#1 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah the gun doesn't matter....or does it?  Less now than before?

When I semi-retired from shooting a few years ago I was Master Class, just below GM, and I did just fine winning and competing.  I did very well against "named shooters" in regional matches, within a few %, and I even got a couple wins.  I was very happy with my performance.  I did it shooting a Glock 34.  CZ's were a thing and most of the best shooters were just the guys that had been around a few more years...that had come up in the Dave Sevigny era and they still shot Glocks.  So, the best shooters shot Glocks. 

I'm thinking about returning to the sport after a few years absence.  Seems CZ's are eveywhere.  I have money, I could buy a new gun.  The only drawback is I do put a priority on my concealed carry; which is a G26. 

Is there something to a DA/SA metal framed gun besides preference?

I've read the new rules.  Is the advantage a CZ offered cancelled out by some new rules.  Especially the ability to add 3oz of weight?

I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#2 Part Of Me

Part Of Me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

You do not need a new gun. Glocks are just fine and competitive. They are not as fun as some other ones but the fun is just an extra bonus. We all do it for fun though. I personally disagree with the idea that you need to compete with your carry gun but if you like being full  timmie and feel it is important to you, that is all fine. I recently went to the range with my G19 that I did not touch for 3 years. I shot it basically as well as my metal guns. I was  thinking why the fuck did I spend all this money on my CZs?? Because they are fun, that is why!  

Welcome back.

#3 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:38 PM

Limited Nationals in 2017 was won with a Glock. The popularity of metal guns in production is driven my the success of Stoeger, but he'd win with anything. I wouldn't buy a new gun unless you think it will motivate you to practice more.

#4 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:59 PM

The metal DA guns have no net advantage that I can discern.

I tried.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• ralloway likes this

#5 racetaco

racetaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

The CZ I had 4 or 5 years ago was the most accurate 9mm I’ve ever shot, but it wouldn’t change the outcome in any of the games I play. If you like trying new stuff and having to learn different things plus spending money... go nuts! Personally I don’t care what other guys are using, especially competitors way above my level.

#6 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

7 of the top 25 production shooters ran a Glock.

I believe that makes for more Glocks than CZs. Maybe not, but there is plenty of proof plastic guns are still relevant.

There is a popular perception that metal DA/SA guns have an advantage. It isn’t really borne out in match finishes. He who practices hardest still wins.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#7 louu

louu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:33 PM

If you wait a couple more months you'll be able to shoot a 2011 in production. 

• Stubb, Yard Sale, The Guy From PR and 2 others like this

#8 snark

snark

Aberrant Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationNull Island

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

Metal guns won Production, plastic guns crushed balls in CO. Clearly you'll be more happy screwing at dot to the top of that Glock.

Use the rules. Don't DQ someone who doesn't do anything DQable. -- Da Beard.

#9 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

The only drawback is I do put a priority on my concealed carry; which is a G26. 

Is there something to a DA/SA metal framed gun besides preference?

I nominate you a Doodie ambassador to pistol forum. Glock 26 is a baller gun. Too bad USPSA doesn't have a BUG division.

As far as this second part, I dunno for sure but I think there is something to a gun that weighs more than pressure weight required to drop that hammer. It unfortunately doesn't help with my position entries and exits though.

Limited Nationals in 2017 was won with a Glock.

With metal weights bolted to the frame. And the slide.

7 of the top 25 production shooters ran a Glock.

Zero out of top ten ran a Glock.

Bonafide asshole

#10 Doughnut

Doughnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

You should either shoot G26 in Production or start carrying a g34. Be consistent in your timmy lifestyle.

#11 GuanoLoco

GuanoLoco

Minister of Culture

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationMy Safe Space

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

CZ P-07 is very carry-able, I like it better than the G26 and the matching P-09 is a lot nicer than you might think. Not a Shadow 2 but still in carry territory. I can even AIWB a P-09 with a good claw holster.
Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In Doodie, Veritas.

"You might be a little thin-skinned for this forum". -Scott.

#12 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:09 AM

Too bad USPSA doesn't have a BUG division.

It would make far more sense than PCC, wouldn't it?

• racetaco likes this

No one likes me, and I don't care.

#13 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

Zero out of top ten ran a Glock.

Hunh.  I didn't notice this until now.  You would think Coley would've been Top 10 in Production based on his Limited finish this year and recent Production results.  Where was he?  How does Glock let Production nationals go down without their team captain in attendance?  I'd bet that Vogel would be in there if he were present and driving Perfection.  Jonasson was also missing because he was busy winning SS.  I'm saying that's three Top 10 Production Glocks right there, they just weren't represented.  I'm also saying that these particular results were more likely related to choices (not shooting the match, going to Thailand, and winning a different division) than they were an indication that Perfection is no longer a viable option.    

• GooldMember likes this

#14 happygunner

happygunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

Since I rarely practice live fire. The metal gun helped me this year, a lot. If you're hardcore on dryfire and live fire, doesn't matter what gun you use. 

#15 GooldMember

GooldMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 01:05 PM

Since I rarely practice live fire. The metal gun helped me this year, a lot. If you're hardcore on dryfire and live fire, doesn't matter what gun you use.

How so? I believe this is... completely mental.

#16 Peally

Peally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

It doesn't fucking matter.

You people need to get jobs that pay half as much. Suddenly buying skill will seem a bit more stupid.

#17 shmella

shmella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

It doesn't fucking matter.

You people need to get jobs that pay half as much. Suddenly buying skill will seem a bit more stupid.

Better yet get a job that pays twice as much and the whole sport seems kinda retarded.
  • ncav8tor and Stranger Danger like this

#18 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

It would make far more sense than PCC, wouldn't it?

Indeed but only if you're willing to go all the way and give J frames and such their own BUG-Revo division.

I'd bet that Vogel would be in there if he were present and driving Perfection.  Jonasson was also missing because he was busy winning SS.  I'm saying that's three Top 10 Production Glocks right there, they just weren't represented.  

Those are some astute observations. I wonder why Nils chose that antiquated old gun over the coveted Glock.

I also noticed that Graufel, Vallerga, and Torgashov didn't come to shoot this match. I'm saying that's three more Top 10 Production metal guns right there, they just weren't represented.

Let's see how far we can take this discussion talking about things that could've but never happened.

Back to Mr. Salveti's dilemma and having given it an additional thought, I concluded that buying a vest and rocking the G26 in IDPA would be much cheaper investment than getting a CZ or Tanfo,

Bonafide asshole

#19 Colonel_klink

Colonel_klink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:14 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

#20 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

I also noticed that Graufel, Vallerga, and Torgashov didn't come to shoot this match. I'm saying that's three more Top 10 Production metal guns right there, they just weren't represented.

Uh...WTF are you talking about?  It's called USPSA Nationals for a reason.  Fuck foreigners coming over to shoot it.  They don't mean anything here.  The Top 10 remains the first ten Mericans on the list whether IPSC shows up or not.  

• GooldMember likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users