#141 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:11 AM

This happens at every match near me, where you need to be a member to get priority registration or risk missing the match. AND I live in California, where supposedly everyone is afraid of guns.

Cool.  Move the midwest.  No problems either finding a match or getting in.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#142 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

This happens at every match near me, where you need to be a member to get priority registration or risk missing the match. AND I live in California, where supposedly everyone is afraid of guns.

Our attendance hasn’t gone up that much in the past few years. Maybe 10 more guys, but a few old hands faded out too.

Aside from 10 or so rifles on the pistol bays and a few of us running production guns with a dot, things haven’t really changed.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#143 TrackCage

TrackCage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:34 AM

Cool. Move the midwest. No problems either finding a match or getting in.

But then I'd have to live in the Midwest. I was born in Illinois. I don't go back unless I have to.

#144 Buck Turgidson

Buck Turgidson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Locationthe command bunker

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

I don't go back

I feel the same way about the entire west coast.  And I've lived in two out of the three states on that coast plus Hawaii.

In any case, Memphis Mechanic is right.  Over in flyover country we'll do whatever gets the org more growth.  If you're overcrowded, build more ranges.

I need something to do while shooting, and thinking about titties is too distracting  - Stubb

#145 moverfive

moverfive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

This is a niche sport in the shooting world. That is the reason our numbers have hovered in the 20,000 range for years. Maybe we will grow to 25,000, or even 30,000 active participants some day.....but the overall percentage of shooters in our sport against all shooting sports won’t change materially.

The key thing, I think, is to keep people IN this sport. Those people that fit in the profile to play this game is small.....and we need to find ways to keep those folks interested in the game. That is where I think PCC has been helpful (amongst other things). PCC is something different. I have switched between all other divisions over my 28 years in this game......it is still a pistol in the end. A rifle brings something different and that may be that “interest” that keeps some people playing.

If you or your club don’t like PCC (and I have heard several reasonable positions there), then don’t recognize the division at your match/club. It ain’t nuclear rocket surgery if you don’t want rifles in your match....don’t allow them. But if it’s popular in your area, then utilize it to keep people coming to your matches.

#146 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

I agree. PCC is a great way to keep old and lazy people from dropping out of the sport entirely when they get too decrepit to hit stuff with a handgun. And it honestly doesn't slow the matches down much more than revolver...

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#147 Part Of Me

Part Of Me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

PCC is like Spice Girls. You secretly like it but don't tell you friends about it

#148 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

And it honestly doesn't slow the matches down much more than revolver...

I don’t think an experienced PCC shooter is any slower than a handgun shooter at all. Aside from tacking 3 seconds onto either end to pocket a flag, and then stab it back in at the end of the stage.

Where you run into problems is new guys - mostly because they inevitably use $5 Uncle Mikes floppy zipper cases they don’t want to get dirty. Casing and uncasing a rifle takes a minute, even when you’re used to manipulating the weapon and the case is stiff.

I now leave the two rifle racks on the side of my cooler-carrying wagon permanently now, and insist that “bag guy” uses it to help speed the squad up. I’ll roll the wagon over to whatever end of the stage he’s going to clear his gun at, and then he doesn’t have to fumble about. Grab it and a mag, walk to start spot, shoot, then flag it and bungee it in.

Handgun guys get the same offer to toss their junk in there, they just have less to carry.
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#149 Motosapiens

Motosapiens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

I don’t think the one experienced PCC shooter who actually practices is any slower than a handgun shooter at all. 

You are right. I saw him at a nationals match, and he was pretty quick.

everyone else... not so much. Heck, I have to bring the manual with me to load the gun at MR and unload it at ULSC, then I have to borrow a flag from someone. Total shit-show.

I usually squad with 2-3 pcc shooters at our local matches because they are my friends and because by the time our squad finally finishes, all the stages except the one we are still shooting (usually the classifier) are already torn down.

2013 National Champion C class  Limited 10

#150 TrackCage

TrackCage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

by the time our squad finally finishes, all the stages except the one we are still shooting (usually the classifier) are already torn down.

People who pick their squad based on desire to tear down the easiest stage (generally classifier) are either lazy or BOCs

#151 Cajun cracker

Cajun cracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationLa.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

People who pick their squad based on desire to tear down the easiest stage (generally classifier) are either lazy or BOCs

😂I guess we have a bunch of lazy BOCs where I shoot. I usually sign up mid week and I know the bays at the ranges and where the classifieds will be and the squad following the classifier bays are packed. With some of the better shooters too. Bunch of lazy good shooting BOC. That’s the case at 2 of the 4 local ranges.

#152 Cajun cracker

Cajun cracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationLa.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

good points but the beard walx on water-he'll be re-elected for the next 20 years because growth. and growth brought us 120+ shooters level 1 matches that you can't get into every week at a range near you.

Around here the club that has the highest growth maintains the largest # of shooters has upped the # of stages and the quality for us shooters. We dive 2 hours to another state just to shoot the match. Never been disappointed except for my DQ for an AD right outta my holster about 3 foot in front of my foot. 😱. DQ or not I was done shooting for that day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users