pretty straightforward. And 1 jungle run that other than the trees, was easy. I havent shot much uspsa in the past because there's not much to a typical stage. Some are getting something other than metric targets and full size poppers. Im used to more diversity of targets and stage designs.

#9 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

So you're one of those guys that didn't actually want advice. Got it.

Good luck with your shitty match and your Level 1 exemptions.

Whew, there for a minute I thought maybe Enos had taken over doodie.
LOL

#10 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

The 4 in a circle was originally going to be a mover with one of them a no shoot, but I decided the star raised the difficulty high enough.
I like complex over simple, had 2/5 were pretty straightforward. And 1 jungle run that other than the trees, was easy. I havent shot much uspsa in the past because there's not much to a typical stage. Some are getting something other than metric targets and full size poppers. Im used to more diversity of targets and stage designs.

The stages looked very 3 gunny to me. It didnt look like a USPSA match and I wouldn't want to shoot the match based on the two stages I saw on video.

• SlivGod and Peally like this

#11 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

I would echo that it did look like a 3 gun match vs USPSA, I honestly had to recheck the thread title. You don't need a huge variety of targets and moving objects and gimmicks like shooting through barrels to make a good USPSA stage; I usually find that sort of thing pretty obnoxious if it's at a match I'm shooting. There are section matches like WI that barely use any movers at all but the matches end up being pretty kickass regardless.

Many people find 3 gun fun, but it's a "dumb" fun in that you're shooting multiple guns at carnival style targets versus shooting legitimately interesting stages. Obviously 3 gun could (in theory :)) have interesting stages and USPSA matches can definitely have crap ones but that's a general observation of mine. Shooters cross over a bit but usually they stick to one or the other for the most part since they offer different competitive flavors.

I would recommend asking very good shooters where exceptional USPSA matches are held and shooting a few to soak in the stage designs. If it only takes an M or GM guy 30 seconds to figure out the only logical ideal way to shoot the stage it doesn't have enough options and risk factors available.

Not trying to shit on you or anything FWIW just offering my salty opinion. Looks like you have the major hurdle of running good matches out of the way, having the equipment and range to do it. Good luck!

#12 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:55 PM

If it only takes an M or GM guy 30 seconds to figure out the only logical ideal way to shoot the stage it doesn't have enough options and risk factors available.

On the flip side, "memory" stages that take 20 minutes for a M or GM to figure out are also fucking stupid.

• Peally likes this

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#13 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

On the flip side, "memory" stages that take 20 minutes for a M or GM to figure out are also fucking stupid.

There's definitely a balance between way too simple (8-8-8 where the shooting positions are all just single ports) and full-retard complex.

#14 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:30 AM

There is very few people in the world that are actually great stage designers. It’s very hard for one person to get it all in perfect rhythm for one stage much less an entire match. Ray Hirst is probably the best I’ve ever seen but hell hes been involved in uspsa since the early 80’s. I guess if you stick with it long enough you are bound to get better

#15 SlivGod

SlivGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationThe Good Land

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

There is very few people in the world that are actually great stage designers. It’s very hard for one person to get it all in perfect rhythm for one stage much less an entire match. Ray Hirst is probably the best I’ve ever seen but hell hes been involved in uspsa since the early 80’s. I guess if you stick with it long enough you are bound to get better

You can also just borrow stage designs from reputable clubs, and then learn from and modify them as you go. Major matches, and clubs like NEOH, are easy examples that come to mind.

Or build stupid shit and play the "level 1 exemption" card.

• Peally likes this

"Forget the necessities, it's the luxuries I can't live without." 

#16 maximis228

maximis228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

This is clearly just your style 3 gun matches while attempting to stay within the USPSA ruleset. Claiming level 1 exemption for anything is pretty lame. Its not hard to make stages legal.

That star under the way is just tarded. Sure its fun once or twice but that is about as gimmicky as it gets.

Maybe next month you could do it from a shaky platform.

• SlivGod likes this

#17 waktasz

waktasz

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

It's perfectly fine if you use real hard cover. Putting it behind a mesh wall or a no shoot is no good though

• toothandnail likes this

#18 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

There's definitely a balance between way too simple (8-8-8 where the shooting positions are all just single ports) and full-retard complex.

I hate full retard stages....nothing like going prone in a puddle of mud!

#19 Just Some Random Hoser

Just Some Random Hoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yes I agree....but....Ray can take his hard cover poppers and go fuck himself with them!!!!
And yes, I still fucking remember getting popper fucked at Nationals.....MuthaFucker!!!!
  • Stranger Danger likes this

#20 toothandnail

toothandnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

This is clearly just your style 3 gun matches while attempting to stay within the USPSA ruleset. Claiming level 1 exemption for anything is pretty lame. Its not hard to make stages legal.

That star under the way is just tarded. Sure its fun once or twice but that is about as gimmicky as it gets.

Maybe next month you could do it from a shaky platform.

Dang I got both a shaky platform on springs, and one hung on cables. :(  Works great with 12 ga :P

And a Death star - you guys would LOVE the Death Star :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users