Photo

Just dove in on a vanilla XL650. Any must have upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:38 AM

Besides the obvious things like a bullet and case feeder and besides the fixes to eccentricities unique to each machine that will eventually crop up once the machine breaks in, what did you add to your machine for better functionality/ease of use? Anything to avoid?

Been looking at the Armanov powder throw adjustment knob, cause I hate pulling out a wrench for painfully small adjustments. and the led lighting ring, cause I refuse to put a bulky shop light up on my workbench.

Not ready for automated loading, so I’m skipping the expensive quality of life attachments....for now.

#2 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

Roller handle to replace the ball one.

Something better to catch the live primers since what comes stock is nothing more than a ski jump for them.
  • Alfred Salveti likes this

#3 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

Micrometer for the powder bar.

#4 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

I can't figure out why I would want a bullet feeder, but the case-feeder is pretty valuable. I also got an inline fabrication mount for mine, with their handy trays on the left side for bullets (and allen wrenches), and a roller handle. that pretty much covers it for me, but I'm not really a gadget guy, and I hate screwing with stuff to keep it running. I just load 100-200 rounds at a time almost every day, and then do other stuff, and leave the press set up all the time.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#5 BettieWhite

BettieWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationHeart o' Dixie

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Somewhat agree with what has already been said...

Roller handle is worth it.

Some type of bullet tray is good.

Casefeeder is practically a MUST on the 650.

Configuring some type of tubing system to funnel spent primers into a catch basin.

Powder knob is a win; powder bar micrometer is NOT a necessity at all, IMO.

FYI - This is supposed to be a link to youtube clip of a snickers commercial to better explain my screen name. Apparently, my attitude can get abrasive when I'm hungry and you're stupid.

#6 jayohee

jayohee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

I don’t think the spent primer tube is worth it. Unless you’re automated you’ll have plenty of time between sessions to dump the bin.

- Foam cover + roller handle = cadillac of non-automated set up

- LED lighting for the after the powder drop

- Canned air for all dust, spilled powder and gunk that gets caught in the shell plate

#7 3gundago

3gundago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

bullet feeder is a must-otherwise you have a pimped out 550.  besides, then you have more time to drink.

#8 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

Micrometer for the powder bar.

I have multiple powder measures for different tool heads. Once I chrono a lot of powder I never touch the powder measure again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#9 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Nice responses.

Went ahead and put the order in for the roller handle, interior led lighting setup and powder adjustment knob to start.

Case feeder will probably be a Xmas present to myself. Will give me time to get in the habit of checking powder drop on the scale and measuring OAL at certain intervals since adding cases forces me to stop every 15-20 rounds while I re-up.

Far as the live primer ski jump, I just cut off the finger of a latex glove and covered it up while I explore options.

#10 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:08 PM

FWIW I don't have the case feeder and I've never missed it. But I only load in batches of 100-300 at a time so the breaks don't bother me.

#11 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

I have multiple powder measures for different tool heads. Once I chrono a lot of powder I never touch the powder measure again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have too many different calibers/loads for that approach to be economically feasible. I have the micrometer settings for each load recorded to allow me to easily set my adjustment. That said I load in big batches so I don't have to set up as often.

#12 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

I’m still ROCKING 550’s with no complaints........... except they’re not 1050’s

#13 beerbaron

beerbaron

Shagga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

Ok. My experience with a few 650s now.

You don’t need the live primer catcher. I would be lucky to have one live primer ejected in 3,000 loaded rounds. It’s a non issue.

Spent primer tube into a big bucket is not only easier but keeps the press cleaner.

Me bullet feeder is the #1 upgrade. And if you get it then you don’t need to blow money on a strong mount or bullet tray.

I mount mine on a piece of pine sleeper then clamp that to a big solid bench. Rock solid.

Inline fabrication light kit is awesome.

Dillon rollers handle with the uniquetek foam cover is excellent.

I do like shell plate bearing with 1 washer and the delrin detent ball.

Bullet feeder is a must have.

#14 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:17 PM

Depends on your process for using the device, I have plenty of blown and live primers on the carpet after I load some ammo.

#15 V2plus25

V2plus25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

Yep the bullet feeder is awesome. You don’t know what you’re missing out in till you load with one.

I’ve taken to loading 1000 rounds at a time because I really don’t like going out to the garage every other day and loading a few hundred just in time for a practice session or match.

#16 Roons

Roons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

I started with the basic 650 and have put a number of updates into mine. I love it. Occasionally I wish I had gotten a 1050, but honestly a 650 does everything I need it to do. I do drool at the new Mark7 Revolution (here), but again, the 650 is doing its job by making me about 15k to 20k rounds a season.

Here are the upgrades:

Thumb Screw Knob for the Powder Bar (here

- I thought of getting the micrometer, but you will find the bar is not that accurate. There is a "feel" and that a 1/16 turn doesn't always measure the same way when adjusting it (ie. the micrometer is overkill). You will still be adjusting it back and forth to get the measure you want anytime you change the drop. 

Roller Handle - can't imaging reloading with out it. Absolutely necessary

Bullet Tray - can't imaging hand reloading with out it. You will develop a rhythm with grabbing a bullet from within the tray and placing it on the next case. Don't overload it, grab from the top of the tray, you'll have a feel and position the bullet correctly in your fingers. The flow will come, trust me.

Light kit or what I did was just get an adjustable LED lamp to shine down into the shell plate. LED to reduce heat. 

Buy extra Primer Tubes. I got 10. It allows you to load up 1000 in a single sitting from a standard box. Trust me, it just makes things easier and flows better in the whole process.

Canned air to clear our the shell plate. I finally upgraded to a small air compressor (here) with a air blow gun (here). This was a great investment and I love it. I don't go through any air cans anymore and I use it for gun cleaning, press cleaning, lots of other applications. 

Case feeder. You're speed will increase and you'll need one very soon.

Spare Pats Kit. I can't stress this enough - something WILL break. The 650 is designed for certain parts to break to extend the life of the parts that shouldn't break. From memory,these are key parts to have on hand: Ring Indexer, Primer Indexing Arm, Springs (pretty much all of them but key ones are the indexing arm spring, index return spring, primer support shim), 18086 - the small plastic white bushing at the bottom of the rod from the powder dispenser that connects to the primer housing, and extra Station 1 Locator plates (brass can get jammed in there, it gets pitted up, shells tip more and everything goes to hell). Learn to love this page here and just order a spare parts kit asap (https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-spare-parts-kit_8_3_23824.htmlYou will understand the first time something breaks and its the week before a match and you lazed out and didn't make enough ammo. 

Bullet feeder. I went for years without one. I got the Mr Bullet Feeder a couple years ago. I was upset at myself for not getting one sooner, you will be too. You can ditch the bullet tray if you upgrade now. 

Primer Catcher - I upgraded to this (here) and I LOVE it. Never have to deal with primers on the floor. No tubes draping down off the press. And easy to clean up and dump when needed. 

Spent Primer Catcher/Upgrade - I originally did the 45 shell case cut trick and attached a clear tube and ran it down to a empty jar under the press. The case would get gunked up pretty fast. I eventually switched to a fabricated fitting very similar to this one (here) however its not 3D printed and I can't locate where I got it long ago. I would definitely recommend this type of upgrade if you're not buying deprimed/processed brass (I got lazy and just buy it processed most of the time now since I shoot 9mm)

Honestly, the BIGGEST upgrade I did was get a Mark7 Pro for it. Yes, its a lot of money. Yes, I should maybe gotten it for a 1050; but I'm not disappointed one bit and CONSTANTLY tell my wife how much I love it. Once you get it tuned and have the BulletSense positioning LAZZERRR and the PrimerStop. OMG, you load it up and watch it go. You can do other things while its reloading (clean guns, clean man cave, think about how you should be dryfiring more) and before you know it, you have 100 rounds done. Repeat as needed. Yes, you keep an eye on it, but with the BulletSense and PrimerStop and all the other features like TorqueSense, the press will stop if something bad happens. 

Its a big investment, but I honestly don't think there is a single person out there that shoots the volume we do that regrets getting a Mark7. Start saving. Trust me.

Only other upgrade I'm thinking about is the Dillon RF100 to fill primer tubes, but my wife fills primer tubes while I case gauge the ammo. Its a couples thing, I'm pretty fucking lucky. ;)

"You can give it the old spin."

#17 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

Screw the little plastic knobs for the powder mesure, AND the micrometers - all you need is this: https://www.ebay.com...=item3af9060e19

Pro Tip: always end your changes going in the same direction, clockwise or counterclockwise. This minimizes backlash in the system.

While you are at it, don’t use the little thumb wheel screw replacements for the llen screws, use an Armanov Quick Disconnect: https://www.ebay.com...Z4AAOSw7m9a--uy
  • Roons likes this
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#18 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

I'm on a 1050 Mark 7....best upgrade is the RF 100...I think that was a more important upgrade than the autodrice! I hate pecking primers 👎👎👎

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• GuanoLoco likes this

#19 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:35 AM

Reloading innovations starlight lighting system. No shadows. Out of the way. Best lighting option out there.

Go to eBay and pick up the camming pin and the index bearing cam block. Those parts have no business being metal/plastic and plastic/plastic interfaces. Run the roller bearing upgrades and you can run those spots dry so you aren’t getting grease all over you.

Convert the bolt in the center of the shellplate to a roller bearing and run a low-mass detent ball; the “spill stop” system. It helps reduce powder spillage.

Mr Bulletfeeder went on mine after 6 years without it. I’m keeping one on my press forever. Period. This should be purchased the moment you have $500 available. Sell a gun if you have to.

Final upgrade? What I just did to my 650:
Replace it with a 1050.
  • GuanoLoco likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#20 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

Make sure you LUBE.  Their are some plastic parts that need motor grease on them and if you don't keep it lubed it will mess it up.

Primer drop is a problem and will mess up and back up your machine.  Make sure they are being popped out and dropping away from the machine.  Use any hacks to fix this.

Canned air is good.

Case feeder now, bullet feeder next.

I am an inventor and Firearms Industry Subject Matter Expert. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users