#1 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSugar City, USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

What's the verdict on these bullets.  From too fast to too slow, are these bullets just right?  Or am I wasting my time and should stick with 125 or 147?

I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#2 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

There's no magic bullet.

#3 Part Of Me

Part Of Me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

124 is all you need

#4 TrackCage

TrackCage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

135s are for people that want to be friends with everyone but are, in fact, friends with no one.
  • Alfred Salveti and Stranger Danger like this

#5 Cranky Gunsmith

Cranky Gunsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:13 PM

124 is all you need

In my heart of hearts I think 147s put steel down a little better than 124s at the same power factor.

#6 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

I'm influenced by this belief 147's need to be going over 9XX for accuracy.  And I do some outlaw, steel type stuff with no PF and just wondering about running these in the 900 fps range and how they might perform.  Or maybe 124's that slow.  I really don't know.

Not really needing a "magic bullet" but if I can save a .10 of powder, drop a few FPS; since I don't have to make PF I might as well give it a try...

I like to rewatch election night 2016 coverage and I want to marry a conservative black girl who likes to shoot.

#7 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

I'm influenced by this belief 147's need to be going over 9XX for accuracy. And I do some outlaw, steel type stuff with no PF and just wondering about running these in the 900 fps range and how they might perform. Or maybe 124's that slow. I really don't know.

Not really needing a "magic bullet" but if I can save a .10 of powder, drop a few FPS; since I don't have to make PF I might as well give it a try...

If you are worried about a dimes worth of powder you might want to reconsider this hobby.
  • alphashooter likes this

#8 Dutchman195

Dutchman195

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

What's the verdict on these bullets.  From too fast to too slow, are these bullets just right?  Or am I wasting my time and should stick with 125 or 147?

They work and you get more per case for the same price than the 147s. 

The 124s are cool. The 135s are cool. even the 160s are cool. 

#9 TrackCage

TrackCage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

I'm influenced by this belief 147's need to be going over 9XX for accuracy. And I do some outlaw, steel type stuff with no PF and just wondering about running these in the 900 fps range and how they might perform. Or maybe 124's that slow. I really don't know.

Stupid logic. Heavier bullets cost more. Although you use less powder with heavy pills, your total per round round cost is higher.

If you want cheap, learn to pour lead.

#10 dansedgli

dansedgli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

If lead was free what do you pick?
  • Stranger Danger likes this

#11 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

If you are worried about a dimes worth of powder you might want to reconsider this hobby.

First time on a reloading board?

#12 Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

First time on a reloading board?

i just don’t get why someone will drop $2k on a press but worry about a $.02 primer. I sweep up and trash live primers and fresh powder all the time. The components are the cheapest part

#13 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

i just don’t get why someone will drop $2k on a press but worry about a $.02 primer. I sweep up and trash live primers and fresh powder all the time. The components are the cheapest part

Looking for a little better, something new, is part of it. 

FWIW I bought a few thousand 135's to try out.  I do just fine with 147's but why not. 

I don't have to worry about PF so why run 140pf if I don't have too.  If I can shoot less and it still performs, why not.  Maybe 135's will get me there. 

#14 MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:50 PM

I’ve run over 10,000 each of 124, 135, and 147. Probably triple that, but I’ll understate things here to ensure validity.

I go back and forth on whether it mattered or if I learned anything from this or not.

I know I heavily prefer 124s through heavier steel guns, but go back and forth on whether there’s an advantage in plastic ones.

Which probably means there isn’t.

I will definitely say this. In fifteen years of loading every powder and primer under the sun... guys loading for power factor are idiots.

Load for maximum accuracy. Often this puts your PF at 133-139ish. Fuck it, and run it.

It’s hilarious how many guys are content with 3-4” groups at 25 just because they think it feels soft. And that this is some kind of advantage.
  • chachacha and Stranger Danger like this
I won an IDPA match once. It was neat.

#15 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:04 PM

Most everyone is an idiot.  

I will definitely say this. In fifteen years of loading every powder and primer under the sun... guys loading for power factor are idiots.

Load for maximum accuracy. Often this puts your PF at 133-139ish. Fuck it, and run it.

It’s hilarious how many guys are content with 3-4” groups at 25 just because they think it feels soft. And that this is some kind of advantage.

Are you going to shoot 150 PF if it gives you .5 groups at 25 yards over 130 PF that gives you 1" groups.  No.

It all matters...  People that say it doesn't matter, be it guns, ammo or shoes are full of shit unless they are winning with a Ruger All American and Keds and shooting +p ammo.

#16 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:08 PM

I’ve run over 10,000 each of 124, 135, and 147. Probably triple that, but I’ll understate things here to ensure validity.

Doesn't matter how much you've shot, only how good you shoot and what you've won.

#17 Sad Sack

Sad Sack

Forum Tard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Doesn't matter how much you've shot, only how good you shoot and what you've won.

You are a dick.  Memphis, in a round about sort of way, was just trying to answer your question.  

This thread is dumb.  Your questions are dumb.  Your reaction to Doodies trying to answer your dumb questions is dumb.  I'm pretty sure that none of us give any fucks which bullet you shoot.

Now EABOD and GTFO.

No one likes me, and I don't care.

#18 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:00 PM

You are a dick.  Memphis, in a round about sort of way, was just trying to answer your question.  

This thread is dumb.  Your questions are dumb.  Your reaction to Doodies trying to answer your dumb questions is dumb.  I'm pretty sure that none of us give any fucks which bullet you shoot.

Now EABOD and GTFO.

STFU retrard.  MM can take care of himself.

Maybe you're new, but forums are where people ask questions.  I asked about 135's. I had never shot them before, So what.

MM trolled weak and I gave him a taste. 

Stop being the problem.

#19 Sweet T

Sweet T

Glock Master Race

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

Well, this thread took a cringe-y turn.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#20 Alfred Salveti

Alfred Salveti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

FWIW I loaded up 3.0 of Clays and ended up a cool 121 PF and ran my stock Glock 17 just fine.  I'll probably bump it a tenth or two and load up the whole case of bullets.  Not a magic bullet but definitely an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users