Photo

If you take money to write about a product, I assume you are biased.

PF Midget TPOG Troll

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Let me clarify, hockey rules, where we can beat the fuck out of each other and then sit in a penalty box for five minutes.

You want to beat people up over what they say on the internet?  

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#22 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

I think that thread got legs on his forum didn't it? What the fuck did this forum have to do with it?
As an aside about Caleb, he has been very explicit with me in person and he was candid on PF. If you pay him, he will write a review. It is pretty much what he does.

Oh, come on, Ben. You and somebody else started two separate threads here pointing out the pissing match that by that time was buried in a middle of otherwise useless topic. Then this new thread comes up. Getting legs, pointing out, same shit. Caleb writes reviews for money (btw, did that mean he'd write a positive review?), Doodie trolls, that's pretty much what they do.
  • Cretin Hop likes this
Bonafide asshole

#23 Mumbles

Mumbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:55 AM

Hi All,

I have been lurking here for some time, mum always told him if you haven't got anything good to say then don't say anything at all, but this thread has brought me out.

I just clicked on the link at the top of this thread to see what the shit fight was about apparently I am banned from there.

I thought that was a pretty good effort as I have never posted anything there, in fact I am not even registered there.

Is that some sort of record or it is just guilt by association?

Mumbles

#24 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

Oh, come on, Ben. You and somebody else started two separate threads here pointing out the pissing match that by that time was buried in a middle of otherwise useless topic. Then this new thread comes up. Getting legs, pointing out, same shit. Caleb writes reviews for money (btw, did that mean he'd write a positive review?), Doodie trolls, that's pretty much what they do.

Dammit... No credit. None at all.

#25 Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Here you go. Credit. You are the one on the right.

scutfarkusandgroverdill.jpg

• Twinkie likes this

Unless otherwise noted, expect that all my posting here is in true Doodie fashion.  If my post somehow upsets your sensibilities, well...there ya go.  

#26 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

I am thoroughly embarrassed. Not giving proper credits is like thousand times worse than not disclosing financial interests. Let's make a thread out of it.

Overdue credit:

Attached Files

• Ben likes this
Bonafide asshole

#27 RogerChandler1

RogerChandler1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

I think you guys are way off base. It's not about the tiny ammount of money Caleb may or may not receive.

It's really about internet credability / fame.

This goes for all the PF high up clique members. It is painfully obvious to me that is their one true goal of the whole forum - make them a "Somebody in the Industry". They give themselves gradious titles, defend each others like wolves, and will break all their own rules like clockwork.  I figured this out several months ago and have not been back since.

Doesn't Caleb sell insurance in the real world?

#28 The Virus

The Virus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

So wait, you mean to say if a publication that is paid for by ads being purchased by said industry begins doing truly objective reviews of products that may in fact turn out to be perceived as negative, may then in turn start to lose ad buying from other industry companies in fear that they themselves will receive truthful yet potentially negative reviews in said publication?

Say it ain't so..

#29 PupTown

PupTown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

So wait, you mean to say if a publication that is paid for by ads being purchased by said industry begins doing truly objective reviews of products that may in fact turn out to be perceived as negative, may then in turn start to lose ad buying from other industry companies in fear that they themselves will receive truthful yet potentially negative reviews in said publication?

Say it ain't so..

No, not according to a single person on Pistol-Forum.  Anyone connected to the 'industry' is above reproach.   :rolleyes:

Actually, the above scenario is a little better than what I think most bloggers do, which is start off decently and objectively, get a fan base based on the quality of the writing (or by way of a Top Shot appearance), and then accept money directly from companies in return for reviews, plugs, all without telling the readers which companies are paying for reviews.

I don't know that, say, Guns and Ammo has been caught being paid for positive reviews.  But everyone assumes the line between the editorial side and the marketing side are blurred.  Some bloggers, though, are definitely taking money or other perks from companies. 

Of course, blogs sell ads, too, so they are doubly suspect.

#30 Woodieproject

Woodieproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

While I agree that financial interests can and do introduce biases, I am stil trying to understand how this...

which is start off decently and objectively, get a fan base based on the quality of the writing (or by way of a Top Shot appearance), and then accept money directly from companies in return for reviews, plugs, all without telling the readers which companies are paying for reviews.

...1) is a problem

2)  is not a self-correcting issue.

Bonafide asshole

#31 Shithead23

Shithead23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAmerican desert

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Maybe Caleb could write up Brandon D's amazing useless POS basepad for magpul 30 rounders.  they could fluff eachother til the cows come home.

• Ben likes this

L2683

#32 glefos

glefos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Aren't threads already slow and boring...with most viewers wondering WTF is going on?

You must be confusing this with the other forum. However, I'm not one to argue with The Expert.

#33 glocktogo

glocktogo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

The same is true about all of the "reviewers" that just get the stuff for free.

No one ever wants to talk about those guys, or rather those vulcers.... The number of bottom sucking mouth breathers that do noting but write to companies trying to get shit for free so that they can "review it" is staggering. They openly promote snake oil products just because they got. It for free.

Also,Ever notice how you never see a bad review from any of these bottom feeders??? If they give a bad review they won't get free junk anymore. It's fucking pathetic.

One of my fav examples was a guy reviewing the snake oil alg trigger. He was so fucking ignorant on the workings of a trigger that he claimed it has zero creep yet right in his video it shows a live cut away receiver with an alg working inside and it had a massive amount of creep...

This problem is growing more and more every year.

Yet the the ignorant masses on forums and YouTube follow along mindlessly.

Unless a reviewer openly states at the beginning of a review how they obtained the product I rarely take them seriously.

There's one over on THR that openly stated if a product just out and out sucked, they'd send it back for a replacement. If that one sucked, they just wouldn't write the article. Then he had the gall to defend the gun shill industry as better than internet forum reviews. LOL

I really don't think it's a matter of taking money from companies to shill a product. I think it's an unwritten rule that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. When you read a gun review in a publication or interwebz venue that you know for a fact recieves advertising revenue, free shit to test they don't have to send back or other renumeration for promotional consideration, you have to take what they write with a grain of salt. Unethical? Probably not. Biased? Absolutely. The second I hear any excuse offered up in a product review, that sends a warning signal. Praise too effusive? Warning signal. There are lots of indicators the writer is trying to keep the industry happy if you're tuned into them.

I like reviews that tell me HOW something works, not just whether it does or not. I've yet to buy a single gun that couldn't be tweaked for better performance, but I need to know if there's somethiung worth building on under all that hype.

#34 Chett Luduston

Chett Luduston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

If TPOG had a podcast, you fuckers would be his most fervent listeners.  

#35 Ben

Ben

MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

I am surprised at how many people read reviews of guns.

• Nimrod likes this

#36 Chett Luduston

Chett Luduston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

You're definitely in the wrong business.

#37 Twinkie

Twinkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Here you go. Credit. You are the one on the right.

scutfarkusandgroverdill.jpg

I am thoroughly embarrassed. Not giving proper credits is like thousand times worse than not disclosing financial interests. Let's make a thread out of it.

Overdue credit: (Twinkie box)

FUCK YEA! At least Rover Dill didn't get beat up by a kid with glasses. I can totally accept that role. I can't believe I knew that name from memory.

#38 bpipe95

bpipe95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Gun, gear, and all the other bs accessories that this industry pumps out weekly trying to re-invent the wheel... It's the perfect breeding ground for leeches.
  • Nimrod likes this

#39 Shithead23

Shithead23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAmerican desert

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

I think the reviews in American Rifleman are spot on.

L2683

#40 spiffy

spiffy

Cookie SME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Best part of TPOGs post was this:

I think that thread got legs on his forum didn't it? What the fuck did this forum have to do with it?

As an aside about Caleb, he has been very explicit with me in person and he was candid on PF. If you pay him, he will write a review. It is pretty much what he does.

Cool we are the new M4.......how long till I get to be the Fatty IDPA SME?

A77854

To everyone one I beat in a match or on a stage. I'm a lard ass half blind screw up who doesn't fire a shot outside of a match.......just how bad do you suck now knowing that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PF, Midget, TPOG, Troll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users