41 replies to this topic

#21 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Yeah ask him, I gotta know. ARe they turning out D class shootists from their most advanced class?

I don't know anything about their curriculum, but from the defensive pistol training I have seen and experienced, I think that is probably about right.  The better students coming out of a program with a few or several days of training might be like a C or D class shooter.

• Jankasom likes this
9254418645_6df4042018.jpg

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

#22 spiffy

spiffy

Cookie SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

This is what vexes me. I'm averaging 57% on classifiers for USPSA I should be Expert in the Vest Game or better. But I'm still just a lowly Marksman :(

A77854

To everyone one I beat in a match or on a stage. I'm a lard ass half blind screw up who doesn't fire a shot outside of a match.......just how bad do you suck now knowing that.

#23 Nimrod

Nimrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:04 AM

That chart is like all the other charts the internet is well known for. It isn't based on anything other than someone's opinion to determine what's valid. Yellow hats, ass hats, and glass counter ninjas. Kind of reminds me of all the faux media covering the Shooting Hunting Internet Trade show.

#24 Brownie

Brownie

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCamilla, Ga

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

This is what vexes me. I'm averaging 57% on classifiers for USPSA I should be Expert in the Vest Game or better. But I'm still just a lowly Marksman :(

This would lead me to believe that your style of shooting would fall into the "hoser" category. Ammirite?

#25 spiffy

spiffy

Cookie SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

This would lead me to believe that your style of shooting would fall into the "hoser" category. Ammirite?

I've gotten better at speed and hosing with shooting USPSA. I do transition well target to target and I have no problem getting lead on target.  Hauling my big ass around the stage does hold me back but it's IDPA!

A77854

To everyone one I beat in a match or on a stage. I'm a lard ass half blind screw up who doesn't fire a shot outside of a match.......just how bad do you suck now knowing that.

#26 Yard Sale

Yard Sale

Generation X Heterosexual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Locationbottom of the results sheet

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Please to add GSSF to chart.

Team F.T.P.

our guns are lubricated with the tears of crooked cops

#27 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Please to add GSSF to chart.

I got yer GSSF right here.

Attached File  Skills_zps102fc8f7_03.jpg   82.94KB   14 downloads

ETA:  WTF is wrong with this thing?  I tried to link the image from my flickr account, but it says 'You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.'  What community?

"Conscience is our guide, peace is our shelter, beauty and perfection is our life."- Bruce Leroy

#28 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

What is this "over learning" business?

#29 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

It's from a discussion on p-f where someone was inviting unqualified speculation as to what rankings, standards, skill levels, etc. were equivalent to each other, like the ever-popular USPSA B class = IDPA M class comparison. 

He then wanted to further relate those demonstrated levels of skill to the concept of 'overlearning' or 'automaticity.'  The significance to him was that there is apparently a lot of scientifically sound evidence that a motor skill reaching that level of automaticity, unconscious competence, etc., is subject to considerably less degradation under stress. 

Eventually, a near-consensus was reached that whether a person's skill reached the point of automaticity was separate and distinct from any particular skill level, and that while a low level of skill may or may not have reached automaticity, a certain high level of skill probably did indicate automaticity. 

Charts were modified and thrown up in total and complete speculation as to what that level of skill might be.

#30 Roper

Roper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSouth Jordan, Utah

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

I got yer GSSF right here.

attachicon.gifSkills_zps102fc8f7_03.jpg

ETA:  WTF is wrong with this thing?  I tried to link the image from my flickr account, but it says 'You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.'  What community?

The image worked for me when I clicked on it.  Anyway, two questions:

1. Are we assuming "production" type equipment?  Because 1.2 sec Mozambique?  7 yrds all A's?  Not saying it can't be done - just seems like that's an open gun type performance.  Same with the 3 sec FAST and 1.4 sec Bill Drill drills. 

Now that I think about it, maybe in MFCEO's youtube video, he was getting near 3 sec on FAST?  Can't remember.

2. Is that really you in the King of All Junk Carry picture?

#31 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

1.2 Mozambique = .75 draw + .2 split + .25 transition to head. Boss as hell, but theoretically possible. Probably why its waaaayyyy to the right.

1.4 bill drill = .75 draw + .13 splits(x5) again, pretty badass, but theoretically doable with production gear.

#32 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

The image worked for me when I clicked on it.  Anyway, two questions:

1. Are we assuming "production" type equipment?  Because 1.2 sec Mozambique?  7 yrds all A's?  Not saying it can't be done - just seems like that's an open gun type performance.  Same with the 3 sec FAST and 1.4 sec Bill Drill drills. 

Now that I think about it, maybe in MFCEO's youtube video, he was getting near 3 sec on FAST?  Can't remember.

2. Is that really you in the King of All Junk Carry picture?

1.  I was thinking production/carry type equipment.  But I would readily concede the chart is a fun thought experiment and probably has a lot of imprecision in it.  And the accuracy of the chart is probably highly variable by shooter.  I can shoot a 1.2x Mozambique a lot more often (sometimes) than I can a 1.4 Bill or 3.0 FAST (basically never.)

2.  Yes.

#33 Roper

Roper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSouth Jordan, Utah

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

1. I was thinking production/carry type equipment. But I would readily concede the chart is a fun thought experiment and probably has a lot of imprecision in it. And the accuracy of the chart is probably highly variable by shooter. I can shoot a 1.2x Mozambique a lot more often (sometimes) than I can a 1.4 Bill or 3.0 FAST (basically never.)

2. Yes.

Cool, to both answers.

There's a GSSF match here in Salt Lake in Sept this year that I'm planning in doing. I'll have to ask you all about it sometime.

#34 ny32182

ny32182

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

I would think a 1.2 Mozambique would be a lot easier than a 1.4 bill drill or 3.0 FAST, especially if you are counting the whole head box.  People that can pull off a .75 draw will beat .20 and .25 on the split and transition every time.

1.4 bill drill... I've never seen video evidence of anyone with production gear putting together 5x .13 splits in a row.

#35 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

I would think a 1.2 Mozambique would be a lot easier than a 1.4 bill drill or 3.0 FAST, especially if you are counting the whole head box.  People that can pull off a .75 draw will beat .20 and .25 on the split and transition every time.

1.4 bill drill... I've never seen video evidence of anyone with production gear putting together 5x .13 splits in a row.

Yeah, I think 1.5-1.6 would be more in line.

#36 dravz

dravz

84.75%

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

The significance to him was that there is apparently a lot of scientifically sound evidence that a motor skill reaching that level of automaticity, unconscious competence, etc., is subject to considerably less degradation under stress.

This is true, and proven by professional athletes everywhere everyday.

#37 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, I think you guys are right.  The 1.4 Bill is a good example of something kind of off in that chart.  Dude was asking for rank speculation so I obliged. 

#38 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, I think you guys are right.  The 1.4 Bill is a good example of something kind of off in that chart.  Dude was asking for rank speculation so I obliged. 

I agree.  A 1.4 BD is a hell of a stretch.  

#39 Mr_White

Mr_White

Junk Carry SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

My thought process was that for the far upper end of champion level shooters, maybe it breaks down like this:

.65 draw + .15 splits x 5 = 1.40

When I break it up that way, maybe not impossible?  For Ben, Eric G., the absolute top guys?  Maybe it is still unrealistic, but that's how I was thinking about it.

#40 Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Dr. Yellow Visor Guy

Gear queer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I agree. A 1.4 BD is a hell of a stretch.

The constituent parts are doable - a .7-,75 draw is fast but not impossible. .12-14 splits arent out of the realm of possibility either But putting it all together....

This guy almost had it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users