#1 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationGetting killed in the streets

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:54 PM

I have received inquiries about offering a premium sort 9mm brass for those who want to avoid the cheaper headstamps.

This brass has been cleaned and polished. Once polished it is mechanically sorted to remove all 380 brass. Once the 380 is removed the brass is sorted by headstamp.

This brass is all FC, WIN, R&P, and Blazer only. All other headstamps have been removed.

I have one large flat rate box with 5000+ sorted cases (44+ lbs). Price is $149 shipped.

If there is interest I will sort more. I have at least 4 buckets ready to sort.

Paypal friends and family preferred but will accept money order or certified funds as well.

Posted Image

#2 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:30 AM

This brass is all FC, WIN, R&P, and Blazer only.

One of these is not like the other.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#3 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:02 AM

One of these is not like the other.

Zach,

What is the issue with WIN? That is one that people have historically been happy to see in the mix.

I appreciate any feedback you or anyone else reading this can provide as this is something new that I am trying.

Are there other headstamps not included that you would consider on par with the other 3?

#4 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

This is the issue with WIN

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:28 AM

This is the issue with WIN

Posted Image

I have seen this type of case head failure many times but the brass was always WCC headstamp. I remove WCC and WMA from all of my brass. I can't tell from the picture but I am going to assume that the case is Winchester WIN headstamp and not WCC. Thanks for the feedback.

#6 ToddKS

ToddKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

Next question for anyone willing to provide feedback, if I remove the WIN from the mix do you feel the asking price is a good value?

#7 Leroy

Leroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Nothing wrong with WIN reload that shit all the time.

#8 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

I have seen this type of case head failure many times but the brass was always WCC headstamp. I remove WCC and WMA from all of my brass. I can't tell from the picture but I am going to assume that the case is Winchester WIN headstamp and not WCC. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes it was a WIN case. Happened last night. Last round of a training session. Ironically I had exactly the same failure, in the same gun from the same brand case nearly 12 months ago.

It’s a good price anyway. Even though it’s happened twice to me now (and I know of a number of other incidents) I still can’t be bothered to pick the WIN brass out of the buckets of 9mm I have.

#9 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:02 AM

Zach, What is the issue with WIN? 

There are no issues, Todd.  I have loaded WIN cases eleventy billion times with no problems.  

Yes it was a WIN case. Happened last night. Last round of a training session. Ironically I had exactly the same failure, in the same gun from the same brand case nearly 12 months ago.

This is interesting to me, as the photo would appear to show a partial case head seperation.  Some possibilities include:

1.  Bad brass

2.  Reloading error

3.  Improperly headspaced pistol

4.  Some other gun related issue that I cannot identify without examining it?

You'll notice that only one of these possible causes has anything to do with brass.  It's also worth noting that if you reload any case enough times it may lose its head.  In any event, I would initially suspect something other than brass made by one of the oldest ammo companies extant.

• Yard Sale and racetaco like this

#10 Matt1

Matt1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

It’s a blow out at the bottom of the case. This one only ruptured. The last one seperated a chunk of brass and blew off half the extractor claw.

I’ve been loading for enough years to be confident that it’s not me and put enough rounds through this particular gun to rule that out too.

True, this brass has been loaded an unknown number of times but if it was simply worn out what are the chances that it would only happen to WIN cases?

Have seen multiple examples of exactly the same issue happening to other shooters, shooting different loads out of different guns.

Like I said, I haven’t culled the WIN brass out of my pile but if I had a choice I’d prefer FC brass. I know others who won’t use WIN brass anymore.

• vluc likes this

#11 foofighter

foofighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:59 PM

True, this brass has been loaded an unknown number of times but if it was simply worn out what are the chances that it would only happen to WIN cases?

Depends on your mix of brass. If you only shoot WIN, the chance is about 100%.

#12 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

Do you squad with an open shooter who uses a lot of Winchester cases?

#13 shreek

shreek

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Do you squad with an open shooter who uses a lot of Winchester cases?

Or any high-volume 9mm shooter with a roll-sizer?

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#14 ZachJ

ZachJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

Zach, What is the issue with WIN? That is one that people have historically been happy to see in the mix. I appreciate any feedback you or anyone else reading this can provide as this is something new that I am trying. Are there other headstamps not included that you would consider on par with the other 3?

Can't find the thread where this was somewhat discussed previously, but the newer(?) WIN seems to have some issues that previous ones didn't have. Primarily that the primer pockets seem to be a little tighter than the Fed, Rem, Blazer, Speer, or PMC brass I've had in my match brass pile. Not a problem if you're loading on something with a swager, but noticeable on my 550 at least. Of course, this is anecdotal from my experience, but still. Could also be the brass we get in Canada is different, but I doubt it.

Deliberate, then obliterate.™

I am unafraid to miss.

#15 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

@ZachJ - it’s not just you. WIN headstamps were half the primer jams I had on my 650, with their extra tight and perfectly square primer pockets.

About 66% of the time the primer seated correctly, and a lot of the rest got crushed. Also prone to higher primers than other headstamps when using CCI primers.

I have a 1050 now. WIN brass is my prison bitch, and takes primers exactly as deeply as I tell it to while it’s bent over in the shower.
  • MEISTERB likes this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#16 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

I have experienced a number of case head blowouts and almost every one was Win brass.

I still load and shoot the hell out of it.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#17 MEISTERB

MEISTERB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:15 AM

@ZachJ - it’s not just you. WIN headstamps were half the primer jams I had on my 650, with their extra tight and perfectly square primer pockets.

About 66% of the time the primer seated correctly, and a lot of the rest got crushed. Also prone to higher primers than other headstamps when using CCI primers.

I have a 1050 now. WIN brass is my prison bitch, and takes primers exactly as deeply as I tell it to while it’s bent over in the shower.

Damn that's perfect Memphis!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users